PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU want out of the new iBook?

myshoeshurt
Jan 19, 2006, 04:38 PM
I'm anticipating the new iBook (MacBook?) so much that my shoes hurt. Personally, I'd love for the rumored 13" widescreen to come true... as well as color options. The bottom should be brushed metal like the iPod backing. MagSafe connector is a must...

What about specs? What do you guys want from the new iBook? How about your thoughts on a MacBook Pro-style integrated iSight camera?

-john

nfs2
Jan 19, 2006, 04:39 PM
I like the camera idea, as well as a metal bottom (would look awesome with glossy black).

badmofo9000
Jan 19, 2006, 04:41 PM
I want the rumored 13" screen with:

40GB HD
mag lock power adapter
1.5-1.7ish cpu speed(2 models) core solo
512mb ram standard
x1300 w/64 mb ram video card

sintaxi
Jan 19, 2006, 04:51 PM
I want it thin (even if that means no optical)
be able to power the 30" screen
and dual core. even if its only a 1.4Ghz
10h bat
I think this is all posible if you think of how little power the intel chip uses.

Oh I cant help but think its going to be a tablet like the "convertable"

badmofo9000
Jan 19, 2006, 04:59 PM
I want it thin (even if that means no optical)
be able to power the 30" screen
and dual core. even if its only a 1.4Ghz
10h bat
I think this is all posible if you think of how little power the intel chip uses.

Oh I cant help but think its going to be a tablet like the "convertable"

I believe the new intel chip uses just as much power as the G4 just it is more powerfull. So I don't believe battery life will be improved greatly.

mopppish
Jan 19, 2006, 05:09 PM
I'm anticipating the new iBook (MacBook?) so much that my shoes hurt.
Is that a Mr. Show reference? :eek:
Oh yeah, ibook. You know, by the time I need to buy a new computer, I'm almost thinking that I'd like to buy a top-of-the-line macbook pro and extra display, mouse, keyboard, etc. instead of the imac/ibook combination I have now.
But things that would be cool-
-isight built-in
-5400rpm HD
-dual-core is probably not necessary right away, but the mac mini and ibook should go dual at the same time whenever that happens
-it had better keep firewire!
-brighter, wider screen

I think that it would be nice if the ibook replacement kept the same architecture as the pro models i.e. number of cores & RAM speed & FSB ratio, but maybe just had a cheaper video card, slower HD (with 7200 in pro), slightly slower clock speed, different casing, etc. They should still be able to differentiate the two lines without absolutely crippling the non-pro model like they have been.

Chundles
Jan 19, 2006, 05:09 PM
Low voltage Core Duo processor, slower than MBP.
(OR - Current MPB processor with MBP going over to Merom)
13.3" 1280x768 bright screen (like the new MBP's screen only smaller).
x1300 64MB graphics.
512MB RAM.
60GB HDD.
Mini-DVI out with extended desktop/mirroring support.
Superdrive.
Better speakers.
2x USB 2.0.
1x Firewire.
GigE ethernet.
Audio in/out.

Thinner, lighter, better materials.
Same price.

Superdrive
Jan 19, 2006, 05:15 PM
Gunmetal black case that wears as good as the current iBook and better than the current MBP.

If they can't come through on the metal, they should have some nice color options on the plastic case.

I'd like a 12" (4x3) screen, but if 13.3" is the way to go, I'll make it work. The speakers need to be louder than the current 12" offerings.

The durability and looks of the MacBook is key to me. I trust Apple will come through on the rest of the specs.

iSaint
Jan 19, 2006, 05:17 PM
higher resolution screen!

rccola70
Jan 19, 2006, 05:33 PM
Bluetooth-standard, higher resolution screen, Core Solo or even Core Duo, Superdrive standard, 80 gig hd standard, 512 MB ram standard, x600 or x700 or x800 mobility, 128 mb VRAM.

Wishful Thinking...

powerbook911
Jan 19, 2006, 06:38 PM
I want it to take the aluminium design and be named Mac Book.

