PDA

View Full Version : Jobs to scoop $3.5bn as Pixar board approves Disney takeover

MacBytes
Jan 22, 2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Jobs to scoop $3.5bn as Pixar board approves Disney takeover (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060122122632)
Description:: The board of Pixar Animation Studios, the digital animations company, is set to meet tomorrow to approve the company's $7bn (�3.9bn) takeover by Disney.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

JeffTL
Jan 22, 2006, 11:40 AM
Makes sense for Disney to own the maker of its best products. For one thing, they now won't have to worry about Pixar flying the coop to another distributor.

mkamper
Jan 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
as long as Disney is smart enough to leave Pixar alone and not work it's corporate claws into Pixar's creative process.

Peace
Jan 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
Jobs will be the biggest stockholder in Disney so I doubt things will get bad.

d_and_n5000
Jan 22, 2006, 12:52 PM
Does this mean that Steve will get a high corporate position in Disney, then take over Disney, and then have Apple take over Disney? Then Apple would safely own most of the country.

Peace
Jan 22, 2006, 12:56 PM
Does this mean that Steve will get a high corporate position in Disney, then take over Disney, and then have Apple take over Disney? Then Apple would safely own most of the country.

Dunno.But it could mean future Macs will have Mickey inside.Or the Mighty Mouse might be renamed the Mickey Mouse:D

chicagdan
Jan 22, 2006, 12:58 PM
Does this mean that Steve will get a high corporate position in Disney, then take over Disney, and then have A

Let me finish your thought ... yes, this is a non-merger merger between Disney and Apple because Jobs is Apple. Apple now has full access to Disney content, which means a lot more than just TV and movie downloads, it means Apple has all the content it needs to launch an IPTV network.

Imagine a wireless video iPod that allows you to watch ESPN anywhere. It's less than two years away.

kainjow
Jan 22, 2006, 01:16 PM
What all does Disney own? I know they own ABC, and I thought I read that they own ESPN too? Either way, it'll be good for iPod content in the future :)

Peace
Jan 22, 2006, 01:19 PM
What all does Disney own? I know they own ABC, and I thought I read that they own ESPN too? Either way, it'll be good for iPod content in the future :)

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/disney.asp

A lot.

PlaceofDis
Jan 22, 2006, 01:22 PM
i'm kinda surprised that they are actually going through with it to be honest. but as long as Pixar is able to remain semi-independent they should still put out good movies.

i wonder what type of role Steve Jobs will play in Disney. will he even bother taking an exec position? perhaps on the Board? hard to tell.

one thing that i am noticing is that S.J. will have a place in history. He is starting to make a huge impact on the world. Yes the Mac would get honorable mention and the iPod increses that attention. Pixar is another tag. depending on what happens with Disney though.... :: shrugs ::
time will tell.

xtbfx
Jan 22, 2006, 01:23 PM

Wow, I had no idea Disney owned all that. That's crazy.

otter-boy
Jan 22, 2006, 01:26 PM
Let me finish your thought ... yes, this is a non-merger merger between Disney and Apple because Jobs is Apple. Apple now has full access to Disney content, which means a lot more than just TV and movie downloads, it means Apple has all the content it needs to launch an IPTV network.

Except that Disney has already licensed much of its content for digital distribution with Starz through its Vongo service. I think I read that this contract is exclusive for a couple of years or so.

BenRoethig
Jan 22, 2006, 02:00 PM

No. I could see Jobs on the Disney board (possibly as chairman), but I don't see him trying to running both Apple and Disney. He wouldn't be able to either job effectively.

rosalindavenue
Jan 22, 2006, 02:32 PM
The main problem I see with this is that Steve has just put himself in the same position as Sony-- he's a content owner and a digital device maker. As we have seen, This dual role made Sony more interested in DRM than in useable digital devices-- the Sony digital music players didn't even play MP3s until last year. Obviously, Steve is aware of this issue; I just hope that his new position doesn't color his judgment-- read my signature.

mulletman13
Jan 22, 2006, 02:32 PM

A lot.

Anybody notice the bottom of that?.... Disney has money invested in TiVo...... hmmmmmmm....

macnulty
Jan 22, 2006, 02:43 PM
SJ may become the largest stock holder, but what will be determinate is the percentage he owns. He could be the largest share holder at 5% or at 50%. I'm not claiming to know but what ever that figure is, could say alot about how the story plays out.

askthedust
Jan 22, 2006, 04:12 PM
Imagine if apple has access to disney/abc/miramax/beuna vista content and has Tivo software already for dvr boxes and say what about that rumor about the mini changing into a living room box and the picture starts to come into focus a little more. Add a couple kids and a disney subscription to get the whole thing started...

Jan 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
Imagine if apple has access to disney/abc/miramax/beuna vista content and has Tivo software already for dvr boxes and say what about that rumor about the mini changing into a living room box and the picture starts to come into focus a little more. Add a couple kids and a disney subscription to get the whole thing started...

dont forget the "disney computer". that could just become a mac mini shoved into a colourful box, not that is it an important product anyway.

tk421
Jan 22, 2006, 05:20 PM
as long as Disney is smart enough to leave Pixar alone and not work it's corporate claws into Pixar's creative process.

I agree completely! I have no problem with the Pixar toys and theme park rides and whatever else, as long as Disney handles this and lets Pixar alone with their films. They need to be able to function creatively without letting marketing dictate what they do.

tk421
Jan 22, 2006, 05:22 PM
SJ may become the largest stock holder, but what will be determinate is the percentage he owns. He could be the largest share holder at 5% or at 50%.

Good point. Anybody know what percent owner he would be?

balamw
Jan 22, 2006, 05:27 PM
Roughly 6%. .Disney is ~$50B Pixar is ~$7B. Jobs owns half of Pixar. Ergo 3.5/57=6%

B

mduser63
Jan 22, 2006, 05:29 PM

From what I've heard, he'll own about 7%, making him the largest individual shareholder but not the majority shareholder like he is with Pixar.

bousozoku
Jan 22, 2006, 05:29 PM
It's difficult to believe that the Pixar board members are so greedy as to approve such a transaction. It will likely be the ruin of the company and its employees, as Disney has been doing to itself and its employees.

I feel sorry for all of them. Looking out for number 1 applies, it seems.

Lau
Jan 22, 2006, 05:30 PM

Yeah, that's my biggest fear. Pixar has done some great stuff, Disney, not so much.

