Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aapl-danial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Hello all,

I am looking to write a program to does the following:

Takes a 10-digit number from a column in excel
Visits 1 webpage and pastes that 10-digit number into a search field.
A new page loads from the search (only one)
And then I need a number extracted off (from the Page Source it's always line 692)
Then I need that new number pasted into another column of Excel

How can I go about doing this?

It needs to be done for roughly 1,000 10-digit numbers, with 1,000 pasted entries back into excel.

Thank you!

aapl-danial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Sure thing,

It's a tax website, and the numbers are "Parcel ID's" that are entered in the first search box.

http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/TaxCommissioner/TCSearch.asp

Here is a sample Parcel ID: 15 160 01 105

Enter that and the site goes to a Display. The number under Tax Information Summery", under "Total Taxes Billed" is $2,049.98. This is the number I need copied and pasted into an excel.

I poked around in the Page Source under developer, and the $2,049.98 number is listed on line 696.

Thanks!

Freez

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Python, firebug, beautiful soup

It may take a bit to set up, but google will help.

I will not write the python script for you, if you get all that installed and you need more help post your code.

I just completed a 33000 name scrape and python, beautiful soup and firebug were part of my methods.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I am looking to write a program...
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Training-Series-AppleScript-1-2-3/dp/0321149319

Good luck! Ask us if you get stuck. If you get really stuck you can hire someone; I mean that's how a lot of us make our livings.

You cannot expect the plumber to come over and fix your stuff for free can you? Just like you cannot expect software engineer's to write the code for you. But we will be more than happy to help you get past sticking points.

PS: I'd use PHP to scrape it.

numero

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
OR
No error checking. If something craps out with your browser or their server and the timing gets off then everything will stop. I figure for 1,000 items, for free, :) you can figure out how many good retrievals you have and chop the list down and start again.

1) Change the path and file name where I have "/Users/numero/Desktop/propNumbers.txt" to the path of your file with the property numbers in it. I'm expecting one string of numbers per line.

2) I write out the property number and the tax amount into the "TaxFile.txt" file on your desktop. If you restart the new data will be appended to this file.

Let me know if anything gives you trouble.

-numero

Code:
set this_file to (((path to desktop folder) as string) & "TaxFile.txt")

set tabChar to tab -- Have to do this because Safari has 'tab' in its dictionary.

set numbersFile to paragraphs of (read POSIX file "/Users/numero/Desktop/propNumbers.txt")

tell application "Safari"
	activate
	make new document
	set safariWindow to front window

repeat with nextLine in numbersFile
		if length of nextLine is greater than 0 then

set the clipboard to nextLine

set URL of tab 1 of safariWindow to "http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/TaxCommissioner/TCSearch.asp"
			delay 2 -- let the page load
			tell application "System Events"
				keystroke tab
				keystroke "v" using command down
				delay 1
				key code 36
				key code 36 -- 2 returns because on my tests my browser was remembering the numbers I used over and it needed a second 'return' to get past the autofill.
				delay 2 -- let the page load
			end tell

set pageText to text of current tab of safariWindow

set found to false
			set i to 70 -- Should be line 78 or 79. Start a ways up just to be sure to catch the line we want.
			set totalTaxesBilled to 0
			repeat while not found
				if paragraph i of pageText contains "Total Taxes Billed" then
					set totalTaxesBilled to (word 5 of paragraph i of pageText)
					my write_to_file(nextLine & tabChar & totalTaxesBilled & return, this_file, true)
					set found to true
				end if
				set i to i + 1
			end repeat
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

on write_to_file(this_data, target_file, append_data)
	try
		set the target_file to the target_file as string
		set the open_target_file to open for access file target_file with write permission
		if append_data is false then set eof of the open_target_file to 0
		write this_data to the open_target_file starting at eof
		close access the open_target_file
		return true
	on error
		try
			close access file target_file
		end try
		return false
	end try
end write_to_file

Reactions: Canal Noises
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.