Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
can i store software on my ipod to stop it eating up my mac mini's harddrive. is there any way i can put applications on it. and any other ideas

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Enable Disk Use in the iPod Preferences. I don't recommend moving apps outside of the Applications folder however feel free to drag other files. Apps aren't generally very large anyway plus the iPod has a slow, portable hard drive that shouldn't be overworked. If you have Garageband, move the loops to the iPod.

You may be interested in this thread. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've never moved my loops but if Garageband doesn't let you manually find them (which it should) then you can always keep them on the iPod and temporarily put them back on the mini when needed.

Try Monolingual to get rid of many unwanted language files too.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
onemacmini said:
can i store a file on my ipod but when i plug it in it will appear on the desktop seperate to the ipod ????
As far as I know, no. When you plug your iPod in (when it has files on it), it behaves the same as a flash drive/memory stick etc. You have to go into the disk to active/use any of the files/apps on it. If space is becoming a big issue, perhaps you should look into getting an external hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.