I suspect it's the Tivo stuff and Disney's other stuff that makes it a good deal for both parties.

balamw
Jan 22, 2006, 05:35 PM
It's difficult to believe that the Pixar board members are so greedy as to approve such a transaction.
I'm not sure it's all greed. Think about it this way. 3D CGI feature films are no longer solely Pixar's domain. Dreamworks/PDI and Fox/Blue Sky have done fairly well with Shrek, Madagascar and Ice Age. This may be Pixar's peak and the only way to stay on top is to keep a close association with Disney since they have a huge distribution channel, and a "prestige" brand which has been heavily diluted in the reign of Eisner.

B

macnulty
Jan 22, 2006, 06:29 PM
From what I've heard, he'll own about 7%, making him the largest individual shareholder but not the majority shareholder like he is with Pixar.

At that percentage, it's basically a moot thread.

chicagdan
Jan 22, 2006, 06:43 PM
At that percentage, it's basically a moot thread.

No it's not, he'll be chairman of Disney. Percentage of stock is meaningless, he'll have enormous say over what Disney does from now on. They should turn over Epcot to Apple, maybe it won't suck so badly.

macnulty
Jan 22, 2006, 06:47 PM
I think of Disney as the Microsoft of the entertainment industry - a very imperialistic and dominating low quality operation that totes the REPUBLICAN line. This is very depressing news. Jobs is a VERY DEMOCRAT personal friend of Bill Clinton's with Al Gore on the Apple Board. This makes me physically SICK to learn.

pedialyte, welcome to freedom

neonart
Jan 22, 2006, 06:50 PM
The History Channel! Woot!

Something interesting to DL from iTunes!

maya
Jan 22, 2006, 06:51 PM
Good for Jobs and Pixar in general. With Disney and all they venues, Pixar will grow in many ways and Jobs will acquire relations with various other media venues.

It seems like a plus for all parties and only time will tell if it all works out for the better. :)

emmawu
Jan 22, 2006, 06:52 PM
EPCOT stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired. ;)

maya
Jan 22, 2006, 06:52 PM
The History Channel! Woot!

Something interesting to DL from iTunes!

Hope Apple offers a multi resolution for varying prices to its customers. At the resolution size of the iPod that content should be offered for 0.50 Cents USD. :)

gco212
Jan 22, 2006, 07:03 PM
Anyone notice that Disney owns E!? That means that Disney distributes both Mickey Mouse and Howard Stern. Does anyone else find that funny?

meta-ghost
Jan 22, 2006, 07:04 PM
part of this doesn't make sense. jobs becomes disney's largest owner. jobs - on behalf of apple - then goes out searching for deals of content (for the ipod and whatever else he has up his sleeve) with other studios and content providers. he is now a COMPETITOR. doesn't this make it very, very hard for apple to get any content other than disney?

maybe he'll just take the cash?

mkaake
Jan 22, 2006, 07:06 PM
I think of Disney as the Microsoft of the entertainment industry - a very imperialistic and dominating low quality operation that totes the REPUBLICAN line. This is very depressing news. Jobs is a VERY DEMOCRAT personal friend of Bill Clinton's with Al Gore on the Apple Board. This makes me physically SICK to learn.

call me a skeptic... I thought there were some subjects that couldn't possibly be turned to partisan politics, but I was wrong...

Might be time to loosen up a bit, and not hang out in the online political arena...

If he becomes chairman, I'm all for it - Disney needs a turnaround, and they need to start thinking quality first, sales later.

bousozoku
Jan 22, 2006, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure it's all greed. Think about it this way. 3D CGI feature films are no longer solely Pixar's domain. Dreamworks/PDI and Fox/Blue Sky have done fairly well with Shrek, Madagascar and Ice Age. This may be Pixar's peak and the only way to stay on top is to keep a close association with Disney since they have a huge distribution channel, and a "prestige" brand which has been heavily diluted in the reign of Eisner.

B

I would hope since I thought that working at Pixar was a whole lot more friendly than Apple. I saw Michael Eisner's Disney suck the life from people and the company itself in the search for money.

Hopefully, things won't repeat themselves with Pixar under Disney.

derajfast
Jan 22, 2006, 07:19 PM

i believe many on the board of disney (both past and present) are fairly liberal

katzenberg, eisner, etc

katzenberg is now at skg with spielberg and gaffenberg......3 nice jewish boys who i believe are on the left side of the political spectrum

also, as per the person who said eisner diluted disneys profits......he revived disney in the late 80s and 90s. and only recently has he come under fire until his departure

AidenShaw
Jan 22, 2006, 07:21 PM
I would hope since I thought that working at Pixar was a whole lot more friendly than Apple. I saw Michael Eisner's Disney suck the life from people and the company itself in the search for money.

And Jobs' "personality" will be better?

Think of Disney board meetings - is it even possible to put "Jobs" and.

"consensus" in the same sentence?

(I was afraid to try....)

reyesmac
Jan 22, 2006, 07:22 PM
If Apple leverages Disney content to cement an iTunes Video/Multimedia empire then it will be worth it. If Disney just ends up sucking the magic out of Pixar then it will be a very sad day.
Maybe Jobs will be made the iCEO of Disney and he will fire off many employees and kill off some beloved but unprofitable characters. And in a few years, Disney will be a cutting edge media darling with products like the PoohPod and MickeyMac.:D

nagromme
Jan 22, 2006, 07:29 PM
I'm not into media consolidation. What are there, two media companies left producing all content, from news to fiction, in the US? Or are there still three? :o

I'm also not into Disney. But streamlining access to Disney and their many creative properties wouldn't be bad in the Apple vs. Microsoft battle.

(Also, is this article really only saying they will meet to DECIDE on this question? Is a decision to approve really a foregone conclusion? And how reliable is this source?)

AirFoil
Jan 22, 2006, 07:31 PM
EPCOT stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired. ;)

...or Every Paycheck Comes On Thursday. ;)

nightcap965
Jan 22, 2006, 07:41 PM
It's difficult to believe that the Pixar board members are so greedy as to approve such a transaction. It will likely be the ruin of the company and its employees, as Disney has been doing to itself and its employees.

In the words of that great entrepreneur, Krusty the Klown, "They drove a dump truck of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!"

BornAgainMac
Jan 22, 2006, 07:51 PM
one thing that i am noticing is that S.J. will have a place in history. He is starting to make a huge impact on the world. Yes the Mac would get honorable mention and the iPod increses that attention. Pixar is another tag. depending on what happens with Disney though.... :: shrugs ::
time will tell.

