PDA

View Full Version : New intel iBooks - MAKE A PREDICTION

OldCorpse
Jan 21, 2006, 01:10 AM
Here's the question:

Do you think the new intel iBooks will be a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the current 1.33Ghz 12" PPC iBooks?

Make your prediction, and we'll see how good your call was... WARNING: I'll dig up this thread come April (when I expect the new iBooks to come out)...

I vote NO. I don't believe they'll have ANYTHING that'll make me go "I wish I had this new one rather than my current 1.33 12", especially that I paid only $785 for a brand new one.

1)I don't believe the new intels will be cheaper than $999
2)I don't believe the new intel iBooks will be much lighter - if they come in at 3.9 lb, I'd say - WOW. Anything less (say lighter by 0.5 lb), and it won't be all that significant to me. Actually I believe they'll weigh just about the same.
3)I don't believe the new iBooks will have better battery life - in fact, I have a sneaking suspicion they may even have a slightly shorter battery life, or at best equal
4)I don't believe they will be "screamers" - to me, if I very rarely see a pinwheel, well that would be significant - but any other speed improvement (never mind what Steve says) that in REAL LIFE does not translate into a near elimination of the pinwheel is NOT significant. And I don't believe the new ones will come even close to abolishing the pinwheel (though word has it that's the case for the new MacBook Pros). Yeah, they'll be faster, but not "screamers"
5)I don't believe they'll have any cool new features like built-in iSight, audio-in, more usb/firewire ports, backlit keyboard, monitor spanning without hack, better sound card or much better speakers
6) I don't believe they'll have a much better build quality - especially the keyboard

OK - I think there's only one area where they might be significantly better - a better screen (brighter), and more RAM on the GPU.

So, given this, I vote the new iBooks will not make me green with envy when I look at my current PPC iBook. I think I'll look at the new iBooks, and go: meh...

Who know, maybe I'll be eating crow, once the new iBooks come out :) ! And how about you?

wako
Jan 21, 2006, 03:45 AM
I believe there wont be an Intel iBook... i do believe there will be a Intel MacBook :D

mdavey
Jan 21, 2006, 04:11 AM

Same price marks as current iBooks

2)I don't believe the new intel iBooks will be much lighter

Between 5.5lb and 5.9lb for the 14" or 15" model

3)I don't believe the new iBooks will have better battery life - in fact, I have a sneaking suspicion they may even have a slightly shorter battery life, or at best equal

Equal or better. The official figure will be between 6hrs and the official figure for the MacBook Pro 15".

4)I don't believe they will be "screamers"

Spec benchmarks will show these to be 3x faster than the iBook

5)I don't believe they'll have any cool new features like built-in iSight, audio-in, more usb/firewire ports, backlit keyboard, monitor spanning without hack, better sound card or much better speakers

I think they'll have iSight and IR remote, backlit keyboard, MagSafe, X1600 (but less VRAM than the MacBook Pro). No monitor spanning. The screen will be higher resolution than the iBook and brighter. The other thechnical features will be very similar to the existing iBook.

I'm hoping that they'll have swappable cases (like the way you can swap mobile 'phone covers), but probably not for issue A. Probably available in black or white.

aswitcher
Jan 21, 2006, 05:34 AM
Here's the question:

Do you think the new intel iBooks will be a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the current 1.33Ghz 12" PPC iBooks?

Make your prediction, and we'll see how good your call was... WARNING: I'll dig up this thread come April (when I expect the new iBooks to come out)...

I vote NO. I don't believe they'll have ANYTHING that'll make me go "I wish I had this new one rather than my current 1.33 12", especially that I paid only $785 for a brand new one.

Agreed

2)I don't believe the new intel iBooks will be much lighter - if they come in at 3.9 lb, I'd say - WOW. Anything less (say lighter by 0.5 lb), and it won't be all that significant to me. Actually I believe they'll weigh just about the same.

Mmm. I think they will really try and keep it tough but try and lightened it up. I hope to see some drop in weight.

Mmm. I wonder if they go for a single core or lowly clocked dual core to not compete with the MacBook Pro line and to lengthen the battery life. I hope to see an hour ro two more...

4)I don't believe they will be "screamers" - to me, if I very rarely see a pinwheel, well that would be significant - but any other speed improvement (never mind what Steve says) that in REAL LIFE does not translate into a near elimination of the pinwheel is NOT significant. And I don't believe the new ones will come even close to abolishing the pinwheel (though word has it that's the case for the new MacBook Pros). Yeah, they'll be faster, but not "screamers"

Agreed. But compared to the current line I think they will be about twice as fast.

Mmm. I disagree on new features. I think they will have the iSight. I think that will be a key selling point to distinguish them from Dells etc.

Monitor spanning is interesting, given the new Intel iMacs have it I do think we might see it. If they shoot for a 13" screen (replacing both 12" and 14") I think maybe one will have entry level, one mid and one high end. I think the high end will have a better graphics card and support spanning - at least I hope ;)

So on that I expect a better graphics card - at least 64 meg in one verison.

Given the boost in Podcasting and iWeb etc, I think "Audio-In" is a real possibility. In fact I think it will occur.

Speakers and sound card, not too sure. I would expect some incremental improvement but I think Apple will push other products to do audio - like the rumoured boom box.

6) I don't believe they'll have a much better build quality - especially the keyboard

Not too sure. I would hope to see some improvements. Maybe a black option.

Mord
Jan 21, 2006, 08:02 AM
1.67GHz yonah solo
x1300 64MB
same ram config as before but ddr667
40GB HD
isight, IR no backlit keyboard
DVI out, same as the imac, allows spanning
same port config but with gige and no modem, maybe 5.1 out.

yankeefan24
Jan 21, 2006, 08:26 AM
I'm thinking that they will make a huge change in the iBook/MacBook. I DO think that they may make an ultra-portable 11" laptop of some sort. The new iBook/MacBook will have a core solo, 512 RAM, 60GB HDD (upgrade to 100), something unique for 30 anniversary like something ipod (built in dock). Available in white or black.

MacPortable will be something for the 30th. available in 5 colors (white, black, metallic black, platinum, and aluminium.) 11,13, or 15" widescreen, airport extreme, bluetooth, 802.11n maybe, wireless card (you choose between service like verizon/vodafone, cingular,etc.). It will be light(er) than the ibook and powerbook(MBP), 1" thin, switchable bay (like switch between superdrive, dl superdrive, and extra hdd, battery etc.) core duo available for 13 and standard on 15, core solo for 11 and 13 standard. It would NOT be a pro laptop so its not a MBP, but its more designed for travel then ibook (MB).

Now I'm probably going to get 100 PMs saying how that will never happen, but i think stevey could do it. he's done it before.

EDIT: the MacPortable would have 6 hours of battery plus the expandable bay to 15 hours. And will automatticly turn off what your not using (if no airports are available, it goes into low power standby, etc.)

sunfast
Jan 21, 2006, 09:13 AM
I reckon they'll

1 - lose the modem
2 - gain MagSafe
3 - DVI out
4 - More VRAM
5 - Bigger HD
6 - Intel CoreSolo
7 - Maybe lose FireWire?

zap2
Jan 21, 2006, 09:20 AM
Price-not less then 999
FW-Perhaps no FW to make up for the extra price of intel chips
iSight-Double it but would be cool
FrontRow-Hope so

TsuaSai
Jan 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
I have the same thoughts as you. Which is why I bought a iBook the day after Mac World. I thought I would rather have a iBook and a first gen MacBook. And I can't afford the MBP so I didn't see any reason to wait.. But I know plenty do which is fine with me. I picked up a 14" iBook for 900 shipped and I could not pass that up.

whocares
Jan 21, 2006, 09:43 AM
7 - Maybe lose FireWire?

That was my initial fear, but then I thought: iMovie needs FireWire!

Laser47
Jan 21, 2006, 10:09 AM
That was my initial fear, but then I thought: iMovie needs FireWire!
Thats exactly why they are not getting rid of it.

I think the ibooks (or macbooks) will have;
-MagSafe
-DVI Out
-More Vram
- A better screen (hopefully)
-Screen spanning
-A core duo processor running ~1.5ghz?
- Bigger hard drives standard
- iSight
- Front Row
- And of course, firewire

DarkNetworks
Jan 21, 2006, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty sure there's going to be some changes in the looks of the Intel iBooks for sure...

madmaxmedia
Jan 21, 2006, 10:23 AM
I think an iSight is iffy. It would be a very nice feature, but the $999 price point makes it tough. Margins are tight as is.

The keyboard won't be backlit and won't be ever as nice as the PB keyboards, to differentiate the 2. The screen will be brighter, the iBook is somewhat dim compared to even older PowerBook lines.

Performance might not be that different, especially with Rosetta. But the Intel iBook might last longer in terms of usable power. OTOH, a 700MHz Mac will still do your everyday-type tasks just fine, and will continue to do so for years.

