PDA

View Full Version : Cats keep turning off my powerbook :p

TheLost
Jan 21, 2006, 10:13 AM
My cats love to come sit on my powerbook because its nice and warm. I don't really mind the random keystrokes, but often times they manage to sit on the power button and turn it off. I've lost a little work from this once or twice... Is there any way that I can disable the power off key or make it so that they cant turn it off just by sitting on it?

Thanks!

Nickygoat
Jan 21, 2006, 10:24 AM
They? You can get more than one cat on your PowerBook? You have the 17" or very small cats?:p
Mine don't sit on my keyboard but do stare at the cursor or the iTunes visuals for hours.
System Preferences ->Energy Saver -> Options untick the box that says "Allow power button to sleep this computer". That should solve it.
If they're turning it off completely (ie. a hard reset) that's different and um... let me look.
Actually I'm not sure yo can disable that - it's there in case everything locks up and it's the only way to turn the machine off (doesn't happen very often but occasionally). Maybe stick something around the power button so the cat won't sit there?

Jay42
Jan 21, 2006, 10:31 AM
I have a 15" PowerBook running 10.4.4, and there is no option to sleep the computer with the power button. I don't think there is no way to change the function of the button. And even if there is, I am even more sure there is no way to disable the hard reset function (holding the power button).

As for a realistic solution, I think it would probably be easiest to physically cover the button somehow.

thedude110
Jan 21, 2006, 12:18 PM
As for a realistic solution, I think it would probably be easiest to physically cover the button somehow.

Or perhaps purchase an electric blanket for the cats.

That you don't keep on your PB. :D

MacAztec
Jan 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
Solution: Next time the cat jumps up there, smack it

Quick fix

2nyRiggz
Jan 21, 2006, 12:53 PM
Get a dog screensaver....that will do the trick

Bless

California
Jan 21, 2006, 12:55 PM
Cat hair and dander near my Powerbook?

I don't think so.

Hope you have an iSkin for the keyboard.

And why don't you get an IceStand or and iCurve or Macally Icepad so that the cats can't really lay on your powerbook because it is on an angle.

Flowbee
Jan 21, 2006, 01:04 PM
Here's one member's solution to a similar problem. ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2035280#post2035280

superbovine
Jan 21, 2006, 02:07 PM
Here's one member's solution to a similart problem. ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2035280#post2035280

LOL

Lazyhound
Jan 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
Tape a bottle cap over the button?

Superdrive
Jan 21, 2006, 08:31 PM

Quick fix

That works here. It especially drives me nuts when I'm in the middle of an iChat and all of a sudden "hirukhnr3jij3111!!!1!" comes through. Smack.

floatingspirit
Jan 21, 2006, 08:47 PM
Just spray it down with "Cat b' Gone". It's like Cat nip, but in reverse :)

http://users.dslextreme.com/~craig.lawson/cat-b-gone.html

Cleans, shines and repels all in one! :)

iDM
Jan 21, 2006, 09:10 PM
Our families new kitten walks all over my Powerbook. He has never really hurt anything but I do not want him to make a habit of it. He also goes behind my monitor some times and puts his paws on the top which inevitably shuts it. It's cute enough that I don't get mad but when he gets bigger it wont be.

EricNau
Jan 21, 2006, 09:23 PM
I've never owned a powerbook, just used one, and I've never been able to tell, are the power buttons touch sensitive, or is there an actual button?

If they are touch sensitive, wouldn't a pice of tape over the button work? (if it was masking tape it would be easy enough to remove when needed)

Counterfit
Jan 21, 2006, 09:30 PM

Quick fix
Not so much. Cats respond to smacks by biting and scratching you back. Since spraying them with water near your PB is a bad idea, just yell at them or get an air horn.

Superdrive
Jan 21, 2006, 09:56 PM
Not so much. Cats respond to smacks by biting and scratching you back. Since spraying them with water near your PB is a bad idea, just yell at them or get an air horn.
That just means you didn't get to it young enough. Or I just have a well trained *****.

rendezvouscp
Jan 21, 2006, 10:21 PM
I've never owned a powerbook, just used one, and I've never been able to tell, are the power buttons touch sensitive, or is there an actual button?

They're actual buttons that you have to physically press.

As for the cat situation...no clue. Good luck though!
-Chasen