PDA

View Full Version : The New iMac Dazzles, but Hold That Purchase

MacBytes
Jan 22, 2006, 11:24 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: The New iMac Dazzles, but Hold That Purchase (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060122122457)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

macnulty
Jan 22, 2006, 01:46 PM
Nice glowing praise for the Intel iMac, but i'm not sure what the author expects to change in a month to warrant holding off a purchase.

Clix Pix
Jan 22, 2006, 01:56 PM
Rob has been a long-time tech writer for the POST and he strives to keep everything well-balanced so that he doesn't offend vendors or consumers. He is careful when addressing issues with Windows, for instance. I strongly suspect that at heart he is definitely a Mac fan and I know that he does have at least one Mac at home for personal use.

I think that he wrote what he did in this column so that some people who had never used a Mac wouldn't rush out to buy the new intel-based iMac and then be a bit disappointed when some applications (those run under Rosetta) weren't as speedy as they'd anticipated, thus having a not-so-positive first experience with the Mac. Last thing anyone wants is for a whole bunch of Windows users to buy their first Mac, be unhappy when it didn't do what they expected, then bad-mouth Apple and the Mac. Better to warn those people to be a little patient, hold off on buying their first Mac for a couple of months until there is more universal software available; that way, the consumer will undoubtedly be happier, Apple will be happier (not as many complaints and returns) and things will move smoothly forward as Apple continues with the transition into Intel.

Just my thoughts on this, anyway...

OTB

rmhop81
Jan 22, 2006, 02:07 PM
most of these articles like rob's are for users that use a lot of programs from PPC. People like myself. All my programs i use are on pc. The only program i use on os x that would use rosetta is office 2004 which runs completely normal. So the rosetta thing isn't anything to me bc the other software i use is ilife 06 and stuff that is already compatible with the new intel chips. If you're a pro user, now is not the time to buy. If you're a basic mac user that only uses ilife and apps that already come on your mac, now is a great time to buy. That's why i went out and bought the new intel 17inch model. It flies. So much faster than my 12inch powerbook could ever do.

iMeowbot
Jan 22, 2006, 02:24 PM
And hardware. Rosetta doesn't handle PowerPC kexts or prefpanes. That's a show stopper for an upgrader who doesn't want to keep the old machine around.

SiliconAddict
Jan 22, 2006, 11:40 PM
Nice glowing praise for the Intel iMac, but i'm not sure what the author expects to change in a month to warrant holding off a purchase.

Simple...the MacBook Pros. Once these things start shipping there is going to be a major # of Intel Macs out there. Right now Apple is warning that they are not going to meet demand in any way shape or form for the MacBooks. Once these things start shipping there is going to be major demand for Universals to be released.

Clix Pix
Jan 23, 2006, 12:29 PM
Rob sends out an email newsletter every Monday. Today's talks a bit more about his column that reviewed the iMac and he has additional thoughts on it:

----------------------------------------------
Personal Tech Monday, Jan. 23, 2006

How Soon Is Now?

In yesterday's column, I reviewed Apple's iMac for the fourth time, and barely two months after the last time I'd checked out this all-in-one desktop. But the machine I tested this time around was nothing like any of the others -- it's got an Intel Core Duo processor on the inside instead of a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5.

For any computer company to change from one processor architecture to another -- much less one that it mocked in many of its old ads -- is uncommon. For a company to ship its first hardware with the new processors less than seven months after announcing its switch is even more unusual.

In that review, I was almost completely complimentary about the machine -- until the end, when I recommended not rushing out to buy one today unless you absolutely need a computer. That wasn't based on any particular pattern of problems I had with it, but my general experience of computing. Call it a hunch, call it superstition, but it's not always wise to jump on the latest, greatest thing.

Apple's history offers a few reasons why. The first release of Mac OS X wasn't a product any home user would want to spend much time with. And the first batch of iMac G5 desktops suffered an unusually high number of electrical problems, to the point that Apple wound up extending the warranty on those models.

On the other hand, sometimes it is worthwhile to risk upgrade-induced collateral damage if the option is even worse. That's why I all but ordered Windows users to install Microsoft's Service Pack 2 security fix.

The Intel iMac didn't show any serious issues in testing, but I also don't quite trust my ability to find every possible flaw in the few days I had to try it out. And if the alternative is sticking with an aging but still usable older Mac, that's not all that bad. So that's why I came up with my prescription.

On the other hand, I see that Amazon has a decent rebate on the iMac Core Duo, expiring Feb. 7. Surely, any critical bugs will have surfaced over the next two weeks, so it'll be safer to buy then, right?

-----------------------------------

OTB