What I want to know is, how'd you get a brand new 12" PB for under $800?

buffalo
Jan 21, 2006, 10:24 AM
MacPortable will be something for the 30th. available in 5 colors (white, black, metallic black, platinum, and aluminium.) 11,13, or 15" widescreen, airport extreme, bluetooth, 802.11n maybe, wireless card (you choose between service like verizon/vodafone, cingular,etc.). It will be light(er) than the ibook and powerbook(MBP), 1" thin, switchable bay (like switch between superdrive, dl superdrive, and extra hdd, battery etc.) core duo available for 13 and standard on 15, core solo for 11 and 13 standard. It would NOT be a pro laptop so its not a MBP, but its more designed for travel then ibook (MB).

if they came out with something like that, i would really, really consider buying it. i'd want one very small, (11" would suite me), and around $700 (or less since I'm in high school and don't have much $)

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jan 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, we need to remember than even the Core Solo is a heck of a lot more than the G4 chip they were putting into the iBooks...therefore, I think making it any cheaper will be near-to-impossible, especially if they do considering adding an iSight.

Anyway, computers today that are sold for 5-600 bucks are typically using fairly outdated or flat-out slow processors. Apple, on the other hand, usually likes to have everything as new and capable as possible - it will be difficult for them to lower margins if they won't, for example, use a processor from Intel that's been out for a while, i.e. a Dothan processor.

Finally, I do think we'll see moniter spanning (as someone above noted, even the iMac, which parallels the iBook in purpose, has it now!). Additionally, I think we'll see slightly higher hard drives - 40 GB makes an external harddrive almost necessary to put any amount of media on your computer. My iPod should not have more GB than my entire laptop.

OldCorpse
Jan 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
What I want to know is, how'd you get a brand new 12" PB for under $800?

I didn't. See my sig. I got the latest 12" iBook for $785 from Amazon AR (still waiting on the $100 rebate)... plus I got a free-after-rebate Mighty Mouse, that I've grown to like very much :)

yankeefan24
Jan 21, 2006, 11:39 AM
if they came out with something like that, i would really, really consider buying it. i'd want one very small, (11" would suite me), and around $700 (or less since I'm in high school and don't have much $)

exactly. i would buy it. I need portability, and am growing sick of the laptop looks. They have barely changed the iBooks for 4 or 5 years (i think). The powerbook i am also growing sick of. thinner is not necessary for me, but i need something that i can travel with.

jiggie2g
Jan 21, 2006, 12:48 PM
1.67GHz yonah solo
x1300 64MB
40GB HD

I have to agree with this spec for the most part. However I believe the X1300 Mobility will have 128MB vram. Apple would look really bad if they still went with 64MB plus you need atleast 128MB just for core image. An

$1199
13in Wide Screen
1.67ghz Core Solo
Radeon X1300 Mobility 128MB
512MB DDR2 667
60GB HD(40 seems too low in this age with 120 gig already available)
iSight , Magplug , 1280x720 screen , 6hr battery , no express slot , Mini DVI sould be standard but won't. Gigabit ethernet , USB 2.0 , no firewire.

$1499
15.4in wide screen (apple needs a screen this big to compete at this price)
1.83ghz Core Solo (with Pro books being Core Duo the clock speed should not be an issue)
512MB DDR2 667
80GB HD(no upgrade)
iSight , Magplug , 1440x900 screen , 6hr battery , no express slot , Mini DVI sould be standard but won't. Gigabit ethernet , USB 2.0 , no firewire.

Sorry but judging by the prices of the Macbook Pro models the days of the $999 apple notebook are over. Apple will go back to thier Low cost / High Margin Mentality. Instead of taking a dive on the price and increase market share. It's not like they can't afford to take a loss for a short bit since thier sales really did not get hit after the announcement at WWDC '05. Besides if the not books are less costly , consumers will mot likly spend the extra money on accessories like a notebook case , an iPod , speakers , software, Applecare. The console market is a perfect example of this.

When will Apple ever learn?

geeman
Jan 21, 2006, 12:57 PM
I predict that they'll be announced on a Tuesday...

:p

paulman
Jan 21, 2006, 01:24 PM
I think they'll do a 699 13.3" screen version (maybe a 12" too, 14" def no)

- Magsafe
- Black or white colour options (or special 30th anniversary version with steve job's sig and photo :D )
- Core Duos (lower clock though)
- No isight (or only as option - price is too much of an issue)
- Better graphics (64 or 128MB cards x1300 probably)
- still 512MB RAM
- Frontrow with remote (although I'm not 100% on this, how much is a remote to produce?)
- No modem
- 1 firewire and 2 USB ports
- Superdrive across the line (as in from this day combo is dead blah blah blah keynote stuff)
- 60GB HDD as standard (everyone upgrades anyway!)
- Windows XP Mac edition

One of these is a joke BTW!

jholzner
Jan 21, 2006, 01:31 PM
I reckon they'll

1 - lose the modem
2 - gain MagSafe
3 - DVI out
4 - More VRAM
5 - Bigger HD
6 - Intel CoreSolo
7 - Maybe lose FireWire?

I doubt they will remove firewire. If it isn't there it makes iMovie pretty useless since most camcorders use it to transfer video.

jholzner
Jan 21, 2006, 01:33 PM
I have to agree with this spec for the most part. However I believe the X1300 Mobility will have 128MB vram. Apple would look really bad if they still went with 64MB plus you need atleast 128MB just for core image. An

$1199
13in Wide Screen
1.67ghz Core Solo
512MB DDR2 667
iSight , Magplug , 1280x720 screen , 6hr battery , no express slot , Mini DVI sould be standard but won't. Gigabit ethernet , USB 2.0 , no firewire.

$1499
1.83ghz Core Solo (with Pro books being Core Duo the clock speed should not be an issue)
512MB DDR2 667
80GB HD(no upgrade)
iSight , Magplug , 1440x900 screen , 6hr battery , no express slot , Mini DVI sould be standard but won't. Gigabit ethernet , USB 2.0 , no firewire.

Sorry but judging by the prices of the Macbook Pro models the days of the $999 apple notebook are over. Apple will go back to thier Low cost / High Margin Mentality. Instead of taking a dive on the price and increase market share. It's not like they can't afford to take a loss for a short bit since thier sales really did not get hit after the announcement at WWDC '05. Besides if the not books are less costly , consumers will mot likly spend the extra money on accessories like a notebook case , an iPod , speakers , software, Applecare. The console market is a perfect example of this.

When will Apple ever learn?

I don't understand what you are saying. The new MacBook Pro is the exact same price as the 15" PowerBook it replaced. By that logic the new iBook will retain the same price point.

robbieduncan
Jan 21, 2006, 01:54 PM
I predict that no matter what Apple release some people will complain that it is:

1) Too expensive
2) Too slow
3) Does not have enough video RAM (especially by people who use video RAM as the only judge of graphics ability)
5) That it is too big and/or heavy
6) That it is missing feature X where X is an expensive pro option.

Beck446
Jan 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
I don't understand what you are saying. The new MacBook Pro is the exact same price as the 15" PowerBook it replaced. By that logic the new iBook will retain the same price point.

I agree. Apple has to have a sub-$1000 laptop (at least one!). We might not see a price drop, but we will on Rev B. I tend to think that you will see isight in the iBooks simply because I think Apple is really trying to reach critical mass w/ iChatAV. If they could open standards on that (in combo w/ Google), you might see users leave AIM and Apple would be at the forefront w/ video chat. I think that's what they're trying for...

Most laptop makers have 3 lineups: (1) ultralight, (2) cheap and (3) desktop replacements. I think that Apple might move in this direction by making the new iBooks (Macbooks?) ultralight but having one model that could be cheap - likely cheaper than $999.

MacRumorUser
Jan 21, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'm hoping for

a 12" or 13.1" widescreen display 1280x768 or better resolution.
Single Yonah processor 1.5 or 1.67ghz
64mb X1300 or X1600 GPU

512mb Ram as standard
40gb HD as standard (I'd hope for at least 60 as standard but doubt they'd do that to keep price down)
Wifi & Bluetooth as standard

$995, €995, £699 price point

I'd like them to be in similar design as current ibooks but maybe a tad thinner
and also available in black would be great....

I'd also like one delivered before April :D

capone2
Jan 21, 2006, 02:55 PM
it will be a single 1.5 and 1.67ghz, and a widescreen model, at the same price, maybe? a little thinner at the same weight.

1.67ghz PB 15" 1gram
4gb Nano white

jiggie2g
Jan 21, 2006, 03:20 PM

My arguement is that Apple did not lower the price of the new note books despite the face that thier R&D cost have now been cut in half due to Intel doing most of the hardware work for them , Mainboard , Northbridge, CPU. Apple apple did with the macbook pro was modify the case slightly to take advantage of the smaller internal parts from intel. Unwise to drop DVD DL especially for Pros on the go who need the storage , just another example Apple usually choosing form over functionality.

