PDA

View Full Version : Apple caught cheating on RSS standard

MacBytes
Jan 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple caught cheating on RSS standard (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060120181156)
Description:: The Photocasting feature in Apple's updated iPhoto application violates numerous internet standards, according to several dignitaries from the RSS community.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

angelwatt
Jan 20, 2006, 05:48 PM
I was a bit surprised and disappointed when I first read about this. I'm hoping Apple just made a big oops and will correct the issue soon.

FreeState
Jan 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
I was a bit surprised and disappointed when I first read about this. I'm hoping Apple just made a big oops and will correct the issue soon.

Correct what issue? Even the article admits Apple is doing nothing wrong - that indeed there is no RSS official standards.

"Strictly speaking Apple is not doing anything wrong. RSS is not an official standard governed by a standards body, and anybody can make changes and introduce new elements and extensions."

Seems the author has something against Apple - he praises Microsoft for doing the same thing, but somehow when Apple does it its "Against the Standards" that do not even exist.

Oryan
Jan 20, 2006, 06:17 PM
Give them a break. It's only a 1.0 release. I'm sure Apple doesn't intend to try to change RSS, they probably just misimplemented it and will fix this in an update. And besides, RSS isn't even a standard.

Yvan256
Jan 20, 2006, 06:53 PM
Just because there's no governing bodies for it doesn't mean there's no standards.

I'm also with the "it's only v1.0" crowd, seeing how iWeb makes XHTML/CSS compliant websites (a much harder job than RSS).

sjhdez
Jan 20, 2006, 07:01 PM
Gotta love when "community" in the media or net is really just one or two people speaking for all.

treblah
Jan 20, 2006, 08:09 PM
Gotta love when "community" in the media or net is really just one or two people speaking for all.

I really don't get Dave Winer. He creates RSS, doesn't monetize it, then gets mad when corporations try to. Is he an idiot?

He's the anti Tim Berners-Lee.:p

ldenman
Jan 20, 2006, 08:19 PM
Whoooo Caaaarreeesss

Analog Kid
Jan 20, 2006, 09:57 PM
Correct what issue? Even the article admits Apple is doing nothing wrong - that indeed there is no RSS official standards.

"Strictly speaking Apple is not doing anything wrong. RSS is not an official standard governed by a standards body, and anybody can make changes and introduce new elements and extensions."
And Apple admits that there is a standard:
"We use industry standard RSS so that anyone can subscribe. You do not even need a Mac,"

Seems the author has something against Apple - he praises Microsoft for doing the same thing, but somehow when Apple does it its "Against the Standards" that do not even exist.
I don't see anything anti-Apple in the article... MS extended what RSS can do, Apple changed how existing things are done. There's a big difference.

Besides, I think this is a long way from "praising" MS:
"But while Microsoft's efforts have generally been received as a welcome addition to RSS, Apple is introducing new elements that aim only to replace existing ones."

Analog Kid
Jan 20, 2006, 09:57 PM
Whoooo Caaaarreeesss
People who like things to work... ;)

angelneo
Jan 21, 2006, 01:07 AM
MS Internet Explorer has also add in quite a number of non-standard HTML elements. What Apple is doing now sounds mysteriously like what MS has done before.

alamar
Jan 21, 2006, 01:42 PM
Just because there's no governing bodies for it doesn't mean there's no standards.

I'm also with the "it's only v1.0" crowd, seeing how iWeb makes XHTML/CSS compliant websites (a much harder job than RSS).

Yeah, some people here would watch steve jobs kill there mother and then defend him.

nagromme
Jan 22, 2006, 09:23 AM
It's not immediately clear to me: what does Apple gain here? Does this make the photo function work better in some way? If not, what hidden benefit does Apple stand to gain from this?

That would be the clue to whether this is some evil master plan, or just something Apple didn't make a priority--and which some people wish Apple had. (I'm all for supporting standards, wherever they came from.)

"early tests showed that the feature fails to work with some feed readers because it deviates from common RSS practices."

If "common practices" means documented standards, then this sounds like something Apple would choose to fix in a future update.

Yeah, some people here would watch steve jobs kill there mother and then defend him.
I take it, then, that this RSS thing, whether an intentional attack on standards or merely thoughtless, is an extremely damaging thing?

Is there any way back from the destruction Apple has caused here, or is it too late? Should we be furious, or merely concerned here? Is there reason to think Apple is "trying to kill RSS" as the the creator of RSS fears? And if not, is damage that has been done to RSS in the world reversible? Is there any way to give control back to David Winer and others who will better guard this standard?