PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro or Intel Imac + G4 Ibook

ieani
Jan 19, 2006, 11:07 PM
I was looking at the 1.83Ghz Macbook Pro but then I saw the new Imac and it is cheaper but with a faster processor, bigger screen, more hard drive space, dual layer burner. Now I really need the portability of a laptop for travel but dont necessairly need all the Macbook features with me all the time. So would it be an intelligent idea to buy one of the Imacs and then use the remaining cash to get a lower-end G4 Ibook? Or should I just stick the simplicity of owning one computer? Would it be easy to transfer files from the Ibook to the imac?

mad jew
Jan 19, 2006, 11:13 PM
I have the iMac and iBook combination (although it's an iMac G5, not an Intel iMac) and it suits me down to the ground. It gives you a spare machine if one goes down or is being used intensively plus an overall faster computing experience. :)

ieani
Jan 19, 2006, 11:17 PM
My biggest problem is I dont actually need a computer until this fall for school but I want so very badly right now.

mad jew
Jan 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
Maybe get the iMac now, see what you think of it, and then get an iBook (or whatever equivalent Mac laptop will be out then) when school goes back. :)

ieani
Jan 19, 2006, 11:29 PM
A laptop would currently be more useful. I already have a very fast WinPC desktop I can use for awhile. As much as I wanted to see the Macbook Pro announced. I think now I have more use for the intel ibook.

LACOSTE
Jan 19, 2006, 11:33 PM
yep. if u like you can by the iMac intel core duo now and buy the upgraded iBook this April.

Or, buy the g4 ibook now, and buy the 30th anniversary mac :) on april.

iBook is enough for school stuff really, and there are great deals with MS office now. some offer it for free especially in department stores... (eg MYER in sydney offers free office to any mac bought in the store till 27 Jan)

Danksi
Jan 19, 2006, 11:36 PM
Ditto Mad Jew's setup. It's nice having a desktop (iMac G5) and then a small laptop (iBook) for wandering.

Since you're keen on a laptop, a little more than a desktop right now, perhaps you should go for the tried and trusted iBook and then a Rev.B Intel iMac.

If I were buying now I may be a little nervous about buying a iBook G4 - just because at some point the new iBooks are 'supposed' to be due.

Otherwise, since you don't actually need one just yet, sit on your hands and wait :)

ieani
Jan 19, 2006, 11:41 PM
Ditto Mad Jew. It's nice having a desktop (iMac G5) and then a small laptop (iBook). I think if I were buying now, I'd probably go for the Intel iMac, but be nervous about buying a iBook G4 - just because at some point the new iBooks are 'supposed' to be due.

I find my combo does me nicely. :)

Well the price of the G4 ibooks is what appeals to me. A current G4 would do everything I would need it to do as long as I had a desktop for DVD burning and authoring, storing my massive music collection, audio encoding and other CPU/Ram intensive tasks.

powerbook911
Jan 20, 2006, 12:56 AM
It would probably make more sense to get the Intel iMac now, and then whatever updated iBook in the Spring, when it comes out. The reason being is that you may use these machines for several years, and I don't know if I'd want to think I had *years* of a G4 ahead of me.

ieani
Jan 20, 2006, 11:41 AM
Will the intel ibooks remain around $1000?

electronboy
Jan 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
we need to know what apps you run before I can make a recommendation

ieani
Jan 20, 2006, 12:42 PM
we need to know what apps you run before I can make a recommendation

Im actually on a WinPC now, hoping to convert to Mac. Heres what I run on this:

DVD decrypter
DVD shrink
LimeWire Pro
Bit Comet
Itunes
Smart FTP (so I can FTP to my modded XBOX)
GAIM
Nero Burning Rom
FireFox
DVD encoding with Intervideo(casual only, ive been encoding lost for my brother)
Xlink Kai (for free online Halo 2)
XVid movies on Windows Media Player

If I were to buy an Imac, what would I need so I could connect to my wireless network? I have a Dlink 524 router.

MacRumorUser
Jan 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
I decided somthing similar.

I'm replacing my powerbook 15" screen problem G4 and couldn't decide between macbookpro or imac..

I wanted the power of the new macs and the imac offers best bang for buck, bu t I liked surfing the net outside on the patio or tucked up in bed and so I would miss a laptop.

After maxing out the 1.83ghz macbookpro to best spec making it comparable to the imac duo 2Ghz there was around 700 difference... That's a big difference no matter who you are.