Also check out the Inquirer.net they usually have news on CPU price cuts so even more of an excuse for apple to charge less and stop acting like BMW. Apple 's future is to increase market share and at $1299 for a decent desktop or $1499 for a usuable notebook this will never happen.

Gateway and HP have PC's with shipping with Athlon X2 4200+'s for under $999

P.S. All you guys who are buying Yonah macs are suckers , that chip is just a stepping stone like The Pentium D is, by late summer Memron and Conroe will both be ready and both are 64-bit. How bout explaining that to the mac loyalist Steve'O.

Spock
Jan 21, 2006, 03:47 PM

$1199
13in Wide Screen
1.67ghz Core Solo
512MB DDR2 667

$1499
512MB DDR2 667
80GB HD(no upgrade)

I doubt Gigabit E-net will be in the iBook, the iMac does not even have it.
as to intel iBooks or MacBooks I bet they will shrink the case down to the size of the 12 inch Powerbook add the iSight and IR but sell the remote seperate to keep costs down. We might see higher screen res but not a size increase $100 more than PowerPC iBooks

BlizzardBomb
Jan 21, 2006, 03:54 PM
Well I'm just looking at Intel's roadmap and there appear to be some big price jumps once you hit 2Ghz Core Duo (why MBP maxes out at 1.83Ghz?). Although I doubt Apple actually pays these prices they are a good guideline.

Core Duo (667Mhz FSB)
2.16Ghz - $637
2Ghz - $423
1.83Ghz - $294
1.66Ghz - $241
LV 1.66Ghz - $316
LV 1.5Ghz - $284

Core Solo (667Mhz FSB)
1.67Ghz - $209

13.3inch - £679/$949
1.67Ghz Core Solo
1280 x 800 resolution (Obvious choice to keep same aspect as iMac and MBP)
Mobility Radeon X1300 64MB
60GB 5,400rpm HD
Combo Drive + Wireless (Superdrive -> +£49/$79)
1x FireWire 400, 2x USB.
Front Row but no iSight
Extended desktop and lid-closed modes.

15.4inch - £879/$1249
1.67Ghz Core Solo
1440 x 900 resolution (In effect, the same screen as MBP)
Mobility Radeon X1300 128MB
80GB 5,400rpm HD
SuperDrive + Wireless
1x FireWire 400, 2x USB.
Front Row but no iSight

Slight price drop to take into account competition and falling RAM, HD, Optical Drive, Wireless and TFT prices. Price drop not as large in the UK if it follows the same trend as the iMac and MBP price rises.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jan 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
as to intel iBooks or MacBooks I bet they will shrink the case down to the size of the 12 inch Powerbook add the iSight and IR but sell the remote seperate to keep costs down. We might see higher screen res but not a size increase $100 more than PowerPC iBooks

The remote costs hardly anything. I assure you - if they have the infrared port, they will NOT sell the remote seperately. They'll either have Front Row, with the infrared and remote, or they won't.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jan 21, 2006, 04:36 PM
Well I'm just looking at Intel's roadmap and there appear to be some big price jumps once you hit 2Ghz Core Duo (why MBP maxes out at 1.83Ghz?). Although I doubt Apple actually pays these prices they are a good guideline.

Core Duo (667Mhz FSB)
2.16Ghz - $637
2Ghz - $423
1.83Ghz - $294
1.66Ghz - $241
LV 1.66Ghz - $316
LV 1.5Ghz - $284

Core Solo (667Mhz FSB)
1.66Ghz - $209

13.3inch - 679/$949
1.67Ghz Core Solo
60GB 5,400rpm HD
Combo Drive + Wireless (Superdrive -> +49/$79)
1x FireWire 400, 2x USB.
Front Row but no iSight

15.4inch - 879/$1249
1.67Ghz Core Solo
80GB 5,400rpm HD
SuperDrive + Wireless
1x FireWire 400, 2x USB.
Front Row but no iSight

Slight price drop to take into account competition and falling RAM, HD, Optical Drive, Wireless and TFT prices. Price drop not as large in the UK if it follows the same trend as the iMac and MBP price rises.

Very, very accurate - although I hope they have iSight in everything. In the past, when Apple tries to make something mainstream, they apply it to all their models (i.e. no more floppy drives, no more modem, front row + iSight (I hope ;) ))

Val-kyrie
Jan 21, 2006, 04:57 PM
This is what I think we are likely to see (this is different from what I really want):

13.3" - 1280 x 720 because it will include a built in
iSight 1.3 megapixel camera (though I would rather have the screen real estate)
Core Solo (1.5 or 1.67 GHz) - I would prefer a low voltage Core Duo, but it may be that Apple used the LV model in the MBP
60 GB HDD
512 MB DDR2 667MHz RAM (1 Dimm)
64 MB Radeon MX1300
DVI with screen span
DVD+/- RW
2 USB 2.0
FW 400
10/100 LAN
802.11g (last model before 802.11n)
MagSafe
Front Row

Maybe:
Express Card/34 slot
Modem (pleeeeaaaase!!!)

Doubtful:
Audio-in

Option for black or white case

My only problem with the MRX1300 is that it only provides

"hardware acceleration at up to 480p, X1600 owners get it for 720p, and X1800 owners get full acceleration at up to 1080p. ATI did mention that they are working on bringing those limits down, but that is a time intensive driver and algorithm optimization process that may or may not happen."

See this link (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2645&p=2).

I think the only reason Apple will go with the MRX 1300 in the iBooks/MacBooks and with the MRX 1600 in the MacBook Pros is because of supply issues. The only MRX1xxx card available from ATI is the 1600. I foresee a shift to from the 1300/1600 to the 1600/1800 simultaneously or shortly after the upgrade to the Merom processors.

Spock
Jan 21, 2006, 05:22 PM
The remote costs hardly anything. I assure you - if they have the infrared port, they will NOT sell the remote seperately. They'll either have Front Row, with the infrared and remote, or they won't.

I must disagree, the universal iPod dock has IR but does not include the remote.

Chundles
Jan 21, 2006, 05:57 PM

The iMac does have GigE, it's had it since rev B.

aswitcher
Jan 21, 2006, 07:16 PM
I must disagree, the universal iPod dock has IR but does not include the remote.

Agreed. Will not come bundled.

Groovey
Jan 21, 2006, 08:47 PM
I just keep wondering... Is Firewire really so expensive/difficult to include that we'd actually need to fear losing it? There's just too many HD's, cameras, audio interfaces etc. sold to get rid of it now. Besides it's something that just belongs to Macs. Don't you think?

hsvguy
Jan 21, 2006, 09:20 PM
13.3inch - £679/$949
1.67Ghz Core Solo
60GB 5,400rpm HD
Combo Drive + Wireless (Superdrive -> +£49/$79)
1x FireWire 400, 2x USB.
Front Row but no iSight

15.4inch - £879/$1249
1.67Ghz Core Solo
80GB 5,400rpm HD
SuperDrive + Wireless
1x FireWire 400, 2x USB.
Front Row but no iSight

I like these spec's, but I would be pretty surprised if Apple used the same screen resolution on the MacBook as it does on the MacBook Pro. I'd love for them to have 5400rpm drives as well, that would be great. I think FrontRow is almost a certainty, just because Apple seems to be pushing it quite a bit.

FireWire isn't going anywhere anytime soon I shouldn't think. Apple practically developed it, so they do not have to pay the royalties other manufacturers do when they use it. It'll be there for a while, because its still in good use and its a good proven technology.

EDIT: This is wrong. I just read that everyone pays US$0.25 for every system that uses FW. That said, its still a core Apple technology, so it's not going anywhere.

Chundles
Jan 21, 2006, 09:42 PM
Well, I'll just quote myself out of the other MacBook (iBook) spec speculating thread.

Low voltage Core Duo processor, slower than MBP.
(OR - Current MPB processor with MBP going over to Merom)
13.3" 1280x768 bright screen (like the new MBP's screen only smaller).
x1300 64MB graphics.
512MB RAM.
60GB HDD.
Mini-DVI out with extended desktop/mirroring support.
Superdrive.
Better speakers.
2x USB 2.0.
1x Firewire.
GigE ethernet.
Audio in/out.

Thinner, lighter, better materials.
Same price.

That's what I reckon. That's what I think Apple need to do to compete.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jan 21, 2006, 10:48 PM

Terrific point, I didn't know that.

I still believe, however, that if the computer has an infrared port, it will come with front row and a remote.