Include DVI out like iMac and include low-end Core Duo. $1300, oh, and a 13" widescreen.

myshoeshurt
Jan 19, 2006, 06:45 PM
x1300 64MB graphics.
512MB RAM.
60GB HDD.
Superdrive.
Better speakers.
2x USB 2.0.
1x Firewire.
GigE ethernet.
Audio in/out.

Same price.

... you hit the nail right on the head. Pretty much exactly what I want (and entirely do-able).

myshoeshurt
Jan 19, 2006, 06:47 PM
Is that a Mr. Show reference? :eek:

"My shoes hurt too, Dad... my shoes hurt too."

MrCrowbar
Jan 19, 2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.applele.com/img/pict05_ibookmini_r01b.jpg
http://www.applele.com/img/pict05_ibookmini_r01a.jpg
http://www.applele.com/img/pict05_ibookmini_r01c.jpg

(http://www.applele.com/pict_05ibookmini_r01.html)

Nermal
Jan 19, 2006, 06:57 PM
I'd hate an external CD drive.

ITASOR
Jan 19, 2006, 06:58 PM
^ That's a terrible ergonomic trackpad design. My wrist would fall off.

G5Unit
Jan 19, 2006, 07:12 PM
13.3 inch widescreen
Duel Core intel 1.4 to 1.6ghz
60gb standard
512mb memory standard
iSight
Magnetic Power thing
1 firewire
2 USB
1 optical in
4X Duel Layer Super Drive
64mb X300 Go

runninmac
Jan 19, 2006, 09:32 PM
13.3 inch widescreen
Duel Core intel 1.4 to 1.6ghz
60gb standard
512mb memory standard
iSight
Magnetic Power thing
1 firewire
2 USB
1 optical in
4X Duel Layer Super Drive
64mb X300 Go

Basicly took the words right out of my mouth except 2 things

Not even the MBP's have a dual super drive so i doubt the iBook would get one, but it would be a nice addition.

And i have no idea how good a X300 Go is, but I would hope they will allow you to hook up another display ("legally")

Eidorian
Jan 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
x1300 64MB graphics.
512MB RAM.
60GB HDD.
Superdrive.
Better speakers.
2x USB 2.0.
1x Firewire.
GigE ethernet.
Audio in/out.

Same price.I'd buy that SO fast. :mad:

badmofo9000
Jan 19, 2006, 10:42 PM
I really have to say, I have not seen those mock up pictures before. And... I love them. I would buy something simalar to that today. I want one now. Also I would be willing to bet the ibook gets a core solo, they will be alot cheaper than a core duo.

sintaxi
Jan 19, 2006, 10:50 PM
those pictures are makig me drool.

thats exacty what Im hoping for.

the external Optical is really a great idea. It doesnt make sense at first, but just look at how big an optical drive is. I know a lot of people like the PB/MBP but for those who have a Power Mac something small and light like that is far more apealing.

I am a designer and I hate working on laptops. I will always use a desktop for a main workstation. so what I am looking for is something small for writing, and to have the power to open a Photoshop or After Effects file for a client in need be.

Up the iBook has always been a week PB with no advantage other than cost. they relly need to make the ibook (macbook) its own thing with its own advantages.

^ wow. I really need to start reading my posts before I submit. thats horrible! :D

jamdr
Jan 19, 2006, 11:26 PM
those pictures are makig me drool.

thats exacty what Im hoping for.

the external Optical is really a great idea. It doesnt make sense at first, but just look at how big an optical drive is. I know a lot of people like the PB/MBP but for those who have a Power Mac something small and light like that is far more apealing.

I am a designer and I hate working on laptops. I will always use a desktop for a main workstation. so what I am looking for is something small for writing, and to have the power to open a Photoshop or After Effects file for a client in need be.

Up the iBook has always been a week PB with no advantage other than cost. they relly need to make the ibook (macbook) its own thing with its own advantages.
1. Please don't double post

2. Apple will not release an iBook without an optical drive. Sub-compact notebooks are a very niche market, especially in the US. No one wants one and personally I think it's a horrible idea.

me_94501
Jan 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
I would like the name "iBook" to be used for the next-gen iBook. The "MacBook" name blows.

sintaxi
Jan 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
what is the big deal about having an opical drive on the go? MBP is for pro users who use a laptop like a workstation.

