Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Hi.
In the technique room where I´m currently working I saw an old graphite iMac standing in a corner collecting dust.
It seemed a bit sad and I was thinking of asking them if I could take it home if no one was using it any longer.
Qustion is will it just keep collecting dust in my home or could I put it to any use?

I´m not sure of what model it is, but I did see that it had the slot loading optical drive. I´m sure some of you guys know:)

EDIT I looked up on Wikipedia and realized it could be from between 1999-2001

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Does it still boot? It'd be nice to know some more about it. Anything about its case color? We can figure out what to do with it with that info. :D

Music server? Kids computer?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
That machine will run the latest OS, can take up to 1 gig of ram, you could upgrade the hard drive too if you wanted. What to use it for depends. It could be a music server, secondary computer in another room. Nice little machine really. i've got an older iMac than that and it still works fine for what I need it to do.

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
A friend is still using an iMac DV400 (Indigo) that she bought used in 2004. She'd been using an HP that thankfully died and I talked her into a Mac but she didn't want to spend a ton of money.

She runs Office, iTunes, and Safari with it. I tried to talk her into upgrading to a Mac mini but she loves the look of the old iMacs and it does just fine with what she uses it for. I helped her max out the RAM to 1GB and it's pretty zippy even with Jaguar.

I still see a lot of the old G3s in use in a lot of offices for administrative tasks. If it still boots there's still probably a lot of life left in it.

Check out http://www.lowendmac.com for more info on older Macs.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
My wife's sister has a 600MHz G4 iMac (graphite) that she uses for email, writing docs and storing her digital photos. It only has 128MB RAM and is running OS 9.1 but was still pretty responsive last time I played with it. Seems just as useful as my 1.8GHz Dell, more so since the Dell's registry got corrupted.

Try turning it on and see what its specs are.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Eidorian said:
Does it still boot? It'd be nice to know some more about it. Anything about its case color? We can figure out what to do with it with that info. :D

Music server? Kids computer?

It´s graphite, I asume it boots as they haven´t thrown it away.
My daughter is only 4 months, so I´m not sure how interseted she´ll be;)

My wife mostly use our ibook for surfing the web, so I guess I could get her to use the imac.

Music server sounds intersting, I need to look into that.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
plinden said:
My wife's sister has a 600MHz G4 iMac (graphite) that she uses for email, writing docs and storing her digital photos. It only has 128MB RAM and is running OS 9.1 but was still pretty responsive last time I played with it. Seems just as useful as my 1.8GHz Dell.

Get RAM, seriously. I have 1 GB in my G3 B&W and it's FAST for a G3. It boots almost as fast as my iMac G5.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
plinden said:
My wife's sister has a 600MHz G4 iMac (graphite) that she uses for email, writing docs and storing her digital photos. It only has 128MB RAM and is running OS 9.1 but was still pretty responsive last time I played with it. Seems just as useful as my 1.8GHz Dell, more so since the Dell's registry got corrupted.

I´ll try next week. Problem is I only go in there to pick up the camera I´m using so usualy I don´t have much time in there:(

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Um...I'll take it...

Send it this way. I have a 400mhz DV G3 iMac and a 500mhz G3 iMac running Panther like champs. Replaced their tiny 10 and 20 gig hard drives with cheap, 40 gig internals, added a bit of RAM and use them at work for email/word processor machines.

There is still a lot of life left in those puppies...

Note...not that I would use them though...too used to my 1.5ghz powerbook at this point...;)

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Seeing as it's a graphite is going to have at least a 400mhz CPU and it could be a 700mhz if your lucky. I just bought one for my gf, gonna stick a 40gb HDD and 1GB of ram, it should run OSX ok. All she wants it for is web surfing and to share her net around the house via Airport (so she can sit downstairs by the fire with her iBook lol)

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
I love 'em. I have collected 3 from a friend with computer scrap yard. I would take a old iMac over any PC any day.