After racking my head I decided upon getting a 20" imac duo and then buying a G4 12" ibook off ebay or similar.. That way I get best of both worlds. Power of a desktop when I need it, and the flexibility of dinky 12" ibook for taking to bed :D

ieani
Jan 20, 2006, 04:39 PM
The reviews on CNET and PC Mag have come out today and I really am considering one now. I just need come convincing either way. Maybe Ill go to an Apple store and play around with them. Are they instock at stores now?

dwd3885
Jan 20, 2006, 05:09 PM
I decided somthing similar.

I'm replacing my powerbook 15" screen problem G4 and couldn't decide between macbookpro or imac..

I wanted the power of the new macs and the imac offers best bang for buck, bu t I liked surfing the net outside on the patio or tucked up in bed and so I would miss a laptop.

After maxing out the 1.83ghz macbookpro to best spec making it comparable to the imac duo 2Ghz there was around 700 difference... That's a big difference no matter who you are.

After racking my head I decided upon getting a 20" imac duo and then buying a G4 12" ibook off ebay or similar.. That way I get best of both worlds. Power of a desktop when I need it, and the flexibility of dinky 12" ibook for taking to bed :D

if you're going to just be surfing the net on your laptop, just get a windows pentium m machine. about the same price as an ibook and it surfs the net so so much faster

ieani
Jan 20, 2006, 05:13 PM
if you're going to just be surfing the net on your laptop, just get a windows pentium m machine. about the same price as an ibook and it surfs the net so so much faster

Maybe hes like me. I am done with windows, fast or not I will not spend any money on a non-mac.

MacRumorUser
Jan 20, 2006, 06:11 PM
Maybe hes like me. I am done with windows, fast or not I will not spend any money on a non-mac.

I would not spend my money on a windows laptop, as simple as that. For surfing the web and stuff I'll stick with safari or firefox running without the hassle of updating virus definitions etc.. Besides the speed of a pentium m machine running norton or similar in the background is comparable to the ibook.

I dont want a laptop with windows XP, not out of any hatred for microsoft, it's just not for me personally. I fix enough of the bloody things for people in my locality that makes using my macs (i have a number of them) so much more reasuring...

Even the ibook has a better build quality than anything Dell have ever put out.

zap2
Jan 20, 2006, 06:17 PM
Get intel iMac now , and when you go back to school get an iBook/MacBook/What ever it's going to be called with intel chip

i have iMac+iBook and its a great Combo! Your PC notebook should do when your out

ieani
Jan 20, 2006, 06:21 PM
Get intel iMac now , and when you go back to school get an iBook/MacBook/What ever it's going to be called with intel chip

i have iMac+iBook and its a great Combo! Your PC notebook should do when your out

How would the intel imac perform in comparison with my 3Ghz P4 HP? Could it handle DVD encoding , itunes, ichat, and firefox/safari all running at the same time? Dual processors are great for multitasking but to what extent, how does this compare to hyperthreaded processors?

mad jew
Jan 20, 2006, 06:27 PM
The Duo in the iMac will be significantly faster than that Hyperthreaded Pentium 4. It's not strictly a dual processor but rather dual core FWIW.

Oh, and multitasking on Windows is a joke compared with OSX. :)

spencecb
Jan 20, 2006, 06:29 PM
I, too, have to say that owning two computers is pretty nice. I have an iMac G5 20" and a PowerBook G4 (you all can read the sig). It's nice having both of them, because when you have a desktop computer with the computing power of the G5 or the new Core Duo, you really appreciate it more after using your portable computer. Not that the G4 wasn't a good chip, it's just quite dated, especially my 1 GHz G4.

To the OP, if you are anal about having all of your files on both of your computers, Apple makes it very easy to use the Target disk mode to transfer files between your computers over FireWire. I wish Apple had some sort of program integrated into OS X that allows you to sync your computers, without having to go through your HDD and find the files that are on one computer and not on the other. I realize you can do this through .Mac, but I don't have the money for that!

ieani
Jan 21, 2006, 12:01 AM
The Duo in the iMac will be significantly faster than that Hyperthreaded Pentium 4. It's not strictly a dual processor but rather dual core FWIW.

Do you know of the programs listed Mac has equivalents of?

