PDA

View Full Version : www.thefotohaus.com

eyelikeart
Jan 12, 2003, 11:30 PM
Well, as many of u know, Moxiemike & I hve been working on a new stock photography website, www.thefotohaus.com. We've come a long way from our talks & concepts back in July '02, and we now have a functioning website. We're currently working on recruitment of new photographers to join and help build our haus...RoyalPineapple has even joined up. We're proud of our efforts, but we need some help.

I'm mostly in charge of promotion & advertising for the site, and I'm currently working on some ways to get traffic to www.thefotohaus.com, as well as finding some others who want to join & help make it a success. We have a banner ad that shows up every now & then here at macrumors, and we're going to be having another showing up soon.

What my purpose of this thread is, is to find out if any of u with your websites would be interested in helping promote us? Right now we do not have any links to other sites, but the notion of creating a links section is a possibility. We'd be willing to even make some trades & such for promotion.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, we're recruting photographers to join the site. I am not sure if I could go into detail here, but if u visit here (http://www.thefotohaus.com/joinus.html), u can get all the details. :D

G4scott
Jan 12, 2003, 11:53 PM
hmm... I don't have a site to promote your site on, but I do have quite a bit of images stored up from vacations over the years... At least 1000 images... That, and my Dad and I are going to be working on a wildlife photography contest. My dad takes the film shots, and I'm going to be doing digital, since they don't allow digital pictures in the contest... What does it take to qualify as a student? Just the fact that I'm in school?

eyelikeart
Jan 13, 2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
What does it take to qualify as a student? Just the fact that I'm in school?

yeah...pretty much...

What would happen, is u would need your dad or guardian to sign the contract for consent since u are a minor. It's not a big deal, just for legal purposes. When u start to get your images worked on, u should setup a webgallery or send me some low res samples. We're totally willing to give everyone who's interested a chance! :D

G4scott
Jan 13, 2003, 11:22 AM
cool. I'll get on my G4 and see what I can do...

G4scott
Jan 13, 2003, 03:46 PM
here is the link for some samples of my photography. (http://homepage.mac.com/g4scott/photos/)

eyelikeart
Jan 13, 2003, 03:55 PM
here is the link for some samples of my photography. (http://homepage.mac.com/g4scott/photos/)

wow...ok...so wanna join? :D

nice shots...that humming bird is TIGHT!! :D ;)

Moxiemike
Jan 13, 2003, 03:59 PM

Awesome stuff G4. Very cool and colorful. I likes. So yea. Eye has already pestered you enough about joining but... you should. :)

I think it's only fair for the cats we're jurying to see our stuff:

http://www.thefotohaus.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?search=mjm

or see www.mikemancini.com for some stuff that will be fotohaused very soon.

:D
m

G4scott
Jan 13, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

wow...ok...so wanna join? :D

nice shots...that humming bird is TIGHT!! :D ;)

I've got a lot more hummingbird pictures... There is even one where you can see its tongue sticking out... I especially like the one with the moth, though... The opportunity just popped up, and I just happened to have my camera...

damm safari's 'check spelling as you type'

zarathustra
Jan 13, 2003, 04:22 PM
This is great! I will pass the word among my photographer friends. I am sure they have rolls and rolls and MB and MB of great, but unsold pictures. I might even submit some photos for review. Anywho - one thing about your website: the navigation bar on the top is missing the "home" function. Not a big deal, bit I was clicking like mad on the fotohaus log to get to the index page, which didn't work.

G4scott
Jan 13, 2003, 04:30 PM
oh, I thought I'd just throw this in this thread just for the heck of it... According to my older brother, this is michael dell's hill... The whole top of the hill is his house...