Jobs is starting to remind me of Forrest Gump with all his achievements.

NicP
Jan 22, 2006, 07:53 PM

Fortunatly Disney has a new CEO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Iger

Perhaps this will be a turnaround for Disney!

bodeh6
Jan 22, 2006, 07:53 PM
Now SJ can make a plug for Apple computers and/or iPods in all of Disney's films.

derajfast
Jan 22, 2006, 08:03 PM
eisner turned disney aroud the first time........give the man some credit my god

macnulty
Jan 22, 2006, 08:04 PM
No it's not, he'll be chairman of Disney. Percentage of stock is meaningless, he'll have enormous say over what Disney does from now on. They should turn over Epcot to Apple, maybe it won't suck so badly.

Eh, 7% voting stock is not a big deal (he doesn't own 93%). He (SJ) would have to work at getting at a voting majority for anything he wanted to do. As far as Epcot sucking, it does turn a profit.

MacFan26
Jan 22, 2006, 08:07 PM
Well I'll be sad if this will be the end of Pixar as we know it. Pixar has such a great personality and it's kind of depressing to know that Disney will own it. :( it's almost as bad as Microsoft buying Apple. Eesh

stephenli
Jan 22, 2006, 08:12 PM
A lot.

shocked.....

end of pixer? maybe
but more content for iPod and Mac

yankeefan24
Jan 22, 2006, 08:15 PM
but more content for iPod and Mac

disney already has some content on iTMS (nothing good). Maybe we'll get a movies section. Download Finding Nemo for 1.99. I know apple has (or had) digital copies of finding nemo in hand. they do (or used to) play them on some demo machines in SoHo.

MrSmith
Jan 22, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hopefully we won't have to suffer the likes of 'Chicken Little' again...

hyperpasta
Jan 22, 2006, 08:24 PM
This is a good thing. At some point, Pixar WILL make a bad or unpopular movie, and since they only make one every 2 years, it will ruin them.

As part of Disney, it's not so important.

EricNau
Jan 22, 2006, 08:28 PM
If SJ is the largest share-holder of Disney, it will also help Apple. This is a good thing.

bousozoku
Jan 22, 2006, 08:32 PM
eisner turned disney aroud the first time........give the man some credit my god

He turned it around for a while but if you'd seen the change of people and the environment--how he sucked the life out of Disney--you'd change your mind about him. So many great people are gone, so much progress is gone. Only plastic people run the company now. If Disney doesn't make a huge change, it will be the most hated company on Earth, ahead of Wal-Mart.

illegalprelude
Jan 22, 2006, 08:37 PM
Im not too happy with this news but from a corporate side, i can see how this would be well for Disney, Apple and Pixar.

We do live in a world where most companies are owned by others so its no surprise. As long as Disney dosent try to interfear with Pixar's business and lets them do as they please, I think this will be for the best and as Much as I would love to see Pixar be their own company, its the way the Corporate world goes.

macnulty
Jan 22, 2006, 08:57 PM
He turned it around for a while but if you'd seen the change of people and the environment--how he sucked the life out of Disney--you'd change your mind about him. So many great people are gone, so much progress is gone. Only plastic people run the company now. If Disney doesn't make a huge change, it will be the most hated company on Earth, ahead of Wal-Mart.

It has been apparent in their output, ironic too. With all the outlets it has to showcase its creations, it ain't got much to showcase.

supergod
Jan 22, 2006, 08:58 PM
Pixar is truly great, but they're nothing in comparison to Studio Ghibli, another film studio distributed by Disney. Howl's Moving Castle was so succesful, one third of Japan's total population saw it. In theatres.

EricNau
Jan 22, 2006, 08:59 PM
This will help Pixar too. Even if Disney doesn't do a single thing in making the movie, the name "Disney" will help it sell.

jouster
Jan 22, 2006, 09:21 PM
This will help Pixar too. Even if Disney doesn't do a single thing in making the movie, the name "Disney" will help it sell.

Disney currently finances and distributes Pixar's movies. Their (Disney's) name and logo already appear before the movie starts.

What will change?

kev0476
Jan 22, 2006, 09:25 PM
This looks good for the itunes video store. Pixar is great though and i hope they are able to keep turning out great movies without disney interfering and changing the plot or something. Otherwise with jobs having 7% of the company he could help turn things around, he did it with apple, although he was the ceo of apple, now he will be just a huge shareholder of disney. You never know what steve jobs can do though.

iAlan
Jan 22, 2006, 09:36 PM
Imagine if apple has access to disney/abc/miramax/beuna vista content and has Tivo software ...Add a couple kids and a disney subscription to get the whole thing started...

OMG - Apple is going to start selling kids!!

Les Kern
Jan 22, 2006, 09:36 PM
Job's first order of business:
Destroy the "It's a Small World After All" ride at Disneyworld.

After that he's on his own.

AidenShaw
Jan 22, 2006, 09:42 PM
If The Steve can do that, it might tip him into the "positive" column in my book!

neonart
Jan 22, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think Steve will use his position wisely to bring new content to the store. Remember when he added the ABC shows he mentioned "I know these guys" or something like that. With shareholder influence he'll be able to get more from Disney, even though he can't just call the shots.

Some I found interesting: ESPN, A&E, History Channel, Lifetime, E!, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Caravan, Buena Vista, etc. Lots of good internet franchises too like NBA.com and NASCAR.com.

As far as Pixar goes... well. I don't know. If the talent stays, they'll make other good films. But at some point they're bound to make a Gigli. This way Disney takes the blame.