Do people actually make cd mixes and carry around a stack of blank cd-r while sitting in starbucks? Or perhaps they brought all their install discs and reinstalling OSX while having a latte'.

5 years ago CD-R was our main form of storage. there was no other. now a days we keep 2 gig sticks on out keychains.

Audio CD Players are the only devices that require an actual disc.

believe me. it is time to change our thinking. They simply are not needed in a notebook.

Chundles
Jan 20, 2006, 08:05 AM
what is the big deal about having an opical drive on the go? MBP is for pro users who use a laptop like a workstation.

Do people actually make cd mixes and carry around a stack of blank cd-r while sitting in starbucks? Or perhaps they brought all their install discs and reinstalling OSX while having a latte'.

5 years ago CD-R was our main form of storage. there was no other. now a days we keep 2 gig sticks on out keychains.

Audio CD Players are the only devices that require an actual disc.

believe me. it is time to change our thinking. They simply are not needed in a notebook.

Well, watching a DVD on a train is a bit of a bugger if you have to plug in an external drive just to do it, as is watching a DVD on a plane where the use of outboard peripherals is prohibited.

When traveling it's nice to have everything built in, no arsing about with an external CD drive when you want to burn some CD's of your photos to send home.

Not to mention it would take up a port that can otherwise remain free.

Apple have shown they can build a complete laptop that is only 1" thin, I think with the little extra space the wider format would bring and by removing the modem (prematurely in my opinion - now I have to take another little port-sapping dongle with me just because Apple think every hotel/conference centre/public place has high-speed net access - but that's not a topic for here) I think it could be possible to build a laptop as sturdy and as light as the iBook but in a case about 1.1 or 1.2 inches thick.

sintaxi
Jan 20, 2006, 09:44 AM
Well, watching a DVD on a train is a bit of a bugger if you have to plug in an external drive just to do it, as is watching a DVD on a plane where the use of outboard peripherals is prohibited.

When traveling it's nice to have everything built in, no arsing about with an external CD drive when you want to burn some CD's of your photos to send home.

Not to mention it would take up a port that can otherwise remain free.

Apple have shown they can build a complete laptop that is only 1" thin, I think with the little extra space the wider format would bring and by removing the modem (prematurely in my opinion - now I have to take another little port-sapping dongle with me just because Apple think every hotel/conference centre/public place has high-speed net access - but that's not a topic for here) I think it could be possible to build a laptop as sturdy and as light as the iBook but in a case about 1.1 or 1.2 inches thick.

ok. those are all good points. but a PB or a MBP would do all those things you described.

I would just like to see the iBook (macbook) it own thing. with its own advantages. not just a poor mans MBP.

I would rather have an extra RAM slot than an optical.
less weight, longer bat, and thinner. seams like a good trade off to me.

but no one has yet to agree with me so I will shut up now.:rolleyes:

sigamy
Jan 20, 2006, 10:34 AM
I'm split on the sub-notebook idea. I'd love a smaller iBook mini, but there definetly are times when an internal optical drive would be best....decisions, decisions.

I was recently on a plane and the guy next to me had some Wintel sub-notebook. It was pure white like an iBook and he was watching episodes of "The Office" in iTunes for Windows. It really made me wish Apple made a sub-note.

revfife
Jan 20, 2006, 10:37 AM
1. We can forget about any type of "metal" enclosure. (Remember we want Apple to lower the price not raise it)
2. Probably not going to have screen mirroring support still (Takes away MBP sales)

So what does that leave us?
I see:
Only one model initially:
Revised form factor
1.5 Core Solo
64 x1300
512 MB expandable to 1.5
60 GB HD expandable to 100 GB
13" widescreen format
Magsafe
...and the most important thing: Available in your choice of White or Black

jefhatfield
Jan 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
1. We can forget about any type of "metal" enclosure. (Remember we want Apple to lower the price not raise it)
2. Probably not going to have screen mirroring support still (Takes away MBP sales)

