Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Trying to help straighten a friend's iTunes library.

Before 2010, songs purchased on an AIM AppleID. After, a new GMail AppleID.

She has passwords to all. When I doubleclick a Protected song, prompts to authorize, she puts in password, then says computer is already authorized. Doesn't play. Repeat over and over.

Can log into store with that AppleID. Browse past purchases. But still can't play.

Would like to convert to the newer unprotected so she can get merged into Match.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Trying to help straighten a friend's iTunes library.

Before 2010, songs purchased on an AIM AppleID. After, a new GMail AppleID.

She has passwords to all. When I doubleclick a Protected song, prompts to authorize, she puts in password, then says computer is already authorized. Doesn't play. Repeat over and over.

Can log into store with that AppleID. Browse past purchases. But still can't play.

Would like to convert to the newer unprotected so she can get merged into Match.

They must have been purchased under another account.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
They must have been purchased under another account.

Can right click on protected song, goto 'Get Info' pane.

Clearly list the AppleID account. Refuses to play when logged in with that account.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Did you says she has iTunes Match? If so, just delete that one and download the matched one. I did this for all of mine and it worked nicely, and this even worked on old songs under my wife's iTunes account.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Did you says she has iTunes Match? If so, just delete that one and download the matched one. I did this for all of mine and it worked nicely, and this even worked on old songs under my wife's iTunes account.

No. She has considered Match, for her current AppleID.

But has hundreds and hundreds of songs locked to the old AppleID, that refuse access.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Try explicitly de-authorising the computer (Store menu) then play one of the songs and let it re-authorise.

Is she using an Apple computer?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
If she deletes one of her fairplay DRM songs and then re-downloads it from the Purchased page in iTunes, does it play?

P.S. If you manage to get the songs to play (only works if the PC has the key to play the file on it already), you can PM me and I might have a copy of Requiem somewhere that will let you strip the Fairplay DRM (that way she won't have any trouble in the future).

fairplay.png

Purchased, 128Kbps, No DRM

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Try explicitly de-authorising the computer (Store menu) then play one of the songs and let it re-authorise.

Is she using an Apple computer?

Yes, 2006 Macbook. Can't get latest OSX, but has latest iTunes.

I tried to deauthorize all, start from fresh, but that wasn't in the account screen. I should have tried just the single :/ grr will do.

----------

If she deletes one of her fairplay DRM songs and then re-downloads it from the Purchased page in iTunes, does it play?

P.S. If you manage to get the songs to play (only works if the PC has the key to play the file on it already), you can PM me and I might have a copy of Requiem somewhere that will let you strip the Fairplay DRM (that way she won't have any trouble in the future).

Purchased, 128Kbps, No DRM

I deleted a track from the Cars Soundtrack. It didn't reappear with a re-downloadable cloud icon :eek: like my personal iTunes does. So was afraid to do any more.

Yes, Preferences is set to show iTunes in the Cloud purchases.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Well this would be the point where I would be talking with iTunes support.

How many Albums/Songs did she loose? :(

Its like 520. Im gonna try the single deauthorize and re authorize tomorrow evening.

Then sending to Apple Store, genius plus iTunes support ought to be able to fix. Merge her two AppleID.

Reinforcing my relief I didn't start purchasing music till after DRM stripped. Waiting for movies to catch up. Till then...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.