Multimedia
Jan 22, 2006, 10:20 PM
I can't think of an "entertainment" company I HATE and FEAR more than Disney. They are pure evil with pure evil intentions toward their prey with the goal of WORLD DOMINATION. My opinion of Disney is 100% cynical. :mad: :( :eek: I think Disney is WAY MORE DANGEROUS then Microshaft. They prey on INNOCENT CHILDREN.

winmacguy
Jan 22, 2006, 10:28 PM

After that he's on his own.
I did that ride all the way back in 1977 as a 7 year old with my family on our world trip. That Space Mountain and and the Haunted House were some of my favourite memories. I went back in 1991 while on my way to summer camp and did a few of the rides again although I think that doing them as a 7 year old for tha first time was the best. :cool:

joeboy_45101
Jan 22, 2006, 10:30 PM

I agree whole-heartedly. Carl Sagan once said, "The unrestrained pursuit of profit poses serious threats to the soul of a nation." I think that this sums up what the merger will be. Disney loses a potential competitor and Pixar loses it's soul. Many people are being so short-sighted about this matter. Steve Jobs and Apple are not going recieve any substantial benefit from this. Disney is not the same company it was 50 or 60 years ago, complacency is rampant now. Is this really the road that Jobs, Lasseter, and Catmull want to take Pixar down?

jrv3034
Jan 22, 2006, 10:40 PM
I can't think of an "entertainment" company I HATE and FEAR more than Disney. They are pure evil with pure evil intentions toward their prey with the goal of WORLD DOMINATION. My opinion of Disney is 100% cynical. :mad: :( :eek: I think Disney is WAY MORE DANGEROUS then Microshaft. They prey on INNOCENT CHILDREN.
A tad extreme, don't you think? Disney isn't evil. Neither is Microsoft. They're just corporations. Do they put out mediocre products? Absolutely. Do they rip out people's eyeballs and force feed them to their kids? No. THAT would be evil.

I'm not saying that there isn't greed and corruption in big corporations. Heck, call ENRON evil, and I'll be the first one to back you up. But Disney is just a company that, at the moment, puts out crap entertainment. Nobody says you MUST GO TO EPCOT OR DIE!!!! There's always Six Flags. ;)

HiRez
Jan 22, 2006, 10:42 PM
It's difficult to believe that the Pixar board members are so greedy as to approve such a transaction. It will likely be the ruin of the company and its employees, as Disney has been doing to itself and its employees.It's pretty incredible, this seems like a much better deal for Disney than for Pixar, keeping Jobs' role out of the equation. It doesn't sound like Disney is offering much of a premium on the stock price anyway, not sure what would possess Pixar to do this.

And I can't see this being that great for Jobs either. 6%-7% is not enough to have a controlling impact on the company like he has with Pixar (assuming he wouldn't become CEO), and he certainly doesn't need the money, so I find this whole thing very strange. I kind of wonder if he's thinking about taking those $billions and starting yet another company with it though. It's been speculated that perhaps Apple would buy an existing music label, or start their own, but perhaps Jobs is thinking about doing this own his own instead of through Apple (thereby avoiding the legal pitfalls with Apple Corps). With the cash he'd get from selling Pixar, plus what he has already, plus the connections he has it seems he could rather easily get the kind of cash to do that himself. I doubt there are very many venture capitalists in the world who wouldn't take a call from Jobs.

EricNau
Jan 22, 2006, 10:47 PM
Disney currently finances and distributes Pixar's movies. Their (Disney's) name and logo already appear before the movie starts.

What will change?
The movies you are thinking about were made under the Disney/Pixar contract. (Even though Disney and Pixar have been "separated" for while, a lot of movies were started and therefore had to be finished under the contract.)

winmacguy
Jan 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
PS. Has anyone every thought of it as funny that we Mac people feel comfortable calling Steve Jobs by his first name? :p
Not as funny as thinking of Apple as 'our' little company and then hearing about Apple as a 70 billion dollar corporate giant ;)

Now with regards to the Pixar Disney deal, one would assume that Steve ;) being the 'details' kinda guy that he is you would have to assume that he is in this deal with upper hand and will be negotiating to come up with an arrangement that works in his favour with regards to boardroom meetings and his voting capacity with regards to the rest of the board of directors. He knows exactly what sort of deal he wants and what Steve Jobs wants Steve Jobs gets. All I can say is that in the lang run I am sure that the deal will greatly benefit both Apple, Pixar and Disney, and Steve :)

joeboy_45101
Jan 22, 2006, 11:03 PM
NO NO NO! :eek: That brings back memories of Six Flags with this big group of scary Christian people that had shirts that said "Ask about your free trip," and basically harassed my one of my agnostic friends and one of my Jewish friends. Also, let's explain the shirt:
My friend Marshall, being daring and sort of joking: So, what about that free trip?
Church person, in arrogant tone: It's to heaven.
Yeah. Scary scary. I so prefer Disney. I was there during gay week. Gay people = generally more pleasant that evangelical, obbsessed, arrogant "Christians";)
No, but whatever religion you are is fine. Harassing people and being rude is not.

Now, I'm interested. How did they harass your friends? Spill the hot juicy gossip!

nostaws
Jan 22, 2006, 11:05 PM
good for disney, questionable for pixar.

My fear would be that Jobs is appointed CEO of Disney, then Apple takes a back seat. Apple is forced to find a new CEO, and then in an effort to be "retro" the new CEO introduces the "new" Macintosh LC II, with the tagline "if you liked the original..."

Without Jobs, Apple has proven it can create and release some real crap.

Aeolius
Jan 22, 2006, 11:13 PM
We're becoming Republicans.:(

What do you mean "becoming"? :D Everyone knows that you have to be a Republican to afford Apple products! ::ducking::

Seriously though, try thinking outside the box for a moment. I've been an Apple user since 1979 and consider myself a Tree-Hugging Money-Loving Pagan Republican.

And yes, I can stomach "Small World". I went to college in Winter Park; not too far from Disney. I'd meet with local AL:PE buddies and drink Blue Hawaiians in the Tambu Lounge.

steebu
Jan 22, 2006, 11:15 PM
Way to go Steve!

amateurmacfreak
Jan 22, 2006, 11:18 PM
Now, I'm interested. How did they harass your friends? Spill the hot juicy gossip!
Haha, maybe harassed is too strong a word but.... they sort of singled them out and they told him that they were going to burn in Hell forever if they didn't accept Jesus Christ as their savior. They told them that they were damned sinners, basically, and were supposedly quite horrid about it.
I actually wasn't there when the harassment (if that's the right word) happened (I was sick at the moment because of some awful crap pizza), but my friends almost reported it to the park.... and one of them seriously said they'll never go back there.
Oh, suprise suprise, it was in the evolved state of KY.

amateurmacfreak
Jan 22, 2006, 11:19 PM
What do you mean "becoming"? :D Everyone knows that you have to be a Republican to afford Apple products! ::ducking::

Seriously though, try thinking outside the box for a moment. I've been an Apple user since 1979 and consider myself a Tree-Hugging Money-Loving Pagan Republican.