Moxiemike
Jan 13, 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by zarathustra
This is great! I will pass the word among my photographer friends. I am sure they have rolls and rolls and MB and MB of great, but unsold pictures. I might even submit some photos for review. Anywho - one thing about your website: the navigation bar on the top is missing the "home" function. Not a big deal, bit I was clicking like mad on the fotohaus log to get to the index page, which didn't work.

haha. ive been meaning to do that change for a week or so. :)

if you would've seen it tomorrow... ;)

thanks for the heads up... any other render problems, let us know!

m

MacBandit
Jan 13, 2003, 04:36 PM
Just as long as we are sharring here. Here is the link to my home page and photos.

www.homepage.mac.com/louiskst

Moxiemike
Jan 13, 2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Just as long as we are sharring here. Here is the link to my home page and photos.

www.homepage.mac.com/louiskst

Nice stuff there as well bandit. Lots of potential stock gems in there. Would you be interested in joining up?

Let eye or I (love that. ;) ) know ASAP.

Basically, we're looking ot get a new server. The way we figure, it'll take about a month. But if people want to join TODAY and start uploading, we'll set them up with an account, but not list the start date until we get the server.

So, if you join on 1.13.03, and we dont get server until 2.28.03 your account (1 year) is good until 2.28.04. Nice bargain, eh? ;)

Let us know!

m

MacBandit
Jan 13, 2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

Nice stuff there as well bandit. Lots of potential stock gems in there. Would you be interested in joining up?

Let eye or I (love that. ;) ) know ASAP.

Basically, we're looking ot get a new server. The way we figure, it'll take about a month. But if people want to join TODAY and start uploading, we'll set them up with an account, but not list the start date until we get the server.

So, if you join on 1.13.03, and we dont get server until 2.28.03 your account (1 year) is good until 2.28.04. Nice bargain, eh? ;)

Let us know!

m

I'm not shure how your photo stock website works yet as I haven't had time to research it. Do I get paid?

eyelikeart
Jan 13, 2003, 10:05 PM

I'm not shure how your photo stock website works yet as I haven't had time to research it. Do I get paid?

of course u do...u get royalties for each image u sell...

it's all displayed here (http://www.thefotohaus.com/joinus.html)...

MacBandit
Jan 14, 2003, 01:13 AM

of course u do...u get royalties for each image u sell...

it's all displayed here (http://www.thefotohaus.com/joinus.html)...

As much as I like you guys I'm not especially fond of some of the wording and requirements in your contract. I think for now I'll have to pass unless you can convince me otherwise.

I mean don't get me wrong I would really love to make some money off of my photographs and I'm sure my father would also. He has 10s of thousands of slides that if he had a reason would get professionally scanned or would aquire the equipment to do so himself. He once considered himself an avid photographer and I think he was pretty damn good myself.

Again though I'm just not sure about it.

irmongoose
Jan 14, 2003, 02:00 AM
Do you do international payments (Japan... and I'm a student)? I'm thinking of joining, as my photography class is ending in a few days and I would like to continue shooting...

I don't have a digital camera but I scan all the "good" pictures I shoot... I've put up very few old ones on my site... here is the link (http://homepage.mac.com/irmongoose/motif.html)... I'll be scanning a few more in a few days. They are black and white only.

Thanks.

irmongoose

eyelikeart
Jan 14, 2003, 08:57 AM

As much as I like you guys I'm not especially fond of some of the wording and requirements in your contract. I think for now I'll have to pass unless you can convince me otherwise.

that's fair enough...would u mind telling us what u had a problem with, specifically?

keep in mind...u will find a similar contract setup with any stock agency u go to...;)

eyelikeart
Jan 14, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Do you do international payments (Japan... and I'm a student)? I'm thinking of joining, as my photography class is ending in a few days and I would like to continue shooting...

I've put up very few old ones on my site...

Nice stuff! :D

I really liked the locker & rain shots best...he he...

as for international...I don't think that would be a problem...I'm conferring with Moxie now to validate...lemme get back to u on that ;)

Moxiemike
Jan 14, 2003, 09:04 AM

Nice stuff! :D

I really liked the locker & rain shots best...he he...

as for international...I don't think that would be a problem...I'm conferring with Moxie now to validate...lemme get back to u on that ;)

Since we'd be using paypal, i'm assuming you can, once th cash is in your paypal account, download it to you bank account in a variety of currencies... correct??