But terrific point nonetheless - I stand corrected :o

DevilDog
Jan 21, 2006, 11:12 PM
What's the current difference between a PowerBook/MacBook and an iBook??? Price and Performance. The only reason somebody would pick an iBook over a PowerBook/MacBook would be Price. Now... how do you get more people to buy these other than Price??? SIZE. No Disc Drive. It'll have an external one that forms a sort of base station that you can "dock" your iBook on when you want to load CD/DVD based media. The combo drive takes up about 1/6th of the space inside the current 12" PowerBook, so it would be significantly thinner. Screen will be as wide as a 12", but not as tall. Higher Resolution. Same white color, possibly with the bottom stainless steel similar to an iPod. Think about it, laptop the size of a composition book, 100 pages thick. It would be the next iPod, especially at $1000 or less. Remember how Stevo said an 8 pound iPod with a 10 inch screen or whatever??? Well, maybe he was dropping a clue. Think of this Sony as an example (even though I have sony), except slimmer, sleeker, and sexier. But without Sony's horrible styling with fans and bumps sticking out of the case all over the place.

And... Think if there was a slot similar to a ExpressCard Slot where you popped your iPod in for the HardDrive??? Save the expense of having one in your computer and one in your iPod. And it would do wonders for schools- Students sit down at their desk and stick their own ipod into the computer. All computers are virtually the same to any student. The OS, the Apps, and the Files all the students own on any computer, anywhere. Look- Apple's going to change the future with their iBook. Powerbooks will be geared more to the person who needs the high performance, mobility that a laptop provides. iBooks will be a fashion statement, a staple in the modern learning environment. Heck, it could even double as an oversized iPod!

Lazyhound
Jan 21, 2006, 11:22 PM
What's the current difference between a PowerBook/MacBook and an iBook??? Price and Performance. The only reason somebody would pick an iBook over a PowerBook/MacBook would be Price. Now... how do you get more people to buy these other than Price??? SIZE. No Disc Drive. It'll have an external one that forms a sort of base station that you can "dock" your iBook on when you want to load CD/DVD based media.
Unlikely, in my opinion. Apple is all about ease-of-use, and that sort of thing is a huge pain in the ass. I can see them releasing some sort of subnotebook/tablet/PDA, but not as a replacement for the iBook.

The only major changes I see are a move to Core Solo (thus differentiating them from the MacBook Pro line), the long-rumored 13.3" model, and maybe black casing as an option (to match the black iPods).

jiggie2g
Jan 21, 2006, 11:53 PM
My only question to you people is in this year of 2006 why in gods name would Apple release a note book , not matter what budget with 64mb vram? al of you insist on an X1300 with 64MB vram.

Chundles
Jan 22, 2006, 01:51 AM
My only question to you people is in this year of 2006 why in gods name would Apple release a note book , not matter what budget with 64mb vram? al of you insist on an X1300 with 64MB vram.

Because it's a cheap, consumer grade, student oriented laptop. Why would you need 128MB or 256MB VRAM on a machine that has a prime function of word processing, email, internet surfing and the odd DVD watching? There's just no point. I'd rather Apple save a few pennies here and there and make a light, cool laptop with a 6 hour battery life that will last me all through a day's uni on one charge.

If I wanted something to game on I'd get a MacBook Pro.

BlizzardBomb
Jan 22, 2006, 04:10 AM
Low voltage Core Duo processor, slower than MBP.
(OR - Current MPB processor with MBP going over to Merom)
13.3" 1280x768 bright screen (like the new MBP's screen only smaller).

To quote my last post:

Core Duo (667Mhz FSB)
2.16Ghz - $637
2Ghz - $423
1.83Ghz - $294
1.66Ghz - $241
LV 1.66Ghz - $316
LV 1.5Ghz - $284

Core Solo (667Mhz FSB)
1.66Ghz - $209

Low Voltage Core Duos cost even more than what's currently in the MBP, a big no-no.

Also, I think that the Merom switch will be in the summer/autumn but the new iBooks (or MacBook, whatever) would be released some time this spring. I also think the next MBP revision would include 7200rpm HDs as standard and a Mobility X1800.

On the screen, I think that Apple will try to keep everything the same aspect to make it easier to develop things. The best example of this is the last PB revision had a 1440 x 960 resolution but the MBP has a 1440 x 900 resolution.

Well just what I think anyway.

Chundles
Jan 22, 2006, 04:27 AM
To quote my last post:

Core Duo (667Mhz FSB)
2.16Ghz - $637
2Ghz - $423
1.83Ghz - $294
1.66Ghz - $241
LV 1.66Ghz - $316
LV 1.5Ghz - $284

Core Solo (667Mhz FSB)
1.66Ghz - $209

Low Voltage Core Duos cost even more than what's currently in the MBP, a big no-no.

Also, I think that the Merom switch will be in the summer/autumn but the new iBooks (or MacBook, whatever) would be released some time this spring. I also think the next MBP revision would include 7200rpm HDs as standard and a Mobility X1800.

On the screen, I think that Apple will try to keep everything the same aspect to make it easier to develop things. The best example of this is the last PB revision had a 1440 x 960 resolution but the MBP has a 1440 x 900 resolution.

Well just what I think anyway.

That's cool, didn't know the low voltage ones were so exxy. Core Solo sounds the goods then - it'll still wallop the G4 in a lot of areas so that's fine by me.

I'm not adverse to higher res either, 1280x800 sound right? Or would 1280x854 be the right ratio. Not in the frame of mind to do the maths at the moment.

So long as it's light, strong, cool-running but with decent performance and can last a good 4 hours on one charge I'll be happy. Then I can begin the long wait till I get my next Mac, probably in 2008 or sometime, after a RAM max-out on my current iBook around the time 10.5 comes out. I think 10.5 and 1.25GB RAM will suit this little thing down to the bone and it can start to fade out into secondary computer status.

Zaty
Jan 22, 2006, 04:45 AM
I'd like to point out one thing most people seem to forget when predicting the specs of the Intel iBook/MacBook: The new iBooks/MacBooks will replace the current 12"/14" iBooks as well the 12" PB. Therefore, the new models will feature DVI out, monitor spanning as well as lid-closed operation and perhaps audio in. :)

BlizzardBomb
Jan 22, 2006, 05:21 AM
That's cool, didn't know the low voltage ones were so exxy. Core Solo sounds the goods then - it'll still wallop the G4 in a lot of areas so that's fine by me.

I'm not adverse to higher res either, 1280x800 sound right? Or would 1280x854 be the right ratio. Not in the frame of mind to do the maths at the moment.

So long as it's light, strong, cool-running but with decent performance and can last a good 4 hours on one charge I'll be happy. Then I can begin the long wait till I get my next Mac, probably in 2008 or sometime, after a RAM max-out on my current iBook around the time 10.5 comes out. I think 10.5 and 1.25GB RAM will suit this little thing down to the bone and it can start to fade out into secondary computer status.

Yeah, 1280x800 should be right, although I wouldn't be too surprized if Apple have an even lower resolution. And I think your on the right lines with the light, strong, cool-running, decent performance :)

EDIT: And I think if a 15" version of the iBook/Macboook is made, they will use the same MBP screen to save money.

Think if there was a slot similar to a ExpressCard Slot where you popped your iPod in for the HardDrive??? Save the expense of having one in your computer and one in your iPod. And it would do wonders for schools- Students sit down at their desk and stick their own ipod into the computer. All computers are virtually the same to any student. The OS, the Apps, and the Files all the students own on any computer, anywhere.

I doubt that would work. The HD would probably commit suicide in no time from the amount of use the iPod would have. Also, you'd be pretty annoyed if you lost your iPod that has all your data on it.

skunkworks
Jan 22, 2006, 05:51 AM
At this moment its obvious that if it weren't for the duo cores the mac os/x would probably lag behind the g4's somewhat. I predict the ibooks will come with single cores otherwise why buy a powerbook. At that point I think they are expecting the operating system to improve performance and hopefully have fine tuned the major apple apps since the majority of ibook users succumb to this software.

My Predictions are Intel Centrino Processor - Pentium M 770 ! ! Throw in some kind of attachment for your ipods.

BlizzardBomb
Jan 22, 2006, 06:38 AM
At this moment its obvious that if it weren't for the duo cores the mac os/x would probably lag behind the g4's somewhat. I predict the ibooks will come with single cores otherwise why buy a powerbook. At that point I think they are expecting the operating system to improve performance and hopefully have fine tuned the major apple apps since the majority of ibook users succumb to this software.

My Predictions are Intel Centrino Processor - Pentium M 770 ! ! Throw in some kind of attachment for your ipods.

Hate to break it to you but a Pentium M 770 is $423. You could get a 2Ghz Core Duo for the same money!

Legacy
Jan 22, 2006, 08:53 PM
The MacBook, I think will indeed be available in 'two' flavours. With the switch to widescreen format in the LCD's it would seem logical for 13.3"/15.2" to be used (15.4" reserved for 'pro', just to be different, you know Apple guys!)