XDDDDDD to the first part.
To the second part: You are sure an interesting little person. :eek: :D

Aeolius
Jan 22, 2006, 11:26 PM
You are sure an interesting little person.

"He used....SARCASM!!!" ;)

EricNau
Jan 22, 2006, 11:54 PM
good for disney, questionable for pixar.

My fear would be that Jobs is appointed CEO of Disney, then Apple takes a back seat. Apple is forced to find a new CEO, and then in an effort to be "retro" the new CEO introduces the "new" Macintosh LC II, with the tagline "if you liked the original..."

Without Jobs, Apple has proven it can create and release some real crap.
I don't think Steve Jobs could do that. Apple is the company that he started, he couldn't just throw it in the back seat.

JoeG4
Jan 22, 2006, 11:54 PM
Does this mean he'll get the morons at Hearst to stop being morons and charge echostar the same (or maybe less) than before for their crappy Lifetime channel? :cool:

neutrino23
Jan 22, 2006, 11:58 PM
This has some real potential.

As stated above, Steve is a great negotiator and he went into the negotiations with a strong hand. We haven't heard the details yet. How would you like to sit across the table from him and get a full blast of the RDF, one on one, unfiltered!

It seems to me that Disney has been rudderless or aimless the last decade or more. The kitchzy theme parks are tiresome. When was the last time Disney did something bold? 1955? And yet, they have a huge potential. They have an enormous ongoing business with tons of cash and great presence in the market.

If Steve could somehow inject some of his visions into their sales/marketing/engineering machinery it could be the spark that will propel Disney into the 21st century.

Of course it could all fall apart. Disney people could dig in their heels and obstinately refuse to go along with Steve's ideas. Horrible shouting matches would ensue. Nothing would get done. More stagnation at Disney.

And what of Apple? What indeed! I haven't thought through that one yet.

iQuit
Jan 23, 2006, 12:13 AM
One day Apple will own the WORLD. :)

pgwalsh
Jan 23, 2006, 12:21 AM
Nice exit strategy for Pixar shareholders. Jobs will be on the board of Disney, hopefully that'll help Apple as well.

bousozoku
Jan 23, 2006, 12:26 AM
It has been apparent in their output, ironic too. With all the outlets it has to showcase its creations, it ain't got much to showcase.

I remember the happy family that Disney used to be and watched it change to a business where people hated going to work. (No one should hate working at the "happiest place on Earth.") I'd hate to see Pixar follow in those footsteps.

notkevin
Jan 23, 2006, 12:52 AM
Does this mean Disney will keep all their movies secret until their premiere? MacWorld: Disneyland?

autrefois
Jan 23, 2006, 12:54 AM
And Jobs' "personality" will be better?

Think of Disney board meetings - is it even possible to put "Jobs" and.

"consensus" in the same sentence?

(I was afraid to try....)

:D Good point. With only a 6-7 % share of the company, it would be interesting to see how frustrated he gets when things aren't done the way he likes all the time.

:D You've got a point there, what doesn't Steve Jobs do these days? Although since Paramount Pictures are the ones who did Forrest Gump, you'd probably not be allowed to make that comparison. :)

I dislike Disney for reasons I will not state because they would be attacked. (I know because I've tried before on this forum!) All I will say is that Pixar is doing just fine as it is, and I don't think their quality would go up any once they are part of Disney.

It is true that if this takeover indirectly brings more Disney content onto iTunes, I'm sure most people will be happy. In my book, that's about the only positive, although I'm sure others disagree.

balamw
Jan 23, 2006, 12:59 AM
also, as per the person who said eisner diluted disneys profits......he revived disney in the late 80s and 90s. and only recently has he come under fire until his departure
I think you're referring to my comment. I wasn't talking about profits or share price.

Eisner did a good job in turning Disney around as a business, but in the process he absolutely did dilute the Disney brand's value. He also created (or bought) a bunch of new brands that are currently part of the Disney empire that may be of value or not. (Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, ABC, ESPN, ...)

This is the same kind of brand dilution that occurred during the dark Jobs-less days at Apple.

I would hope that as part of the buyout, Pixar would remain a separate brand i.e. their movies would continue to be marketed as Disney-Pixar and not just Disney.

B

X-Baz
Jan 23, 2006, 02:48 AM
Well I'll be sad if this will be the end of Pixar as we know it. Pixar has such a great personality and it's kind of depressing to know that Disney will own it. :( it's almost as bad as Microsoft buying Apple. Eesh

SJ runs Pixar differently to Apple - at Apple he is hands on with the final say on everything. At Pixar he leaves the creative work to John Lassiter, who was there before Jobs bought the company - I don't see why this deal should change any of that.

Epicurus
Jan 23, 2006, 03:15 AM
If Jobs does follow Pixar into the Disney Empire, the least he could do is keep Pixar from languishing under the oppressive Disney corporate bureaucracy.

Most likely, Jobs will work within the folds of Disney as he did when Apple first got incorporated. He'll take over some of the smaller projects within the company where he can have full control. He'll probably remain the interior head of the Pixar division, guiding it as it grows to take advantage of Disney's various outlets.

With Disney's assets spread out so far and wide, the company really lacks any sort of unified leadership. With a 6-7% stake, even Jobs might not be up to the task of righting the ship... Then again, there is that RDF to consider.

Short term perks might include being able to mandate that the Disney Empire must use Apple computers from now on. Can you imagine how many computers are used within the whole of Disney?? The theme parks, the movie studios, the television channels, the radio stations, the corporate offices, ...; the list goes on and on. That ought to give a nice boost to Apple's share of the computer market!

HiRez
Jan 23, 2006, 03:27 AM
If Jobs does follow Pixar into the Disney Empire, the least he could do is keep Pixar from languishing under the oppressive Disney corporate bureaucracy.I admit the possibilities are intriguing...if he can gain enough control. By becoming CEO or more likely Chairman of the Board, his prospects are decent, but a 7% stake in shares alone does not buy you total control (which I believe is what Jobs needs to work his magic). I said I was mainly against this deal (mostly for Pixar's sake), but if the higher-ups at Disney have to guts to just step aside and give him free rein, it could be a lot of fun to watch. Disney could own the world or flame out in a smoldering crater of destruction, but either way, it'd be great entertainment.

Short term perks might include being able to mandate that the Disney Empire must use Apple computers from now on.It's possible, but I understand Jobs has handled Pixar with a light touch where that is concerned, mostly giving the Pixar people freedom to choose the best computers for each job. That said, there's no doubt that there are a heck of a lot more Macs now at Pixar than there were a few years ago, although the maturation of OS X has a lot to do with that.