They are perfect for simple tasks like web surfing, email, music and word.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I love the style of the crt iMacs.

If I had a 400MHz+ I would use it as a music server, possibly a scanner station, and/or play some older games like Riven that just is not possible on my current iMac or PB in sig. They do make great computers for little kids who want to draw, type, goof around, etc. My 5 year old niece likes to use the hockey puck mouse as it fits her hand better.

bookofjames

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2005
yep. I just bought a 2nd hand 400MHz Indigo (got a great deal for it) and slapped on 512 + 128 RAM on it. Installed Tiger and its zipping along nicely. Surfing, simple text editing is no problem at all.

Macs are simply GREAT! (sorry couldn't resist)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
As I've written on MR before G3 iMacs are great and indestructible machines. Especially the firewire ones -- over 400mhz. My mom had a G3500 with a gig of ram and 7200rpm hd until ... yesterday when I convinced my seventy year old mom and stepfather to get a new G5 iMac.

They are going to take classes on .mac tomorrow at the new local Apple Store. iLife and iWork classes, too. He still likes the G3 iMac so he's going to keep it and let my mom use the new one. Jobs' scrapbooking with grandma on iLife and .mac won me over.

But I still have SEVEN other friends with iMac G3s that I helped set up for them. Great computers. Ram and better hard drive is the answer for them.

P.S. I've only seen one poster on MR who ever had a 700mhz iMac G3. Would love to see one of those up close.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I know the perfect use for it...
Finding a cure for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Cancer. Link to Folding@Home

It is very easy to set up, and once you download the program, you don't need to do anything more. In fact, the computer can do this while sitting in the corner and collecting dust. :p

Make sure you join the MacRumors Team. :) Link

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Hi again.
Seems like a lot of people have a fondness for the original iMac (me included).
The fact that I couldn´t afford it when they came out (poor student at the time using a Performa 5400, my first Mac) makes me really wan´t one now.
I hope they let me have it.

What kind of internet connection do they have? Can I connect it to my broadband at home?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
My mate's a graphic designer in a small town on the border between NSW and Vic and his business computers are B&W G3's but his main home computer is a 600MHz graphite iMac. It's a ripper, currently he's running Jaguar and 256MB RAM and is unlikely to upgrade (he doesn't make a huge amount of money and what little he does make goes towards other things) but it's a great little computer. I certainly can feel the difference in speed between my iBook and his iMac (well I'd hope so considering the raw clock speed of mine is 2x faster than his) but it's still no slouch. I think it's Jaguar that hurts it though - I don't like having to use anything less than Panther (F9!! Where the hell is that window?? Oh yeah, no exposé....).

Good little machine though...

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
that thing can be great
i had a graphite 500mhz dv se it ram was upgraded to 512mb and it ran tiger swell
if it would of had panther or jag on it it would have been even faster

codepoet80

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2005
California said:
P.S. I've only seen one poster on MR who ever had a 700mhz iMac G3. Would love to see one of those up close.

I had one, I'll spoil it for you: they look exactly the same as the 500Mhz ones ;)

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
yoak said:
What kind of internet connection do they have? Can I connect it to my broadband at home?

Sure can. I have 2 Graphite iMacs.

They have ethernet for wired connection, an Airport slot for an old Airport Card (with and adapter) or you could use a USB wireless adapter (that's what I set up for my son).

If it will boot you can upgrade the ROM (found on Apple's support pages) and then upgrade to OSX 10.3.* with enough RAM.

If it will come on but won't boot up it could be the Hard drive, RAM could be missing or the clock battery could be dead (well that may not keep it from booting).

It can't hurt to ask for it.

Good luck.

Oh, by the way, both of mine were free and needed a little work.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
codepoet80 said:
I had one, I'll spoil it for you: they look exactly the same as the 500Mhz ones ;)

I know they look alike -- shoulda said I wanted to play with one up close and personal! ;) Do you still have it? Musta been pretty fast for its day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.