Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnW63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Has anyone heard any rumors about an Apple product line that will replace the eMac in price ?

I work at a school district and we have purchased a LOT of iMacs and eMacs in the past. With the end of CRT all-in-one Macs, the $650-ish price range is gone. Sure, we could get Mini's but that means $469+$60 for keyboard and mouse+$200-$300 for some third party 17" flat panel. SO, we're looking at $730-$830 for each unit. We'd probably have to spend some more to lock these LITTLE Mini's down too.

I already have principals and admin types who think getting some Dell computer , under $500 WITH 15" display is a better way to go. It's the age old " kids should learn on what they will use in the real world..." argument. I have always found that a Mac works better and longer with LESS tech support than a PC, in an elementary environment.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't Apple still sell the eMacs to schools?

If you get the mini then you have quite a high initial cost but come replacement time, you only need a new box so in the long term it's actually quite cheap.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Kids use windows in the 'real world' only because that's what they're taught on ;)

BUt in answer, surely a 15" TFT would give similar results to your 17" eMac's? Viewing area on a 15" flat is very similar to a 17" CRT as memory serves. Maybe a mini + 15" combo is the way to go?

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
if they want kids to have real world experience, they should let em use macs... at the university level they'll probably be required to use macs. my school (uc davis) has tons of mac computer labs that english classes are held in, using imac g5s... and the design classes all use powermac g5s... damn, it's fun to work in a multimedia lab at school and have access to a powermac all the time xD

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
The eMac is still available for purchase. It is not on the regular Apple store but if you go to the institutional page it is still there. I don't think
it is going away anytime soon.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
mad jew said:
Don't Apple still sell the eMacs to schools?

Not here in the UK at least. Last time we enquired, the eMacs had been discontiuned and they were only clearing warehouse stock. After that... who knows. There definitely appears to be a hole in the Mac line up now.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
dops7107 said:
Not here in the UK at least. Last time we enquired, the eMacs had been discontiuned and they were only clearing warehouse stock. After that... who knows. There definitely appears to be a hole in the Mac line up now.

Yep same here in Ireland. I wanted to get one as a cheap spare mac (before the mini's) and I thought the design was actually nicer than the RevA G5 iMac.

I found it very difficult to get hold of one, then I contacted Apple Customer Services based in Cork (about 1 hour away from me) to see if they could help and maybe get a refurb model. But no luck whatsoever. I was tols they had completely stopped selling the machine and therefore couldnt help me.....

Shame... The mac mini's are ok, they are quiet and such but I would have prefered an emac. :)

JohnW63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
The eMac is still available for purchase

No they're not. They been gone for a few weeks.

Someone mentioned going to a 15" LCD monitor. They go for about $180-$200. A 17" starts at about $225. It doesn't seem to save much.

What I need is for Apple to come out with a lower priced Mini ( Intel chip ? ) and bundle it with a 17" for $600. I doubt that will happen.

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
JohnW63 said:
No they're not. They been gone for a few weeks.

Someone mentioned going to a 15" LCD monitor. They go for about $180-$200. A 17" starts at about $225. It doesn't seem to save much.

What I need is for Apple to come out with a lower priced Mini ( Intel chip ? ) and bundle it with a 17" for $600. I doubt that will happen.
Hah. A mac monitor for under 700$ are you out of your mind?

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
MUCKYFINGERS said:
if they want kids to have real world experience, they should let em use macs... at the university level they'll probably be required to use macs. my school (uc davis) has tons of mac computer labs that english classes are held in, using imac g5s... and the design classes all use powermac g5s... damn, it's fun to work in a multimedia lab at school and have access to a powermac all the time xD

??? in my university we used beautiful Silicon Graphics until the Dell invasion came, 'probably' they will use Windows, unfortunatly.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Anyone think we'll see a interim machine like the G3 AIO come into fill the place of the eMac until there is another good design?

Sad to see the eMac gone, btw. Even though it is as loud as a jet engine, it is still an impressive piece of machinery in most dormrooms and some home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.