Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockey95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Folks, I need some help, my wife, my son and I all have Ipads but I am not very familiar with ITunes at all. I have a separate ITunes acct but my wife and son shares one, well she doesn't want all his games syncing with hers and taking up space also on her Ipad Air, he has an Ipad mini. My question is this, should we set up a separate ITunes account just for him to keep his games on and take him off my wifes ITunes account? Also, if we set him up a new ITunes account can I somehow keep his games that he has on his Ipad Mini now?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
First, turn off automatic downloading. (settings > iTunes and app stores > automatic downloads > tick options off as desired) This will stop your son's games being downloaded to your wife's device.

Second, iOS 8 will bring a feature called family sharing, which will help in situations like yours, when you do get your son his own iTunes account. You may not do it now, but he is going to need one some day.

Third, your son should have his own Apple ID, which may or may not also be an iTunes account. He could stay logged in to your wife's iTunes account for store purchases, but have his own iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime login. This will prevent your wife and son seeing each other's iMessages, and also give them more storage space in iCloud.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
As NS mentioned it helps if everyone has their own Apple ID. I also like to change the name of each individual iPad to cut down on the confusion.

rockey95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Ok I am going to ask a stupid question, do we get him his own Apple ID by signing him up for a ITunes account or how do we go about doing that?
Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok I am going to ask a stupid question, do we get him his own Apple ID by signing him up for a ITunes account or how do we go about doing that?
Thanks

Hmmm, I may not have done a good job of explaining earlier, but an Apple ID is different from an iTunes account. You do not have to sign your son up for an iTunes account to give him a separate Apple ID.

I believe if you log out of iCloud on his iOS decvice, you'll get an option to create a new iCloud account = Apple ID.

rockey95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
ok folks, one question, i got home and signed out of my wifes account on my sons Ipad Mini and created my son a new gmail account and signed in with it. anyways, i noticed 2 things, when it brought up the box where you sign into your apple acct to buy apps my wifes email came up and wanted a password, also, when i use his ipad trying to facetime to my iphone it shows up at my wifes phone ringing in? what can i do to fix those things?
also, would it just be best to wiipe the ipad clean and start from fresh?
Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
ok folks, one question, i got home and signed out of my wifes account on my sons Ipad Mini and created my son a new gmail account and signed in with it. anyways, i noticed 2 things, when it brought up the box where you sign into your apple acct to buy apps my wifes email came up and wanted a password, also, when i use his ipad trying to facetime to my iphone it shows up at my wifes phone ringing in? what can i do to fix those things?
also, would it just be best to wiipe the ipad clean and start from fresh?
Thanks

Nooooo, you make him an iCloud account, not a gmail account

https://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/ios.html

See step 2. You see "create free Apple ID" That's the option you are looking for.

It just might be easier to wipe the iPad and start over, to get to the create new iCloud account screen, if you don't mind losing all the data on your son's iPad.

Last edited:

rockey95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
i will try that once I get home today, most of the apps he has are free so it not that big of a deal losing it all.
thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.