HiRez
Jan 23, 2006, 03:37 AM
Here is another article (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jan2006/nf20060117_1937_db035.htm?campaign_id=search) on a potential Disney-Pixar deal.

dernhelm
Jan 23, 2006, 04:46 AM
This whole thing is very interesting, but I don't get where anyone thinks SJ will still be running things after all is said and done. He'll own a bunch of Disney stock, but no where near enough to call any shots. It's more likely that he is going to simply turn over his reins to someone at Disney and bow out (over the course of several months, maybe even a year, of course).

Don't cry for Pixar or anyone there, they will all make a serious hunk of cash when it is all said and done.

iAlan
Jan 23, 2006, 05:23 AM
One day Apple will own the WORLD. :)

and it is 'A Small World' afterall!

HiRez
Jan 23, 2006, 05:37 AM
Don't cry for Pixar or anyone there, they will all make a serious hunk of cash when it is all said and done.I'm not crying for Pixar, I'm crying for us...the consumers and movielovers who have to watch Disney slowly leech the life and creativity out of Pixar. Oh sure, you laugh now, but wait until six years from now when you're watching Toy Story 8: So Very Tired on cable tv.

kev0476
Jan 23, 2006, 07:20 AM
I think Steve will use his position wisely to bring new content to the store. Remember when he added the ABC shows he mentioned "I know these guys" or something like that.

Yeah like larry h miller. They say in the commercials "after all you know this guy." and now he pulled brokeback mountain.

Dagless
Jan 23, 2006, 07:38 AM
I dunno, I'm not fussed really. I haven't seen a good pixar film since Toy Story 1.

dernhelm
Jan 23, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'm not crying for Pixar, I'm crying for us...the consumers and movielovers who have to watch Disney slowly leech the life and creativity out of Pixar. Oh sure, you laugh now, but wait until six years from now when you're watching Toy Story 8: So Very Tired on cable tv.

There's a simple answer to that. Change the channel. Or better yet turn the TV off, leave the house and meet people. Honestly, if your life is over because Disney forces Pixar to make lame movies, you need to find something else to spend your energy on. VERB it's what you DO.

:D

Yebot
Jan 23, 2006, 08:22 AM
This is simple.

Outside of Disney’s far-reaching media holdings, the one thing that they are best known for is making animated movies. You may have noticed that Disney’s recent animated movies have been steaming piles of crap while Pixar has consistently delivered movies that are successful.

One could assume that Disney’s new CEO Robert Iger is a smart person (even if you somehow equate Disney as the ‘republican’ media company. WTF?) I would assume that Disney would like to merge with this company to take advantage of what Pixar is doing to make such successful animated movies – not to exert the current Disney method of crap-making on Pixar.

Yebot
Jan 23, 2006, 08:25 AM
Short term perks might include being able to mandate that the Disney Empire must use Apple computers from now on.

Disney is buying Pixar, not Apple. Its about movies, not IT resources.

mixgrafix
Jan 23, 2006, 08:39 AM
I am sure if someone offered me BILLIONS of DOLLARS for my company, I would do the same thing. (I am taking offers for mine.) And as far as the political bullcrap, you really need to chill. Corporations are evil. (I know, I own one.) Politicians are evil. (I know, I am one.) And the truest evil are the lobbyists in Washington (I know, I know some.), and the drug companies. Eh enough of the rant.

Apple Frickin Rules, and I cant wait for the MacBook to come out.

aprilfools
Jan 23, 2006, 08:44 AM
dull little box's are going to get even duller if this happens :)

freeny
Jan 23, 2006, 08:49 AM
Wow! this could make Steve Jobs my new boss. Perhaps the rest of my department at ESPN will switch over to macs....

Perhaps even free iPods as Christmas gifts? Oh the possibilities....

Super Dave
Jan 23, 2006, 08:50 AM

A lot.

They own Mirimax. I wouldn't mind some Quentin Tarantino movies on my computer…if I didn't already own all of them on DVD. ;)

David:cool:

eric_n_dfw
Jan 23, 2006, 08:57 AM
Anybody notice the bottom of that?.... Disney has money invested in TiVo...... hmmmmmmm....
Yeah - that was the most interesting one to me as well.

TheMasin9
Jan 23, 2006, 09:19 AM
yeah, when disney gets in pixars way or tries to interfere in pixars affairs in other ways, all should be good.

oldaaplexec
Jan 23, 2006, 09:25 AM
Follow me on this…Pixar knows “Cars” is going to tank. Yes, it will not do well. So, they’re trying to make money now, while they still can.

~Shard~
Jan 23, 2006, 09:47 AM
Guess I'm a bit late to this, but nonetheless, very interesting news! I hope if this does indeed come to fruition that Jobs will not be too overwhelmed and as a result not have as much time to focus on his much-important Apple duties. ;) :cool:

emulator
Jan 23, 2006, 10:33 AM
This will help Pixar too. Even if Disney doesn't do a single thing in making the movie, the name "Disney" will help it sell.With the type of films Pixar make, their Pixar name sounds MUCH better than Disney. I just hope if it is really over for Pixar from the creative point of view, the talented animators will leave and be picked up by Dreamworks or even Fox.

freeny
Jan 23, 2006, 10:36 AM
Follow me on this…Pixar knows “Cars” is going to tank. Yes, it will not do well. So, they’re trying to make money now, while they still can.
And this opinion comes from where? Based on a few "preliminary coming attractions"?
Did you ever see the early previews of the Incredibles?:eek:

Im gonna stick with Pixars track record on this one...:rolleyes:

balamw
Jan 23, 2006, 11:45 AM
the talented animators will leave and be picked up by Dreamworks or even Fox.

You mean PDI and Blue Sky, right? ;)

OK, So PDI (http://www.pdi.com) is now officially Dreamworks Animation, and Blue Sky (http://www.blueskystudios.com) is wholly owned by Fox, but they are not their parent companies. Just like I hope that Pixar will become a divison and brand of Disney that preserves much of what made it successful in the first place.