I dunno. Anyone?

eyelikeart
Jan 14, 2003, 09:07 AM

Since we'd be using paypal, i'm assuming you can, once th cash is in your paypal account, download it to you bank account in a variety of currencies... correct??

I dunno. Anyone?

well I did some research...here's what I found...

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/approved_countries-outside

seems paypal is available in 37 countries... :D

irmongoose
Jan 15, 2003, 02:31 AM

well I did some research...here's what I found...

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/approved_countries-outside

seems paypal is available in 37 countries... :D

Thanks. I'll make an account and sign up for your service... and I'll see if anyone I know may be interested.

Oh by the way, I was just wondering how you price the photographs... or are they all the same price?

irmongoose

Moxiemike
Jan 15, 2003, 07:56 AM

Thanks. I'll make an account and sign up for your service... and I'll see if anyone I know may be interested.

Oh by the way, I was just wondering how you price the photographs... or are they all the same price?

irmongoose

Yes. for now all photos will be priced at $35.00. That's for a 10-17mb file (3-6mp)

Of course, we'll be hosting jpgs using FULL compression, which makes the final file size 3-5mb but anyway....

The day will come when we have someone signing up who's using a Canon 1ds... or I go for broke and buy one, and of course, an 11mp file vs. a 3-6mp file neccessitates a larger price.

So we'll tier the prices at that point. The reason is, i've noticed that, if you have a good digital cam (i've used Nikons and Minoltas) you can really enlarge a photo and get a good print. I've enlarged my minolta files to 11x17 and had them print professionally, offset, at 300dpi and man does it rock!

So yea. $35 gives the client a good value and a usable file.

We're also looking for people who do Adobe Illustrator Illustrations.... clip-arty stuff, or more in depth "conceptual" illustration, as well as flash clips. I know some sites are giving flash navigations in black and white that you can customize, and still use their funky animation.

Also, sound clips are gonna be forthcoming.

So yea. Tell yer friends. And start uploading!

m

eyelikeart
Jan 15, 2003, 08:54 AM
I've enlarged my minolta files to 11x17 and had them print professionally, offset, at 300dpi and man does it rock!

yo bep! :D

actually...we're supposed to get quality 16x20" prints from our pieces... ;)

Moxiemike
Jan 15, 2003, 05:54 PM

yo bep! :D

actually...we're supposed to get quality 16x20" prints from our pieces... ;)

yea. and the powerbook gets five hours of battery life. :)

I haven't gotten 5 hours... and I haven't printed at 16x20. So when I do, i'll revise that.

Great camera... but i still have questions. :)

m

eyelikeart
Feb 6, 2003, 04:50 PM
So...a bunch of u have shown interest in joining the newest & hottest stock photography agency...

Normally we offer a 1 year deal...but just for u here at Macrumors...we want to offer u an extra 6 months...

we're hoping this is enough incentive to help boost your decision to make fotohaus a success :D

eyelikeart
Feb 23, 2003, 01:28 PM
u mean all of u guys thought it was a cool idea...

and are gonna just leave it at that? :rolleyes:

Moxiemike
Feb 23, 2003, 01:33 PM
u mean all of u guys thought it was a cool idea...

and are gonna just leave it at that? :rolleyes:

I know you want it. Can you feel it?

eyelikeart
Feb 24, 2003, 08:05 AM
I know you want it. Can you feel it?

word... :D

so u check out any of those circulars yesterday Mox?

seems we got some purchases to discuss this week... ;)

eyelikeart
Feb 25, 2003, 08:16 AM
now come on guys...this is pathetic...

at least humor me and make a reply... :rolleyes:

Moxiemike
Feb 25, 2003, 08:25 AM
now come on guys...this is pathetic...

at least humor me and make a reply... :rolleyes:

we should just take our schtick to spymac. :)

m

MacBandit
Feb 25, 2003, 10:14 AM
I'm still thinking............................................................................................ ..................................

