Jan 29, 2002, 02:20 AM
check it out
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/23158.html

IndyGopher
Jan 29, 2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by mac15
check it out
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/23158.html

Um.. that article is from the 3rd of December.. it's not "MORE" G5 crap, it's 2 month-old G5 crap.

networkman
Jan 29, 2002, 03:41 AM
we will hear about the g5 until the day it comes out and that may be many months from now, but i hope not

i do like that we finally hit that magic ghz number

Beej
Jan 29, 2002, 04:14 AM
You're right. We will hear about the G5 until it comes out.

And when it comes out, it won't be fast enough.

And then the speed bump it gets will be too small.

And then we will hear about the G6, while people are still complaining that the G5 speed bumps aren't big enough.

And then the G6 will come out, but it won't be fast enough...

:D :D :D

Ain't it so much fun?

newmanium
Jan 29, 2002, 08:17 PM
haha, good stuff...wait a minute, my ibook is pretty slow

eyelikeart
Jan 30, 2002, 01:39 AM
hell.....even after it's released....we're going to hear about the G5....

there will be plenty of people around here who won't be satisfied...

personally, I'm quite pleased to see the 1 Ghz barrier finally broken by Apple....

Way to go!! :p

maclamb
Jan 30, 2002, 02:38 AM
perhaps not a great insight but I think the driven-ness of us on this site trying to get the best and fastest is more a (forgive me) male matter of who's is longer or who pisses farthest or even simply we want to get the best deal we can at the time for the money.
It has always been true that we spend the same amount of $ about every 18 months - but get lots more for it.

none of us like to think we got taken....
but really, how many of us will notice a difference between DP 800 NVidia and the 1.0Ghz DP ATi 7500?

maclamb
Jan 30, 2002, 02:42 AM
by definition any computer is too slow.

so, the real question is, when to jump in?
It's like when to buy a house to ghet the best mortgage rate...

spikey
Jan 30, 2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by maclamb
perhaps not a great insight but I think the driven-ness of us on this site trying to get the best and fastest is more a (forgive me) male matter of who's is longer or who pisses farthest or even simply we want to get the best deal we can at the time for the money.
It has always been true that we spend the same amount of $ about every 18 months - but get lots more for it.

none of us like to think we got taken....
but really, how many of us will notice a difference between DP 800 NVidia and the 1.0Ghz DP ATi 7500?

We might well notice a difference, we just dont know till we get the damn thing. not neceseraly because of the clock speed improvement but possibly because of the differnce in design of the apollo chips. Example: difference in speed between the 7410 and the 7450 (think i got those right, correct me if im wrong). both called the G4, both similar in clock speed, but because of design in cache etc the 7450 is faster.

agreenster
Jan 30, 2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by maclamb
by definition any computer is too slow.

so, the real question is, when to jump in?
It's like when to buy a house to ghet the best mortgage rate...

Excellent point.

Until computers are imbedded into our brains, and are designed to speed up the neuro-transmition process, computers will be too slow.

Hey thats a good idea......maybe Apple can call it 'iBrain.' Or maybe 'iNerd.' Or 'iThink.' You heard it here first, kiddies.

I predict G5's MWSF '03. That'll be the big buzz. You all know Apple wont be the first ones out with an affordable 64 bit chip. AMD and Intel have already broken ground and released chips, albiet buggy and expensive.