B

Fiveos22
Jan 23, 2006, 11:58 AM

Take it easy ol' boy. There is a politics forum, and this is not it. Furthermore, Jobs is a businessman...hell, I'd say first and foremost a businessman. Being able to work with and through other people is much more important to being in business than ideological squabbles. Call me an old-fashioned conservative, but compromise is what makes the world turn.

morespce54
Jan 23, 2006, 12:05 PM
...This dual role made Sony more interested in DRM than in useable digital devices-- the Sony digital music players didn't even play MP3s until last year...

exactly what I worry about... :confused:

Peace
Jan 23, 2006, 01:50 PM
From what I've been reading from industry analyst this buy-out is going to make Jobs tote the fine line between stockholder and conflict of interest.It will be interesting to see whether or not he even takes a seat on Disney's board.

yellow
Jan 23, 2006, 01:53 PM
Wow, nice windfall Steve! Congrats!

Now.. $40 billion to go to catch up with Bill? :)

tote the fine line

I think you mean "toe the [fine] line"?

Peace
Jan 23, 2006, 02:09 PM
Wow, nice windfall Steve! Congrats!

Now.. $40 billion to go to catch up with Bill? :)

I think you mean "toe the [fine] line"?

Actually I was referring to one "carrying" said line so "tote" was the correct word.:D

kalisphoenix
Jan 23, 2006, 02:54 PM

Amusingly true. Can anyone photoshop Steve Jobs sitting on the bench?

Peace
Jan 23, 2006, 03:33 PM
Amusingly true. Can anyone photoshop Steve Jobs sitting on the bench?

No need.just watch the movie..In it Forest's partner invested in Apple and made Forest rich! :p

JGowan
Jan 23, 2006, 03:35 PM
Apple will always be SJ's passion. He'll still be in charge of Pixar but now, he'll be able to work all types of content to sell from Disney. Certainly exclusively in the digital download realm. This is simply setting up Apple to win on the iTunes/iPod Front.

hulugu
Jan 23, 2006, 04:44 PM
...Seriously though, try thinking outside the box for a moment. I've been an Apple user since 1979 and consider myself a Tree-Hugging Money-Loving Pagan Republican.

This sentence is either the smartest thing I've read today, or you're completely insane. I just can't decide which it is.

I think you made my brain crash.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 23, 2006, 05:18 PM
This was on MSNBC.com...
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/Mag/060130_Issue/060121_JobsPixar_vl.widec.jpg

LethalWolfe
Jan 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
The main problem I see with this is that Steve has just put himself in the same position as Sony-- he's a content owner and a digital device maker. As we have seen, This dual role made Sony more interested in DRM than in useable digital devices-- the Sony digital music players didn't even play MP3s until last year. Obviously, Steve is aware of this issue; I just hope that his new position doesn't color his judgment-- read my signature.

This is really nothing like Sony. The different divisions in Sony are so large they might as well be different companies. Because of circumstances and shifts in technology parts of Sony ended up at odds w/each other and that started off a bunch of internal politicking that's hampered Sony.

IMO, if Jobs does really gets involved at Disney it will be to secure content for current and future Apple products/devices. Jobs can't blind side himself (unless he goes Jeckyl & Hyde or something ;)).

For everyone that is throwing a fit about this possibility I can't imagine what y'all woulda said if you were around when Jobs made the deal w/Gates years ago. IMHO Steve Jobs and Apple is the consumers best bet to have content distribution via the internet done right. I can't think of another major player in this field (record studios, movie studios, MS, Sony, giant media conglomerates, etc.,.) that would be more customer friendly in it's approach than Apple. And right now Jobs has enough clout that the other major players really have no choice but to pay attention to him.

Some things Jobs has done at Apple since he regained the reigns:
1. Helped pull the company from the brink
1a. Hepled make the company a major player again.
2. iMac
3. iPods (which many people originally wrote off as worthless)
4. iTunes/iTMS
4a. Cable & Network TV shows via iTMS
5. First rate consumer software
6. First rate professional software

Personally, I think he's got a pretty good track record and until he really screws something up I'm gonna give the dude the benefit of the doubt. I think he's earned it.

Lethal

kalisphoenix
Jan 23, 2006, 05:45 PM
Call me an old-fashioned conservative, but compromise is what makes the world turn.

If that's what you believe, I certainly won't be calling you an old-fashioned conservative. The central belief of every conservative I've met has been that every moral issue is at the untenably narrow peak of an extremely slippery slope. Hence, you know, the term "conservative."

danielwsmithee
Jan 23, 2006, 06:06 PM
If that's what you believe, I certainly won't be calling you an old-fashioned conservative. The central belief of every conservative I've met has been that every moral issue is at the untenably narrow peak of an extremely slippery slope. Hence, you know, the term "conservative."

If that is what you think then you don't get talk to enough people who call themselves conservative. Just like some conservatives think all liberals are by nature communists. There are extremes on both sides of the political spectrum; they just seem to be louder then the majority in the center.

bketchum
Jan 23, 2006, 06:34 PM

I think they own a world and some land.

bketchum
Jan 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Peace

Did you see at the bottom, Disney appears to be a partial owner of Tivo.

PlaceofDis
Jan 23, 2006, 06:42 PM

yeah its been mentioned several times already in the thread. :rolleyes:

any word on how things are progressing? is it official yet? or still up in the air?

HiRez
Jan 23, 2006, 06:48 PM
I think they own a world and some land.They do...Pluto! (although now they're saying Pluto is not even a planet (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/rose_pluto_010126.html)...bleh.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
hmmm... Disney..... Steve jobs..... Tivo... Mac Mini Media Center....hmmmm....
ok, just kidding there.

bketchum
Jan 23, 2006, 07:01 PM

That's too funny.

winmacguy
Jan 23, 2006, 07:37 PM
Here is another article (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jan2006/nf20060117_1937_db035.htm?campaign_id=search) on a potential Disney-Pixar deal.
I posted that article last week. :rolleyes:

No need.just watch the movie..In it Forest's partner invested in Apple and made Forest rich! :p
Here is the answer to the equation that everybody on this forum seems to be mulling over
Disney = Extensive library of old films, content, huge distribution network (TV stations etc), Disney brand name.
Pixar = Terrific CGI flicks and creative content producers but no control of distribution channel, creative brand name association
Apple = Hardware provider, access to content through music store, growing customerbase, market leader for new ideas
Steve Jobs = RDF, Owns Pixar, CEO of Apple, Board member of Disney with voting rights

The competition
Rupert Murdoch and the Fox network who are heavily investing in websites and distribution of content via the internet
Google = Mindshare for content search on the web
Microsoft = Proposed new OS called Vista, MS Home Media Centre with TV tuner but lacking downloadable content.

