Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
Hi,

I am wanting to create a directory, almost like a yellow pages for a section of my website. Me and my co-workers have made our small town's Chamber of Commerce website and we have a members section. We would like to have it like a directory almost, with the businesses broke down by what type of business, and have it searchable and what not. Any ideas on how I could achieve this on our site? Thanks in advance!

Here is an example:

http://www.commercelexington.com/directory

It doesn't need to be anywhere this complex at all, just showing what I am talking about.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
A little html and little php, good to go. I'm not sure what you want us to say.

If you want it to look almost exactly like the directory: google HTML elements and create lists of links

The search text could be done with a little php.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
I thought there might be some script or app that would help. As in after it's set up I coukd just add businesses and it would automatically sort/file it for me.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I don't know of a plugin off the top of my head that does that, but there are nearly 30,000 free plugins for WordPress, surely something will be close.

I always build custom plugins for the sites I work on, it is too much of a headache searching for something that ALMOST works, if only it had this little tweek. Then fighting with another's coding style and trying to learn how they did everything only to finally find out they forced a styling rule somewhere with an exclamation point that was completely overriding everything I did. So frustrating. I'd just rather build a plugin.

Yours seems like an easy enough project. I'll create one between the paid jobs I'm working on right now. It will be several months before I can get to it, so please look for another solution for the mean time.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Well, you'll probably want to create a database for it (e.g. MySQL/MariaDB or PostgreSQL). From there, you can use PHP to run the queries against it. It's standard fare stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.