I see:
Revised form factor
1.5 Core Solo
64 x1300
512 MB expandable to 1.5
13" widescreen format
Magsafe

i can envision a core duo if the price of the chip comes down by then, and have number and choice of ports and screen size be the major differences between an ibook and a macbook pro

before the macbook pro, the ibook and the powerbook shared the same processor and offered different ports and choices of ports and screens

by design the macbook pro should have at least one more port than the ibook to justify the price difference

maybe a very rudimentary ibook with core duo and combo drive could be at $999 usd, and varying upgrades from $1299 on up with superdrives, more ram, widescreen lcd formats, and larger hard drives

i think the dual core, low voltage laptop pentiums are going to become a standard among laptops at nearly every price point

jefhatfield
Jan 20, 2006, 11:06 AM
ok. those are all good points. but a PB or a MBP would do all those things you described.

I would just like to see the iBook (macbook) it own thing. with its own advantages. not just a poor mans MBP.

if targeted to students and everyday home users like me, (not hard core gamers), then the small size, durable plastic body, and good battery time could make the ibook its own machine capable of satisfying most of that market

it's already a given that an ibook can run photoshop well enough and run other adobe/macromedia apps with relative ease, but it would be great for apple to shoot for a sub-4 lb. battery life road champ in their new ibook

so maybe a single low voltage pentium processor would be more appropriate

Chundles
Jan 20, 2006, 06:33 PM

But I can't afford a PowerBook or a MacBook Pro, I don't want to have to sacrifice ultimate usability when I don't have to. I'm fine with paying less for a less capable machine so long as it can do everything I need it to do with a minimum of fuss but I do not want to have to pay the $1500 difference just to be able to use a laptop as a properly featured computer.

Apple have shown they can make a thinner MacBook with all the features, with new materials and more space they'd easily be able to do the same for the iBook replacement whilst keeping the simplicity of the "everything included" form factor.

Epicurus
Jan 20, 2006, 08:45 PM
If the iBooks get an iSight built in like the MacBooks (which seems very likely), then Apple should at least offer the smallest model (12") without the camera. If the iSight 12" hits the old price point of $999, then the iSight-free 12" should come in at $899 or less. Front Row might be hard to avoid, but still, knocking out the camera should drop the base model iBook a good bit below $1000.

It may not be the "iBook mini" people have been wanting, but a really inexpensive Apple laptop should sell like hotcakes leading up to the start of Fall term 2006. If Apple is really aggresive about cutting features we might really see the 20-25% thickness reduction rumored about the Intel PowerBooks...:D

stefan15
Jan 20, 2006, 09:21 PM
Widescreen (13/14") and a fast processor preferrably low voltage with 2mb cache. Core Solo? If that hasn't been announced yet, I can't see Intel using it in the iBook. I'm going to assume they are under production currently and will be using a Core Duo.

Elrond39
Jan 21, 2006, 02:12 AM
Somehow I don't see Apple putting in a Core Solo, considering that many new WinTel laptops are utilizing the Core Duos... Apple prides itself on being cutting-edge, and so I don't think that a Solo will achieve that aim while also pleasing consumers.

Moreover, I don't see Apple using an external drive... I own an Acer Travelmate C110 TCi convert-able tablet laptop, and the external was the first to go. I've had so many issues with the drive, the connector, etc etc. Apple is about ease of use, and I think that an iBook (MacBook [-Express], whatever) should maintain that, and an external is not the way to do it. Unless the 12" would be ultra-portable, and the 13.3" widescreen not... In all fairness, I would love for it to be thin, but I wouldn't sacrifice the simplicity of a built-in drive for it.

And, yes, I expect the black and white option as well.

macg4
Jan 21, 2006, 08:46 AM
I beleive it shoudl have the following:
-Core Duo processor
-13" lcd and also 14" screen option
-512mb ddr standard memory
-80gb sata internal hd
-128mb ati mobile video card
-built in airport extreme
-choice of ethier cd drive/ cdr-w& dvd combo/ or cdr/dvd-r combo drive
-credit card size remote for front row, etc.. that clips in the side of the ibook.