Here are my predictions:

MacBook £699/$999

Intel Core Solo 1.67Ghz Processor w/ 667Mhz FSB
512Mb DDR Memory (1.5Gb MAX)
13.3" w 1280x800 resolution
40Gb 5400rpms Hard Drive
Single Layer Superdrive
Airport and Bluetooth
Ati Radeon X1300 64Mb Graphics (no upgrade possible)
New Slimmer, Sleeker form-factor with Black/White colours
NO FIREWIRE, NO MODEM, USB 2.0 x 2 Ports, MagSafe, Ethernet, DVI-Out
Front Row with Remote, NO ISIGHT

MacBook £899/$1299

Intel Core Solo 1.67Ghz Processor w/ 667Mhz FSB
512Mb DDR Memory (1.5Gb MAX)
15.2" 1440 x 900 resolution
60Gb 5400rpm Hard Drive
Single Layer Superdrive
Airport and Bluetooth
Ati Radeon X1300 64Mb Graphics (no upgrade possible)
New Slimmer, Sleeker form-factor with Black/White colours
NO FIREWIRE, NO MODEM, USB 2.0 x 2 Ports, MagSafe, Ethernet, DVI-Out
Front Row with Remote, NO ISIGHT

I think these predictions reflect the conservatism of Apple's differentiation policy as regards to product variation and range, together with the pricing of the Intel chips c.f G4.

HOWEVER, I do think there will be a MacBook Pro 13.3" released for £1099/$1599 with the following specs:

MacBook Pro 13.3"

Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Processor w/ 667Mhz FSB
13.3" Screen with 1440 x 900 resolution
512Mb Memory (2Gb Max) NO SOLDERED MEMORY PLEASE APPLE!!
Dual-Layer Superdrive (and too will be the other MacBook Pro's)
80Gb 5400rpms Hard Drive
Airport and Bluetooth
Ati Radeon X1300 128Mb Graphics (yes this will disappoint, but its been the case with the 9700's and FX5200 on the 12incher)
Firewire 400, USB 2.0 x 2 Ports, MagSafe, Ethernet, DVI-Out, NO MODEM
Front Row with Remote, built-in iSight camera

As for the other MacBook Pro's, 1.86Ghz/2Ghz/2.16Ghz will be used on the 15.4/15.4/17 inch models (yes 17" will be introduced)

All should gain a DL Superdrive too, differentiating between iBook's SL. Form Factor revisions and possibly newer DL drivers for Apple will be made to incorporate this change.

As regards to the X1300 and HD playback, the iBooks should be able to handle 720 with the Core Solo processor and the MacBook Pros, full HD playback, irrespective of what Ati has to offer through the GPU.

Regards

rhsgolfer33
Jan 22, 2006, 09:11 PM

As said before its a cheap student/consumer oriented notebook. Also, 64mb of DEDICATED vram is more than many PCs have at the $1000 price point, most of them are using crappy intel onboard SHARED system memory graphics chips. Ill take 64mb of DEDICATED vram over 256mb of SHARED vram any day.

rhsgolfer33
Jan 22, 2006, 09:20 PM
Also check out the Inquirer.net they usually have news on CPU price cuts so even more of an excuse for apple to charge less and stop acting like BMW. Apple 's future is to increase market share and at $1299 for a decent desktop or $1499 for a usuable notebook this will never happen.

Gateway and HP have PC's with shipping with Athlon X2 4200+'s for under $999

P.S. All you guys who are buying Yonah macs are suckers , that chip is just a stepping stone like The Pentium D is, by late summer Memron and Conroe will both be ready and both are 64-bit. How bout explaining that to the mac loyalist Steve'O.

#1 The ibook 12/14 inch and Powerbook 12 inch are all quite usable and are at or under $1499. They perform most task fairly well including photoshop. Of course they arent going to edit video to quick, but neither is a PC laptop.

#2 Its either pay the extra for a BMW(Apple) or drive a Daewoo(Dell, HP, etc).

#3 Athlon X2s huh? Theyre shipping in desktops for $999 not laptops, they also consume way more power than the Core Duo. Apple has a 1.83 ghz Core Duo with a 17 inch LCD, IR remote, iSight, plus a great set of software(iLife 06, Frontrow) shipping for $1299. To me thats a better deal and it doesnt come loaded with bloatware like the Compaq I'm typing this on did. Oh, and did I mention theres not much spyware out there for Mac? Saves me another $30-$100 on spyware and virus protection software.

P.S. Im pretty sure Steve Jobs knows what intel is coming out with in the next 2 years, in fact theyre prolly all ready developing a platform using merom and conroe. Have fun critisizing Mr. Jobs, last I recalled he had his own private jet, was head of a very succesful company, owned 50.1% of shares in Pixar, and had more money in stock options than any one of us will ever see in our lives.

funwithfunkis90
Jan 22, 2006, 10:28 PM
What's the current difference between a PowerBook/MacBook and an iBook??? Price and Performance. The only reason somebody would pick an iBook over a PowerBook/MacBook would be Price. Now... how do you get more people to buy these other than Price??? SIZE. No Disc Drive. It'll have an external one that forms a sort of base station that you can "dock" your iBook on when you want to load CD/DVD based media. The combo drive takes up about 1/6th of the space inside the current 12" PowerBook, so it would be significantly thinner. Screen will be as wide as a 12", but not as tall. Higher Resolution. Same white color, possibly with the bottom stainless steel similar to an iPod. Think about it, laptop the size of a composition book, 100 pages thick. It would be the next iPod, especially at $1000 or less. Remember how Stevo said an 8 pound iPod with a 10 inch screen or whatever??? Well, maybe he was dropping a clue. Think of this Sony as an example (even though I have sony), except slimmer, sleeker, and sexier. But without Sony's horrible styling with fans and bumps sticking out of the case all over the place.

And... Think if there was a slot similar to a ExpressCard Slot where you popped your iPod in for the HardDrive??? Save the expense of having one in your computer and one in your iPod. And it would do wonders for schools- Students sit down at their desk and stick their own ipod into the computer. All computers are virtually the same to any student. The OS, the Apps, and the Files all the students own on any computer, anywhere. Look- Apple's going to change the future with their iBook. Powerbooks will be geared more to the person who needs the high performance, mobility that a laptop provides. iBooks will be a fashion statement, a staple in the modern learning environment. Heck, it could even double as an oversized iPod!

I like! I like! To make it absolutely perfect... keep the disc drive and start it at $799

jiggie2g
Jan 22, 2006, 10:31 PM
#3 Athlon X2s huh? Theyre shipping in desktops for $999 not laptops, they also consume way more power than the Core Duo. Apple has a 1.83 ghz Core Duo with a 17 inch LCD, IR remote, iSight, plus a great set of software(iLife 06, Frontrow) shipping for $1299. To me thats a better deal and it doesnt come loaded with bloatware like the Compaq I'm typing this on did. Oh, and did I mention theres not much spyware out there for Mac? Saves me another $30-$100 on spyware and virus protection software.

Keep your Pentium III ..oops i ment Core Duo(you do know this cpu is nothing more then a modified PIII). as far as power consumption that is mainly due to the 65nm process and when AMD starts shipping thier 65nm Athlon X2 in the spring the who fake argument about power consumption Jobs fed you all will go out the window. Face It Jobs was trying to low ball IBM on the G5 prices and they got sick of his crap and said "go screw yourself steve" then went with the consoles for a mountain of money.

Intel is so desperate these days that thier CEO dresses up in a Bunny suit to make a Jack Ass outta himself just to please steve'o and back stabs Dell by giving Apple 1st dibs on the Core Duo. Sorry but thats just bad business. Dell will spite Intel by shipping AMD based PC's in the 2nd half of the year and Apple will have thier tiny market share. AMD continues to take over the CPU market and keep's the boot to Intels throat. Lesson Intel you Don't screw Toyota(Dell) just to get a few sales with BMW(Apple). Toyota will always be your cash cow.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2648&p=14

Intel is doing Better but AMD will just keep improving thier platform. the socket AMD M2/940pin will add DDR2 support and Opteron socket F/1207pin will add an on-chip PCIe controller. Sorry Intel close but no cigar.

shrimpdesign
Jan 23, 2006, 12:11 AM
Keep your Pentium III ..oops i ment Core Duo(you do know this cpu is nothing more then a modified PIII). as far as power consumption that is mainly due to the 65nm process and when AMD starts shipping thier 65nm Athlon X2 in the spring the who fake argument about power consumption Jobs fed you all will go out the window. Face It Jobs was trying to low ball IBM on the G5 prices and they got sick of his crap and said "go screw yourself steve" then went with the consoles for a mountain of money.