EDIT: heres an interesting comparison: http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0114_dt1700.html

Chrispy
Jan 21, 2006, 12:20 AM

This is very true. Hyperthreaded CPUs only emulate the dual CPU experience but cannot match the speed from a true dual core processor. Also, OSX does, indeed, do a better job of multitasking than windows by far.

ieani
Jan 21, 2006, 12:32 AM
This is very true. Hyperthreaded CPUs only emulate the dual CPU experience but cannot match the speed from a true dual core processor. Also, OSX does, indeed, do a better job of multitasking than windows by far.

This is fantastic news. I love the speed of this machine and was worried I wouldnt see that with a chip made for laptops.

Chrispy
Jan 21, 2006, 12:38 AM
This is fantastic news. I love the speed of this machine and was worried I wouldnt see that with a chip made for laptops.

Just be sure programs you are going to use have universal binaries before you take the plunge. Rosetta is ok but won't watch the speed of something written for the Intel chip.

ieani
Jan 21, 2006, 01:01 AM
nevermind

wako
Jan 21, 2006, 03:38 AM
I just wanted to put in my two cents before you went and actually got your system...

I would HIGHLY advise on HOLDING back on any purchases especially with the MacBook Pro. For starters, you dont know the rest of the line of MacBooks will be yet. Wouldnt it suck if at the next Mac convention they suddenly released a 13'' widescreen Pro? or even a faster 15''? They havent made a complete transition to the Intel chip and I personally would think it is too early to be buying anything.

Not including, its interesting how the PowerBooks were updated recently and were glorified for having such a good battery life. However, the MacBook Pro, it doesnt even mention anything about Battery life. For all we know, since nobody has their hands on one yet, it could be 2 hours.

At the very least, WAIT until you read some actual first hand encounters with the MacBook Pro...

FFTT
Jan 21, 2006, 04:11 AM
I know waiting is always difficult, but in your case, I would wait till at least the end of March till Apple releases their universal binary crossgrade applications.
You could go ahead and get the Intel iMac, but it's going to take a while
for developers to catch up on native applications.

The iMac/iBook combo is an excellent idea providing you portability at reasonable price and excellent performance in a very complete desktop.

If your portable needs are basic, then a 1.33GHz 12" iBook refurb for $799
would get you rolling will full use of current PPC applications.

ieani
Jan 21, 2006, 09:40 AM
Oh I am waiting. I want to see how the Macbook Pro reviews. I dont actually need one until fall so as hard as it is Ill just have to wait it out.

mad jew
Jan 21, 2006, 05:29 PM
I would HIGHLY advise on HOLDING back on any purchases especially with the MacBook Pro...

...Wouldnt it suck if at the next Mac convention they suddenly released a... ...even a faster 15''?

The 15 inch MacBooks have only just been released. Waiting for the next generation because they may be faster seems a little mad. :)

ieani
Jan 21, 2006, 08:47 PM
The 15 inch MacBooks have only just been released. Waiting for the next generation because they may be faster seems a little mad. :)

Im pretty much set on the iMac+ibook route anyways. Unless the Macbook Pro boasts some amazing bench marks and battery life I wont change my mind. I need now to decide whether to get a G4 ibook or intel one.

ieani
Jan 25, 2006, 09:56 AM
I did it! I just ordered my G4 ibook for $800 off apple's refurb store. My bank account is just about cleared out now so I hope I didnt make a mistake in sort of impulsively buying one instead of exercising patience to see what intel would bring. But I had some good reasons I think.

Apples hold their value very well from one generation to the next. So reselling it in a few months is not a complete impossibility.

A laptop right now will be very useful, more than an intel imac. Since I still have a pretty powerful desktop I can use.

$800 is a great price.

Is upgrading the RAM necessary? Will I be able to run it smoothly on 512?

Danksi
Jan 25, 2006, 10:05 AM
...Is upgrading the RAM necessary? Will I be able to run it smoothly on 512?

Depends on what applications you're using and how many of them you like to run at the same time. I've been running my iBook with 512Mb well enough for a while, mostly using iLife & MS Office apps.

Even so I'm awaiting another 512Mb in the post, since it should run quite a bit better for me with 1Gb.

ieani
Jan 25, 2006, 10:27 AM
Depends on what applications you're using and how many of them you like to run at the same time. I've been running my iBook with 512Mb well enough for a while, mostly using iLife & MS Office apps.

Even so I'm awaiting another 512Mb in the post, since it should run quite a bit better for me with 1Gb.

Thanks. Ill upgrade mine whenever I some spare cash then.