Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
does anyone have any useful sites teaching the magic of the pen tool? I used to have an adequate grasp of this but since I haven't used it in a long while I seem to have forgotten alot of the basics. A layout i'm working on at the moment using some clipping paths will be very useful as i'm laying text under a path (or trying to) and I may want to change the font later on or mess around with the positioning. I'm doing it in photoshop and can't seem to remember how to make some text go under the selection once the selections made (once it's all linked up)? The other thing i've forgotten to do is when you use the bezier pen where you have to drag the points to creates the curves after i've created the curce by dragging the point and letting go it will often start from the grab handles rather than the original end point.

I doubt much of that will make too much sense as it's late and my eyes are blurred but if anyone can decifer that jibberish I'd be greatfull. I'll post some pics in the morning that should explain it better.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
To make a selection from a drawn path in Photoshop, click over to the paths pallette and select your path. Renaming it helps because if you don't the next path you draw will overwrite this one. Then choose 'make selection' from the little arrow drop-down. After it's a selection, you can simply copy and paste the selection onto a new layer, then put your text on a layer just below it.

Don't know if that helps- not sure I really understood what you're asking! :confused:

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
ahha that's perfect, the only thing I can't stop it doing which I couldn't see in any tutorials was as I make a curve like this and pull on the handles:

ppen_addpointicon.gif

when I let go and make a second point the next line would start from the point of that handle and not where the cente is in that pic :confused: Could have sworn it never used to do that.

zlhade

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2006
philippines
clipping paths made easy for you...

http://www.LazyMask.com <<this site does clipping path and image masking. if you have lots of pictures or images that needs to have clipping paths on them, then just visit the site out. it sure could help.

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
pretty cool website that is actually I love the way they've outlined content sections using the pen tool as a border:

advancedmask_01.gif

simplemask_05.gif

Can see that being useful for magazine companies that may have deadlines to meet if staff are off ill or over-loaded with work etc

zlhade

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2006
philippines
Sam/B said:
pretty cool website that is actually I love the way they've outlined content sections using the pen tool as a border:

advancedmask_01.gif

simplemask_05.gif

Can see that being useful for magazine companies that may have deadlines to meet if staff are off ill or over-loaded with work etc

outsourcing clipping path and image masking is a best choice for those companies who are into webshops and some photographer's who don't want to waste their time on doing the clipping path.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Not to get too far OT here but I've found that pathing using a Wacom tablet is the fastest way to go. Riding the keys with one hand and the pen in the other you can cruise around an image very quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.