Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Sometimes you see "-" posts but they're always 3 years old or so.

Did the site used to have this?

Why take it away :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Sometimes you see "-" posts but they're always 3 years old or so.

Did the site used to have this?

Why take it away :D

Yes, it did. There were many requests for it's removal, suggesting that if someone did not like a post, or disagreed with it, they make the effort to make a constructive comment.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't even understand why people bother with the voting at all. It's not like it does anything.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I don't even understand why people bother with the voting at all. It's not like it does anything.

IMHO, the voting system allows a thread to stay smaller, lighter and cleaner.

Instead of a thread full of +1 or "yes, I agree" or similar post, people who agree with a popular post can just click the +1 button to add their input with out cluttering up the thread.

And a similar comment would go along with the "-1" button. If you disagree with someone's comments, but aren't so enraged with it that you need to write a paragraph about why that person's opinion is completely wrong and why they are an idiot, the "-1" button provided some politically correct grey area.

I fully realize that the purpose of this, or any forum is to get people to post an opinion or share something, but the reality of many topics is that a lot of forum members don't really have an earth shattering comment worth posting.

IMHO, the voting system, both positive and negative, is a wonderful way of keeping threads free of "me too" posts, or at least limiting them.

Its a shame that a few vocal members got the negative votes removed. On several other forum's I frequent, the positive/negative voting system works great, and at least in my mind, provides a "stop and think before I post this controversial item" means for people who might just otherwise post stuff to stir people up.

Just my opinion.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
IMHO, the voting system allows a thread to stay smaller, lighter and cleaner.

Instead of a thread full of +1 or "yes, I agree" or similar post, people who agree with a popular post can just click the +1 button to add their input with out cluttering up the thread.

And a similar comment would go along with the "-1" button. If you disagree with someone's comments, but aren't so enraged with it that you need to write a paragraph about why that person's opinion is completely wrong and why they are an idiot, the "-1" button provided some politically correct grey area.

I fully realize that the purpose of this, or any forum is to get people to post an opinion or share something, but the reality of many topics is that a lot of forum members don't really have an earth shattering comment worth posting.

IMHO, the voting system, both positive and negative, is a wonderful way of keeping threads free of "me too" posts, or at least limiting them.

Its a shame that a few vocal members got the negative votes removed. On several other forum's I frequent, the positive/negative voting system works great, and at least in my mind, provides a "stop and think before I post this controversial item" means for people who might just otherwise post stuff to stir people up.

Just my opinion.

Posts of the type suggested above (highlighted) are a MR Rule violation (see below).

As mentioned, the intent (successful or not, that's a personal judgement) was to encourage constructive, if critical, posts in response to a post with which one might disagree...not simply a down vote.

From Forum Rules:

Things Not to Do

These habits can produce warnings and repeated violations can produce bans.

Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

Antares

macrumors 68000

It shows that you agree with or like something that someone wrote or posted without actually having to go through the effort of making a comment. Kind of like what Facebook does with the “likes.” If you don't have something constructive to add to the converstion but agree with what was posted, this is a way to show your agreement.

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
I miss it as well.

I too would like to see the down vote button back. As per the rules, if I just posted "Stupid post", I would be in violation of said rules.

The up or down vote button lets me quickly say I agree or disagree.

As someone already stated, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ratsg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.