Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbientChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
I have a Mac+Win shared drive and I've decided to partition it using NTFS to fully take advantage of NTFS stuff on the Windows side, rather than using MacDrive.

I read the following in a Microsoft MSDN article:

Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?
Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

Anyway, I'm going to add a FAT partition using Disk Utility, then switch over to Windows and format it as NTFS.

Just wanted to make sure that HFS+ and NTFS on the same GPT disk won't cause any problems and will play well with both OS's? The Windows installation is Win8 x64.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
I have a Mac+Win shared drive and I've decided to partition it using NTFS to fully take advantage of NTFS stuff on the Windows side, rather than using MacDrive.

I read the following in a Microsoft MSDN article:

Anyway, I'm going to add a FAT partition using Disk Utility, then switch over to Windows and format it as NTFS.

Just wanted to make sure that HFS+ and NTFS on the same GPT disk won't cause any problems and will play well with both OS's? The Windows installation is Win8 x64.

No, you'll be fine. I have an external gpt hard drive that is partitioned HFS+/ext4/NTFS and I've never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.