Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
O.K. we all know the possible problems when using 3rd party Lightning cables which are not "approved" or "somehow certified" by Apple. They will mostly charge the iOS hardware, but again mostly will not sync. The "technical reason" be hid these is the so-called authentication chipping that Apple uses.

Now I have recently experienced an interesting case:

I have two 3rd party, and kind of "no name" cables (say cable #1 & cable #2). I have a iPhone 5, iPad mini (first gen.), iPad4 & finally iPad Air. All are upgraded to the current iOS 7.1.1.

Now when I plug cable#1, to any of these iOS devices that usual warning message does appear on the screen(s). But this cable charges the first three devices but NOT iPad Air. It will not sync any of the four.

When I plug cable#2, to any of these iOS devices, we're again welcomed with that usual warning message. This cable both charges and syncs the first three devices. It will NOT CHARGE iPad Air, but will SYNC.

I use original Apple Charger for these tests (the new 12watt one).

Anyone able to provide a sane explanation for the mishap in the case of iPad Air?

Thanks.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
O.K. we all know the possible problems when using 3rd party Lightning cables which are not "approved" or "somehow certified" by Apple. They will mostly charge the iOS hardware, but again mostly will not sync. The "technical reason" be hid these is the so-called authentication chipping that Apple uses.

Now I have recently experienced an interesting case:

I have two 3rd party, and kind of "no name" cables (say cable #1 & cable #2). I have a iPhone 5, iPad mini (first gen.), iPad4 & finally iPad Air. All are upgraded to the current iOS 7.1.1.

Now when I plug cable#1, to any of these iOS devices that usual warning message does appear on the screen(s). But this cable charges the first three devices but NOT iPad Air. It will not sync any of the four.

When I plug cable#2, to any of these iOS devices, we're again welcomed with that usual warning message. This cable both charges and syncs the first three devices. It will NOT CHARGE iPad Air, but will SYNC.

I use original Apple Charger for these tests (the new 12watt one).

Anyone able to provide a sane explanation for the mishap in the case of iPad Air?

Thanks.

Not certified cables seem to be very strange when you go to charge or sync with them. The not certified cable might not be able to carry a full 2.1-2.4 amp charge. Also your PC usb ports do not have a high enough output to charge the iPad at a fast speed. Apple certified cables are tested and they meet apple specs like a 2.4 amp current and sync properly.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Many third party-junk-cables will not work on iPhone 5C, 5S and iPad Air. Those same cables will charge iPhone 5 and older iPads and you may or may not get an error message.

I have stopped buying cheapo cables. I only get Tech Armor cables now. Lifetime warranty, best customer service. Sounds like a pitch, but they really are the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.