I have owned 3 ibooks in the past and loved em all, hope they make me wanna buy another one!

Well thats all i got :)

weldon
Jan 21, 2006, 10:12 AM
I just want to pile on and say that I think the idea of offering the iBook in glossy white and glossy black (like the iPod) is a great idea.

iGary
Jan 21, 2006, 10:47 AM
A usable LCD.

Val-kyrie
Jan 21, 2006, 05:08 PM

I see:
Revised form factor
1.5 Core Solo
64 x1300
512 MB expandable to 1.5
13" widescreen format
Magsafe

This sounds very much like what I expect Apple to release (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2079018&posted=1#post2079018) in the early/late Spring.

However, what I want is at least one revision away.

14.1" widescreen
2.0 GHz Core-Duo Merom chip
MRX1600 256 MB
1GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
80GB 7200 RPM HDD
DVD+/- RW DL
Modem
S-Video
Hardware Wi-Fi switch to turn it on/off
4 USB 2.0 ports
1 Firewire 400
Digital audio in/out
HDMI/Digital video in/out
Express Card/34 slot AND
PCI Card slot Type I/II

Of course this sounds more like a MacBook Pro, but I can dream, can't I???
Actually, the first revision of the MBP should receive the MRX1800-it should be released by then.

yankeefan24
Jan 21, 2006, 05:33 PM
I posted this in another thread:
…MacPortable will be something for the 30th. available in 5 colors (white, black, metallic black, platinum, and aluminium.) 11,13, or 15" widescreen, airport extreme, bluetooth, 802.11n maybe, wireless card (you choose between service like verizon/vodafone, cingular,etc.). It will be light(er) than the ibook and powerbook(MBP), 1" thin, switchable bay (like switch between superdrive, dl superdrive, and extra hdd, battery etc.) core duo available for 13 and standard on 15, core solo for 11 and 13 standard. It would NOT be a pro laptop so its not a MBP, but its more designed for travel then ibook (MB).

the MacPortable would have 6 hours of battery plus the expandable bay to 15 hours. And will automatticly turn off what your not using (if no airports are available, it goes into low power standby, etc.)

i think sony makes a good sub-compact notebook, with an internal optical drive (im not sure if its actually sub compact) http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=oLLkJS7Gvrrk5W0UZBLuLmHWD7b8wUSCgfY=?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_TXSeries&Dept=computers
if apple could make something like that…i would buy. it wouldn't be as nice as the MacPortable but i would settle for that.

EDIT: I kno that would be more expensive than the current ibook, but im saying as an additional laptop line. i never really liked to ibook (too slow, too thick, too small hdd, etc.) but if apple made an sub-compact laptop i would probably buy.

shrimpdesign
Jan 21, 2006, 05:55 PM
Somehow I don't see Apple putting in a Core Solo, considering that many new WinTel laptops are utilizing the Core Duos... Apple prides itself on being cutting-edge, and so I don't think that a Solo will achieve that aim while also pleasing consumers.

Pleasing customers? You mean, like in price? The Core Solo will most likely be less $$ than the Duo, that means a better price for consumers.... sounds like the iBook to me. MacBook Pros will have power, MacBooks will be cheaper. They'll use the same processor as the Mac Mini. You people are setting the bar way to high for the MacBook. Personally I think it'll turn out like this:

* 1Ghz - 1.6Ghz Core Solo (if the Solos are indeed released by Intel before the end of the year)
* 60GB HD
*ATI video X1xxx series, lower than the X1600.
*Glossy like the iPod to appeal to that market. (hoping for a brushed metal bottom)
*Widescreen 13.1 and 14 or 15(?)
*built-in iSight (I'm betting this'll be standard in apple displays and all-in-one computers by the end of the year.
* remote and front row (perhaps optional?)
* optical drive, combo no superdrive

Apple won't get rid of the optical drive, OS X comes on DVD, same with tons of software. That being said, I think with the Intel transition (meaning cooler processors), I think we'll see a Apple PDA/Tablet sometime without an optical drive. But we'll see if that happens.