Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is gearing up to begin its annual "Back to School" promotion in the United States and other countries on Tuesday, July 1, offering iTunes Store/App Store gift cards to students that purchase a Mac, iPad, or iPhone.

According to a source who spoke to MacRumors, Apple's 2014 Back to School promotion will be similar to the 2013 promotion, providing students with a $100 App Store gift card for the purchase of a new Mac or a $50 App Store gift card with the purchase of an iPad or iPhone.

back_to_school_2013_window.jpg
2013 Back to School Retail Display​
In the past, all iPhones, iPads, and Macs have been eligible for the promotion, with the exception of the Mac mini. The 2013 promotion was available in the following countries, with varying gift card amounts, and the 2014 promotion is likely to be similar: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

Apple is expected to decorate its retail stores with new window displays overnight, adjusting signage and other aspects of store layouts, and Apple has indeed scheduled an overnight refresh of its store visuals tonight, as reported by 9to5Mac earlier this month.

Apple's Back to School promotion is held at different times throughout the year in different countries to correspond to various educational calendars, but the summer program is typically the company's largest as it encompasses the United States, Canada, and Europe.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Annual 'Back to School' Promotion Tomorrow

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Quick question, If i'm a student (from another country) who'll be in the US during this promotion will I be able to use it? Like will will I need to show to be eligible for this?

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
The problem Apple runs into is that you can buy just about ANY Mac for $100 lower than you can buy it at the Apple Store. In most states you can not pay Tax also, making the savings MUCH better than the Apple retail price.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Quick question, If i'm a student (from another country) who'll be in the US during this promotion will I be able to use it? Like will will I need to show to be eligible for this?

Last time we were eligible for it, they only asked for a valid student email address (like one from your university), which both my wife and I had. From there, we were good.

BL.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I like that the term "Ramen" appears on the display to the right; Apple is getting you into the proper mindset of post-Mac-purchase life. :p

Last edited:

joshwolf

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Back to school already?

When I was a kid school didn't get out until the last week of June. It's not quite July and we're already starting our back-to-school sales?

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
This should help Best Buy continue their discounts.

The $829 iMac last week for 1 day had me pretty close.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
This promotion used to be so much better. I got an iPod worth $250 as part of the promotion just 4 years ago. I could have even gotten $100 off a printer.

Flight3

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
This promotion used to be so much better. I got an iPod worth $250 as part of the promotion just 4 years ago. I could have even gotten $100 off a printer.
I remember that too! Good times :cool:

Also, has there been any more news on when apple will update the retina macbook pros? I've been planning to update this year and I was hoping to get one during the back to school promotion. Are they usually released after the promotion or should I just wait?

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Given the rather crappy updates this year, how about $100 off as well as a $100 iTunes card? I'm not holding my breath, tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.