Intel is so desperate these days that thier CEO dresses up in a Bunny suit to make a Jack Ass outta himself just to please steve'o and back stabs Dell by giving Apple 1st dibs on the Core Duo. Sorry but thats just bad business. Dell will spite Intel by shipping AMD based PC's in the 2nd half of the year and Apple will have thier tiny market share. AMD continues to take over the CPU market and keep's the boot to Intels throat. Lesson Intel you Don't screw Toyota(Dell) just to get a few sales with BMW(Apple). Toyota will always be your cash cow.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2648&p=14

Intel is doing Better but AMD will just keep improving thier platform. the socket AMD M2/940pin will add DDR2 support and Opteron socket F/1207pin will add an on-chip PCIe controller. Sorry Intel close but no cigar.
Why did I only understand half of that? And why does it matter? The new iMac works, right? It's faster than the last one, right?

It's certainally not high end, but then again, it's the freaking iMac. Settle down about the AMD/IBM/Intel thing. They're just processors.

Lazyhound
Jan 23, 2006, 12:20 AM
Why did I only understand half of that?
Because he sounds like a thirteen-year-old with ADD?

EDIT: Google returns a number of hits related to ephedrine for his user name, so that latter bit may not be far off.

Uh, how are you going to fit more than four gigs of RAM into a laptop, anyway?

thejadedmonkey
Jan 23, 2006, 09:12 AM
You guys are forgetting a lot of stuff. With the droppage of the 12" powerbook from the line, and the addition of a camera to the line, that leaves both a thin and light über portable porfesional grade laptop missing, as well as a pro machine w/o an isight.

There's another fact. Image: Professional CEO's aren't going to want to show up to important business meetings with the same laptop as the kids in college.

as far as iBooks go, I read elsewhere it'll be 11", 13", and 15".

I predict...
11"- "MacBook Light" thin and light, watered down thin and light powerbook.
It may or may not have an isighg. Priced around $875
13"- that's the new 12". It'll have what we've come to expect.
it'll have an isight, no modem, bla bla bla priced around $1199
15"- Already here- It's a MacBook Pro. Price drop to $1699

the macbooks will all have the old powerbook design, where as all of the new powerbooks will have a better name than "macbook pro", and come in 4 colors, like that guy in the other thread was saying...it'll be hot. They will also be the new 64bit CPU's

this is all prediction, speculation, not backed up by any facts what so ever.

and just as a side note to those who say apple is to expensive, you should get a gateway laptop! my last one, a thinest lightest 14" you could buy with a DVD/CD+RW cost close to $1800 total.

jiggie2g
Jan 23, 2006, 01:33 PM
Because he sounds like a thirteen-year-old with ADD?

EDIT: Google returns a number of hits related to ephedrine for his user name, so that latter bit may not be far off.

Googled my user name , what a creep you must be. Do you also google the names and addresses of girls who don't call u back? now I have to take a shower. ewwww...sicko.

It seem you are the one who may be in need of medication ,or better yet professional counseling.

P.S. As for the Ephedrine post at Bulknutition.com , I was warning those dumb kids in High School not to kill themselve on that stuff by teaching them how to stack/use it properly. Ephedrine is serious stuff like Pro hormones were before they were banned , it takes discipline to use it correctly and not cause harm to yourself. It's not for Kids trying to make the Football Team.

stevep
Jan 23, 2006, 02:06 PM
Not sure I like where this is going guys. This was a potentially interesting thread, but it's going to get locked or wasted if we don't stay on topic.

So, BACK ON TOPIC, 2 questions:
1. How likely is the sub-12" screen?
2. Will the new laptop range be just updated Intel versions of the iBook and the PowerBook (ie maintain the same range of 2 consumer and 3 pro models), or will Apple do a 12/13" 'iBook' and a 15 + 17" MBPro?

Mord
Jan 23, 2006, 02:10 PM
remember jiggy, this is the path you took towards being banned before hand, people will always be jerks, and i'm not saying lazyhound is, just keep the aggro turned down a notch.

and remember, you are 13 and i doubt your a master of business practice, micro electronics or etiquette, sure express your opinion, but stating your uneducated assumptions as fact and ridiculing everyone else is defined as flamebait.

oh and saying yonah is just a P3 is just as akin to saying that the athlon 64 is just a 64 bit K7 with botched on hyper-transport and an on die memory controller, which to a degree it is, just as the P-M is a P-3 with a spanking new branch predictor a quad pumped bus and slightly lengthened pipeline among a few other things

intel has been stagnating recently because all the focus is going on the P8, the successor to netburst, AMD has yet to even transition to 300mm fabs let alone 65nm, it'd gained what 400MHz in the last three years? i doubt they will fare much better at 65nm, intel has a whole new desktop architecture coming which their has been little info about other than it's a 14 pipe circa 2.8GHz chip.

so far only the likes of apple has seen it, SJ is not stupid.

Val-kyrie
Jan 23, 2006, 02:31 PM

I don't think 64MB of VRAM is sufficient for a modern operating system, but Apple has been stingy in this arena for some time, so while I really don't want less than 128 MB VRAM, 64 MB is probably realistic--though I would LUV to be surprised!!!

dredakiss
Jan 23, 2006, 02:56 PM
This may be a little too speculative, but i see apple pushing the new ibook to people who only know apple for the ipod. Also, Ive heard that the new ibook will be marketed towards women, who like ipods, but often arent that into computers. So instead of focusing on specs, I think the improvement will be in design, size and ipod wireless intergration (mobileme?). I think isight will be something apple will have across their entire line line, so I expect to see that as well. Maybe not on the mini.

OldCorpse
Jan 23, 2006, 04:21 PM
Not sure I like where this is going guys. This was a potentially interesting thread, but it's going to get locked or wasted if we don't stay on topic.

So, BACK ON TOPIC, 2 questions:
1. How likely is the sub-12" screen?
2. Will the new laptop range be just updated Intel versions of the iBook and the PowerBook (ie maintain the same range of 2 consumer and 3 pro models), or will Apple do a 12/13" 'iBook' and a 15 + 17" MBPro?

Re: 1 - IMHO, there's just about 0% chance for a sub 12" screen. That's a subnotebook, a market Apple has never exhibited any interest in. And rightly so, it's a tiny market - and Apple has their hands full with the current product line plus all the media center plans etc... no reason to extend themselves to develop for such a small market. Some folks hope for an Apple PDA a la Newton, but I don't see that happening either... the PDA market is dying (I'll get flamed for this, but it's true)... PDA sales have been going down for 3 years now, all PDAs and their functions are split off between laptops, cell phones and even mp3 players (calendar and notetaking on the iPod...). So, sub 12" - no chance.

Re: 2 - IMHO, there is no call for a 13" iBook (MacBook) - iBooks are pitched at students and casual users. The 12" fits the bill, there is no reason to put out another iBook at 13" - it would be a silly difference in size with all else being equal. There may be some call for a 12" and 14" but 12" and 13" is just silly - too small a difference. And they are not going to drop the 12" IMHO - it's a proven and popular design, and believe it or not, many of their target audience would not appreciate having to go to 13" if that implies (as it might) that they'll lose vertical space compard to the 12" - students and those with a lot of word processing needs want vertical space, and the 12" is the minimum, with 13 cutting into that.

Actually, I think there may be a 13" PowerBook (MacBook Pro) - that makes sense - 12" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro is a big difference, unlike a 12" MacBook and 13" MacBook. And they'll eliminate the 14" iBook. Or they'll stay with the 12" MacBook Pro. And they'll definitely stay with the 15" MacBook Pro and the 17" MacBook Pro. So my speculation is this lineup:

1)12" MacBook (intel iBook followup)
2) NO 14" MacBook
3)12" MacBook Pro OR 13" MacBook Pro
4)15" MacBook Pro
5)17" MacBook Pro

We'll see how wrong I am :)

nutmac
Jan 23, 2006, 04:52 PM
Aside from aluminum chassis and DVI output, there's nothing significant on 12-inch PowerBook G4 that separates it from iBook. It is essentially iBook in a PowerBook shell (e.g., Toyota Camry vs Lexus ES).

I think it would make more sense to kill 12-inch MacBook Pro altogether and add mini-DVI output (without dual-link DVI) to iBook (or I suppose, MacBook). It should have widescreen LCD (12.1" or 13.3", whichever makes sense) and SuperDrive. It would make sense to use Intel Core Solo CPU (most likely T1300 1.67 GHz) with 4200 RPM SATA 60 GB hard disk, ATI x1300 64 MB VRAM, and just about every features on 15-inch MacBook Pro but ExpressCard slot, backlit keyboard, and audio input.

stevep
Jan 23, 2006, 04:59 PM
1)12" MacBook (intel iBook followup)
2) NO 14" MacBook
3)12" MacBook Pro OR 13" MacBook Pro
4)15" MacBook Pro
5)17" MacBook Pro

We'll see how wrong I am :)
Like your thinking. I agree with the sub-12" thing, but I might be biased because I wouldn't want one.
And I think that if they do a 13" MacBook Pro, the iBook replacement would go with the same screen size as well.

MarkCollette
Jan 23, 2006, 05:28 PM
Let me get this straight: The MacBook Pro lost the FW800 port, but was otherwise better than the G4 PowerBook. So, you guys think that the MacBook will be a crippled version of the iBook, losing anything from the optical drive to the FW400 port?