G4scott
Feb 25, 2003, 10:17 AM
Ok, you mentioned that the pics are all 3-6MP. Well, my digital camera is only 2.1MP. It's an Olympus C700UZ (my dad got it because of the 10X optical zoom). My dad is doing a lot of slide photography, mainly for a photo contest. He's thinking about getting a good slide/film scanner (any recommendations?) to scan the pictures he doesn't use in the photo contest. I showed him the site, and he seems interested... He really wants one of those Canon EOS digital cameras, but he just shelled out big bucks on an EOS film camera, and a couple of lenses, so my mom won't let him buy camera stuff for a while now...

Moxiemike
Feb 25, 2003, 10:20 AM
Ok, you mentioned that the pics are all 3-6MP. Well, my digital camera is only 2.1MP. It's an Olympus C700UZ (my dad got it because of the 10X optical zoom). My dad is doing a lot of slide photography, mainly for a photo contest. He's thinking about getting a good slide/film scanner (any recommendations?) to scan the pictures he doesn't use in the photo contest. I showed him the site, and he seems interested... He really wants one of those Canon EOS digital cameras, but he just shelled out big bucks on an EOS film camera, and a couple of lenses, so my mom won't let him buy camera stuff for a while now...

Nikon Coolscans are easily the way to go. I've been thinking about adding a film camera as well as a slide scanner to the arsenal, and the nikons seem to be the best.

But yea.... scanned slides will give you 3-6mp easily. even more. :)

I might also be selling a 5mp camera... i'll have more details as soon as I know. :)

If you're interested. ;)

Wes
Feb 25, 2003, 10:22 AM
Well I have a dormant website, http://tyui.com if you want I'll just put anything you want there. A lame flash animation I made a year ago isn't doing much good... Although, I couldn't gaurantee I would leave your page up. At some time I may get around to updating my page. Up to you guys.

irmongoose
Feb 25, 2003, 10:22 AM
I spent all my money on a new digi-cam, home theater DVD system, a GameCube, and a 120-gig hard drive... don't have enough money to subsribe to your service now! GAH!

And yes, I did buy all this with my own money... but hey, my digi-cam is a great 4 megapix Canon, and it rocks.. just need to get more money and I'll join...

Thanks for understanding...

irmongoose

Moxiemike
Feb 25, 2003, 10:32 AM
I spent all my money on a new digi-cam, home theater DVD system, a GameCube, and a 120-gig hard drive... don't have enough money to subsribe to your service now! GAH!

And yes, I did buy all this with my own money... but hey, my digi-cam is a great 4 megapix Canon, and it rocks.. just need to get more money and I'll join...

Thanks for understanding...

irmongoose

Goose, you're a student, right? Well, if you wanna sign up, we can take the membership fee from your first sale. Which would be $20.

let us know.

m

irmongoose
Feb 26, 2003, 07:37 AM
Goose, you're a student, right? Well, if you wanna sign up, we can take the membership fee from your first sale. Which would be $20.

let us know.

m

Yeah I am a student... and that sounds just fine... should I just sign up normally then? Thanks!

irmongoose

eyelikeart
Feb 26, 2003, 08:09 AM
the payment goes through paypal, with the addy: info@thefotohaus.com

u will need to download the contract also and send that to Moxie... ;)

irmongoose
Feb 26, 2003, 08:31 AM
Can any of you please email me at irmongoose@mac.com to tell me what exactly are the procedures of signing up? I'm getting confused whether I email the pdf or print it out and mail it, or... ??

Thanks.

irmongoose

Stelliform
Mar 21, 2003, 01:39 PM
I turned one of my friends who is a amatuer photographer onto the site today. He uses a Fuji S2 camera. He says he already has thousands of pics, so he will go throug them and see if he can post them. Grassroots support. You gotta love it. ;)

eyelikeart
Mar 21, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Grassroots support. You gotta love it. ;)

hell yeah! :D

that's what I'm talking about!

tell him feel free to contact me with any questions...and thanks for the referral... ;)