Apple's moving to compete more directly with the PC manufacturers. I sure hope they don't cripple their hardware anymore, because that'd be asking to be bitchslapped into insolvency.

QCassidy352
Jan 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
1.67GHz yonah solo
x1300 64MB
40GB HD

I think this is right. Well, maybe I just HOPE it's right. Those specs, at $999, would ROCK, and I'd be trading in this ibook (see sig) in a second.

The biggest for me is DVI out. I know Apple wants to distinguish consumer vs. pro lines, but I need DVI out. I have a 20" ACD that is just sitting in its box right now because my ibook doesn't have DVI.

isight, 5.1 sound, and gige i don't really care about; backlit keyboard would be very nice, but it's never going to happen, and it's no big deal. Give me the faster processor and graphics, the IR/front row, and DVI, and I'll be placing my order within seconds of seeing it. Come on apple! My credit card is waiting! :D

gnasher729
Jan 23, 2006, 05:39 PM
Well I'm just looking at Intel's roadmap...

Core Duo (667Mhz FSB)
2.16Ghz - $637
2Ghz - $423
1.83Ghz - $294
1.66Ghz - $241
LV 1.66Ghz - $316
LV 1.5Ghz - $284

Core Solo (667Mhz FSB)
1.67Ghz - $209

Now why would Apple build a computer using a Core Solo chip (1.67 MHz for $209) instead of a Core Duo (1.67 MHz for $241)? That does not make any sense at all. With the second processor costing $32 more, Apple would have to be beaten silly with a clue stick if they used the Core Duo.

I would never, ever consider buying any computer with a Core Solo chip, whether it is from Apple, or from any other company. Core Solo at that price point is an absolute waste of time.

revfife
Jan 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
I would never, ever consider buying any computer with a Core Solo chip, whether it is from Apple, or from any other company. Core Solo at that price point is an absolute waste of time.

Well you wouldnt but others would. Seriously, why would apple put a 1.6 core duo chip in their "consumer" portable when their "pro" model has the same 1.6 core duo chip in it. They wouldn't sell any pro models.

I agree with the others mostly, we will see 1 model of the "intel ibook" in April.
13" 1.6 Core Solo
60 HD
512 MB
Available in Black or White

QCassidy352
Jan 23, 2006, 07:07 PM
Oh, there's something else the new 'books *need* to have. A brighter screen. Much, much brighter!! It's my major complaint with my ibook.

MacTT
Jan 25, 2006, 08:09 AM
I can understand if the new ibook has a core solo, while the macbook pro is a core duo. IMO, I think thats what will seperate the both laptops the most. But I don't understand why some people agree that the new ibook won't have an iSight.
"Oh, only advanced professional people can look at eachother using a webcam on their laptop." :p Heck, the iMac has one too.
It will be fair if the ibook has an iSight, and ... it will attract more people.

LastLine
Jan 25, 2006, 11:29 AM
Same price marks as current iBooks
Give or take a few yeah

Between 5.5lb and 5.9lb for the 14" or 15" model

Equal or better. The official figure will be between 6hrs and the official figure for the MacBook Pro 15".

Spec benchmarks will show these to be 3x faster than the iBook
Actually I rather expect the Core Solo chips in that are due for release soonish. That's the only reason I can see that Apple would've held off on the iBook release so far. So probably a 2xish clock speed?

I think they'll have iSight and IR remote, backlit keyboard, MagSafe, X1600 (but less VRAM than the MacBook Pro). No monitor spanning. The screen will be higher resolution than the iBook and brighter. The other thechnical features will be very similar to the existing iBook.
I'm not sure on the iSights, probably will be but who knows. Backlit keyboard? Nah. IR Remote, very likely, can't see any reason not to. Magsafe is possible, I can't imagine that costing much to put in and it just downright makes sense.

Hopefully higher resolution
I'm hoping that they'll have swappable cases (like the way you can swap mobile 'phone covers), but probably not for issue A. Probably available in black or white.d

buryyourbrideau
Jan 25, 2006, 11:31 AM
I doubt you will see anything over a 1280 res since the MB has a native of 1440.

BlizzardBomb
Jan 25, 2006, 12:01 PM
Now why would Apple build a computer using a Core Solo chip (1.67 MHz for $209) instead of a Core Duo (1.67 MHz for $241)? That does not make any sense at all. With the second processor costing $32 more, Apple would have to be beaten silly with a clue stick if they used the Core Duo.

Say Apple made 1,000 sales. That's $32,000 they could have saved! And why do you dislike Core Solo so much? They are a giant leap from G4s! The G4's FSB has been wallowing around in the 100s and the L2 cache is minute.

The MacBook, I think will indeed be available in 'two' flavours. With the switch to widescreen format in the LCD's it would seem logical for 13.3"/15.2" to be used (15.4" reserved for 'pro', just to be different, you know Apple guys!)

I think it would be easier for Apple to just stick with the one screen. That and a 15.2" would have more pixels per inch than a 15.4".

MarkCollette
Jan 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
I can understand if the new ibook has a core solo, while the macbook pro is a core duo. IMO, I think thats what will seperate the both laptops the most. But I don't understand why some people agree that the new ibook won't have an iSight.
"Oh, only advanced professional people can look at eachother using a webcam on their laptop." :p Heck, the iMac has one too.
It will be fair if the ibook has an iSight, and ... it will attract more people.

I totally agree with what you say. But one thing I'd like to add is that, before, with iBooks and PowerBooks, marketing-wise it came across like they were very different lines. With MacBook and MacBook Pro, there doesn't sound like such a need to differentiate the lines. Pro need only add a bit to set itself about from the regular. Things like having a better hard drive or a better cpu might be enough, without having to have totally different enclosures. Hopefully hardware crippling (no spanning on iBook, even though GPU supports it) will now be defunct.

yankeefan24
Jan 25, 2006, 03:19 PM
Say Apple made 1,000 sales. That's $32,000 they could have saved!

yes, but if they have the core solo and people decide, that dell is a better buy with the core duo, then they have just lost x sales.

IMHO, they will make the MBP and the MB in the same line, ((called the MacBook)with differences like choosing colors on the MB, etc.) and will make a subnotebook. I have used the sony one (pictured in a previous reply) and that seems like a really nice computer for me. I would like a bigger screen though so Sony's new 13" Core Duo also seems nice (although i haven't used it) for my needs. I travel enough now that i realized i need a light, portable or ultraportable laptop. the iBooks don't cut it for me. I don't NEED a new laptop, but i would like one. If apple made a small, light, powerfull laptop, i would buy that. i am willing to wait until august. But if apple doesnt release it by september 1, i will be determined to hack os x into a sony. Apple has some pretty big competition in that range now, and they have to get into that market.

EDIT: I do wish that if they do decide to build in an isight, that it should be optional or removable. Think about it. You push a button on the bottom or side of the screen, and it pops out, and you can replace it with a metal piece that fits perfectly. That could work for the people who can't have cameras in work or dont want them.

revfife
Jan 25, 2006, 03:31 PM
yes, but if they have the core solo and people decide, that dell is a better buy with the core duo, then they have just lost x sales.

Yes the processor might be slower, but you contradict yourself with your signature. You say you like "new designs". Have you seen a "new design" from Dell for the past upteen years? How about ever? What about a machine that is not bound to Windows XP? What about letting OS's actually compete for their merits and not because of hardware?

If you like the sonys, I would say get a sony. Their designs might be better, but I guarantee their OS is not. Most of them cost the same or more than Apple's offerings by the time you customize then with a comparable graphics card, burner, and hd. And they have the added disadvantage of windows. You would probably be bound to windows because OSX uses EFI not BIOS and probably has some sort of failsafe built into the machine.

BTW: Go Red Sox! :D

yankeefan24
Jan 25, 2006, 03:52 PM
Yes the processor might be slower, but you contradict yourself with your signature. You say you like "new designs". Have you seen a "new design" from Dell for the past upteen years? How about ever? What about a machine that is not bound to Windows XP? What about letting OS's actually compete for their merits and not because of hardware?

If you like the sonys, I would say get a sony. Their designs might be better, but I guarantee their OS is not. Most of them cost the same or more than Apple's offerings by the time you customize then with a comparable graphics card, burner, and hd. And they have the added disadvantage of windows. You would probably be bound to windows because OSX uses EFI not BIOS and probably has some sort of failsafe built into the machine.

BTW: Go Red Sox! :D

1) I was referring to people in general, not myself. I hate all dell's. But i know alot of people like them.

2) Believe me, if sony had os x on it, i would be typing on one of those. BUT, OS X is way to valuable for me to give it up for a newer design from sony. Price is not a very high concern for me, and graphics cards are not important to me AT ALL. Sony makes a base core solo machine, when upgraded to a core duo and similar apple specs, cost about 1700 dollars. But thats with a smaller screen. (note, i compared to the lower priced MBP).

3) I hate windows more than i hate the red sox. I would only buy a windows if necessary, (right now, its not). If i do need to buy a windows, it will be a sony. And i know that no one has been able to get mac on a windows or vise-versa.

4) I decided to edit this out because it has absolutly nothing to do with Macs or windows.

EDIT: BTW, my signature says i hate old designs, it never says i like new designs, even though i do. But i don't like all of the futuristic people trying to make their product look like it came out of the year 2050 designs. Those are almost all ugly.

Mord
Jan 25, 2006, 03:53 PM
i dont see why people like sony's designs, they are clunky and ugly, seriously whats with that am i on my own here, i'm not saying this as an apple fanboy i'm saying this as a aesthetic perfectionist.

yankeefan24
Jan 25, 2006, 04:04 PM
i dont see why people like sony's designs, they are clunky and ugly, seriously whats with that am i on my own here, i'm not saying this as an apple fanboy i'm saying this as a aesthetic perfectionist.

Apple designs are nice, but i would like them to upgrade them more. Having the same design for a computer for years and years is not what is going to make me buy one. In general, i will not buy something that looks the same as something that still works that is old. This is most evident in computers, but can also be related to cars, etc. I wont go out and buy a BMW, and then in a few years, get one that looks the same. I like sony's design because of their size, weight, and ability to change the colors. I'm not saying i love every aspect of sony vaio design, but if you combined a sony vaio with a powerbook (or ibook), you would probably end up having my ultimate computer (until its obsolete).

Mord
Jan 25, 2006, 04:37 PM
for me design is timeless, if apple decided to keep the cube going i'd buy them in 4 year cycles. the alubook is the best designed laptop i have ever seen period, sure it'd be nice if it was made of titainium or carbon fiber but aluminium remains the best cost effective material for a laptop in it's class.

jamesi
Jan 25, 2006, 06:06 PM
the battery life has to be better b/c one of the reasons apple switched to intel is b/c intel chips use less power. i think the battery life will be around 6 hours at best. the big deal will be speed. they will prolly go dual core for the ibooks, and even if they dont a centrino or the likes is better than a G4. screen size should be roughly the same as it is now. apple has the makings to blow away the old ibooks and its going to take alot to mess that up.

Mord
Jan 25, 2006, 06:10 PM
how wrong you are, quick tip, just type because instead of b/c.

dredakiss
Jan 25, 2006, 08:03 PM
it's a proven and popular design, and believe it or not, many of their target audience would not appreciate having to go to 13" if that implies (as it might) that they'll lose vertical space compard to the 12" - students and those with a lot of word processing needs want vertical space, and the 12" is the minimum, with 13 cutting into that.

Apple ibook is going to be marketed to more than students soon. I think apple will try to take as much as possible from the success of the ipod. This is why they released the mac mini as well. Similarly the macbook will be more of a digital entertainment device, hence the widescreen 13" size, for watching dvds. I see two models, one that agrees with what your saying, for the academic market, and the other for the switchers.

Svennig
Jan 26, 2006, 03:34 PM

As someone has pointed out, to make an artificial diference between the consumer (ibook equivalent) and pro (macbook) lines.

I'd place good money that even if a 1.5 ghz solo cost as much as a 1.5 ghz duo we'd get the solo in the ibook. Which is annoying.

HOWEVER, I do think there will be a MacBook Pro 13.3" released for 1099/$1599 with the following specs:

MacBook Pro 13.3"

Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Processor w/ 667Mhz FSB
13.3" Screen with 1440 x 900 resolution
512Mb Memory (2Gb Max) NO SOLDERED MEMORY PLEASE APPLE!!
Dual-Layer Superdrive (and too will be the other MacBook Pro's)
80Gb 5400rpms Hard Drive
Airport and Bluetooth
Ati Radeon X1300 128Mb Graphics (yes this will disappoint, but its been the case with the 9700's and FX5200 on the 12incher)
Firewire 400, USB 2.0 x 2 Ports, MagSafe, Ethernet, DVI-Out, NO MODEM

(Modified from original, but credit must be given) This is my perfect laptop. I dont care about 99% of the pro features on the macbook. I don't want an aluminium case. I don't want a built-in isight camera. I dont care about front row. I dont care about keyboards that light up, or automatically adjusting screen brightness. Okay, I might like the magsafe power connector.

What I want is this:
Core Duo:
I'd much rather have a 1.4 (or lower) ghz core duo than a 1.8 core solo.
Better Screen:
should be smaller in size (hence 13" is perfect), must be brighter, must have much better resolution. the screen on current ibooks is shocking.

If an ibook had that, I wouldn't buy a macbook. Which is exactly why we won't see it. We'll get core solo (even if apple could get core duos for the same price) and we'll have a lame screen.

galstaph
Jan 26, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking it will have a translucent apple on the back;)

Maybe two models:
12-13.x" widescreen (slightly higher res.)
949$ (slightly lower US price) (1199 Canadian no doubt)
64mb card probably the 9600 from the old powerbooks (spanning disabled)
60Gb standard hd (4200rpm); upgrade to 80 and 100 5200 rpm
512mb standard ram 1gb built-in option; still only one slot
2 USB and 1 firewire
airport and bluetooth
no modem (optional adapter)
magnetic powercord from MBP
Core duo lv1.5ghz (saving $$ on old powerbook hd and videocard so they can put in a fast chip)
8 hour "claimed" battery life - 6.5 actual usage
no isight
superdrive option

14.5" - 15" widescreen 1249$
same as above except:
128mb video card (still something like 9600 series)
superdrive
core duo lv1.67ghz
isight
80gb hd standard
card slot of some type

Anything I neglected would be the same as the present ones.

perhaps some special colours (other than white) for the anniversary: clear and black
And don't forget the engraving option like the ipods:D

powerbook911
Jan 26, 2006, 07:58 PM
I think they'll keep the 12-inch iBook, and then have a 13 inch iBook too at the higher prices.

Of course, they'll be renamed.

rhsgolfer33
Jan 27, 2006, 03:28 PM
IMHO I think we'll see something like this:

13.3" widescreen 1280x800 (brighter hopefully)
1.6ghz Core Solo (Would love for it to be a duo at 1.5ghz)
512Mb standard (hopefully 667 like the macbook pro)
64Mb ATI X1400 or Nvidia GeForce Go6200 (Would love 128Mb)
60Gb 4200 RPM Hd standard-upgrades: 80Gb, 100Gb, and 80Gb@5200 RPM.
Superdrive 4x standard
Airport Extreme and Bluetooth+EDR
1 Firewire, 2 USB 2.0
iSight+Microphone, Frontrow+Remote, MagSafe

I think it'll be lighter and a little bit thinner but definetly have a batterylife that reaches 6 hours. I alsot think they'll come out with a 15.4" inch versions as well that'll be similar but possibly have a graphics card upgrade to 128mb and a faster core solo.

Mord
Jan 28, 2006, 04:37 AM
the x1400 is just a low power x1300 thus it'll cost more.

rhsgolfer33
Jan 28, 2006, 01:38 PM
the x1400 is just a low power x1300 thus it'll cost more.

Thats kinda why I said 1400 instead of 1300, it fits in with the "it'll be lighter and a little bit thinner but definetly have a battery life" at the bottom of my post. And with the bulk that apple will be buying cards from ATI in, it wouldnt be that much more, plus they might sell a few more because people will be wowed that they got a "x1400 instead of an x1300." People are surprisingly sucked in by bigger numbers on hardware names, even if it doesnt actually mean the hardware is really that much better.

OldCorpse
May 16, 2006, 11:14 AM
OK, as promised back in January, I dug up this thread once the new macbooks arrived... a thread full of predictions... I got some things wrong, some right, and some we'll know once the macbooks are in use... so how did you do?

Here's the question:

OK - I think there's only one area where they might be significantly better - a better screen (brighter), and more RAM on the GPU.

So, given this, I vote the new iBooks will not make me green with envy when I look at my current PPC iBook. I think I'll look at the new iBooks, and go: meh...

Who know, maybe I'll be eating crow, once the new iBooks come out :) ! And how about you?

MarkCollette
May 18, 2006, 10:18 AM
OK, as promised back in January, I dug up this thread once the new macbooks arrived... a thread full of predictions... I got some things wrong, some right, and some we'll know once the macbooks are in use... so how did you do?

Were you right about anything? :D

OldCorpse
May 18, 2006, 10:29 AM
LOL! Well, I made 6 predictions, and the first 3 I was clearly right on (will not be cheaper than iBooks, not lighter, and not longer battery life), two unknown as yet (will they be screamers to the point where they virtually eliminate the pinwheel in daily use compared to the latest iBooks, and will the build quality be better), and one clearly wrong (they DID get many goodies like iSight, audio in, monitor spanning etc.).