The answer
Steve Jobs moves to allocate and enable Disney and Disney owned network stations entire librarys of current and older content to be available through the music store as well as seemlessly distributing all movies made by Pixar through Disneys distribution networks as well as online while Apple continues to develop the video capable iPod and Front Row across its range of hardware now running on Intel chips and he aces the entire market in the process while encouraging Fox to come onboard with their range of shows.

atomwork
Jan 23, 2006, 08:14 PM
Go Steve,

you deserve it!!!

Dave

paulchen
Jan 23, 2006, 08:40 PM
Sorry for my english...
I would prefer that steve tells me why my imac 20 hasn't been send yet.
I'm waiting now for 7 days and they haven't even send it!!!
Normaly it would be send after 3 days. The guy at the hotline told me that they have some problems so everthing is delayed. I thinks it's the fault of intel, but I don't know it. I hope that tomorrow I'll recieve a mail of apple's consumer section. I can't understand that they write '3 days' on the site on apple's luxembourgish shop and nothing happens.
:mad:

phgreer
Jan 23, 2006, 09:17 PM
Today is almost over with. When are we going to find out anything? :confused:

I'm surprised I haven't seen a lot more buzz on this on the Internet. :confused:

AidenShaw
Jan 23, 2006, 10:55 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen a lot more buzz on this on the Internet. :confused:
Maybe it's just not that big of a story?

And maybe because not that many people really care if a big cartoon company buys a small cartoon company?

nagromme
Jan 24, 2006, 12:01 AM
That would be a Yes (assuming Pixar's board also approves):

http://businessweek.com/

Well at least it's not a boring year :) This can't be bad for Apple getting movie content when iTunes goes that direction.

nagromme
Jan 24, 2006, 12:09 AM
Maybe it's just not that big of a story?
Well, Disney is a big and popular company, and this is big news for Disney.

Throw in the Apple connection and the implications could be even bigger.

I too am surprised how many of the sites I visit have been quiet on this.

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 12:24 AM
That would be a Yes (assuming Pixar's board also approves):

http://businessweek.com/

Well at least it's not a boring year :) This can't be bad for Apple getting movie content when iTunes goes that direction.

From that article :
Additional specifics about the deal aren't yet clear. As of late Jan. 23, the agreement still had to be approved by Pixar's board of directors, the sources say. Disney's board approved the transaction with the expectation that it could be announced on Jan. 24............

An immediate announcement of the deal was held up so that Jobs and Pixar top officials could personally tell Pixar executives, presumably on the morning before the announcement was made public. A Disney spokeswoman declined to comment beyond denying that a deal had been reached.

Looks like an opening bell story!!

Great way to kick up Apple and Disney stock..

stuBCN75
Jan 24, 2006, 05:16 AM
According to the BBC ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4642116.stm

Until an official public offer is actually made then I suppose it is not really big news but just speculation.

I think it could be a good thing for Pixar to have such serious backing. As long as they are allowed to continue to function in their own creative way it should all be fine. I suspect they will still operate under the Pixar brand. Steve Jobs on the Disney board could be a good thing for Pixar and Apple.

Business is business, the big fish always ending up eating the little fish.

Sdashiki
Jan 24, 2006, 09:40 AM
I heard its a bid of $7bn and that Jobs would be the #1 shareholder, but the way the article was worded I wasnt sure if that meant #1 of Pixar or of Disney.

I dont think jobs will go for it, maybe he will sell Pixar but I dont think he wants to be on Disney's board.

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 09:43 AM
I heard its a bid of $7bn and that Jobs would be the #1 shareholder, but the way the article was worded I wasnt sure if that meant #1 of Pixar or of Disney.

I dont think jobs will go for it, maybe he will sell Pixar but I dont think he wants to be on Disney's board.

He's already the #1 shareholder of Pixar.The article means he would be the #1 shareholder of Disney..

legacyb4
Jan 24, 2006, 12:02 PM
Wonder what will happen to Pixar shareholders with Pixar stock roughly double in value that of Disney...?

Bonte
Jan 24, 2006, 12:05 PM
"Song downloading appears to be taking over, with 14 percent of active internet traffic now dedicated to Apple's iTunes store"
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/24/apple.in.living.room/

Now i'm wondering, if iTunes takes up 14% of total internet traffic what will a HD video store take? Is the current network capable of supporting a videostore as popular as iTunes?

revjay
Jan 24, 2006, 12:18 PM
Dawn C. Chmielewski of the L.A. Times writes:

"Like Walt Disney in his day, the 50-year-old Jobs is a perfectionist known to fuss over the number of buttons on a computer mouse. Jobs is a college dropout; Disney never finished high school. And with Pixar's mastery of computer-generated movies such as "The Incredibles," Jobs has taken the animation that Disney first popularized in the 1930s and not just re-energized it but made it box-office gold."

Check out the whole article... http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-fi-jobs23jan23,1,2180131.story

Some interesting content that might help us see the possibility of this deal actually taking place.

OnTheBandwagon
Jan 24, 2006, 02:43 PM
Just an update, Variety is reporting that Disney will anounce the deal "as early as today." The article repeats the same details, 59 dollars a share, Jobs to get a seat on Disney's Board etc.

It also mentions that Lasseter is expected to lead this new operation.

sfwalter
Jan 24, 2006, 03:23 PM
Its official! http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060124/20060124006101.html?.v=1

Looks like each Pixar share gets 2.3 shares of Walt Disney.

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 03:33 PM
Its official! http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060124/20060124006101.html?.v=1

Looks like each Pixar share gets 2.3 shares of Walt Disney.

Investor Conference Call:

An investor conference call will take place at approximately 2:15 p.m. PT / 5:15 p.m. ET today, January 24, 2006. To listen to the Webcast, turn your browser to www.disney.com/investors/presentations or http://corporate.pixar.com.

Nicken
Jan 24, 2006, 03:42 PM
Steve Jobs will be live on CNBC within 10 minutes giving comments on the sale of pixar.

Aeolius
Jan 24, 2006, 03:42 PM
the news is on cnn.com, as well

moooosedude
Jan 24, 2006, 03:46 PM
i cant wait to see what the first disney animation is going to be with pixar as part of disney.....and it better be available on itunes :)

CubaTBird
Jan 24, 2006, 03:53 PM
:eek:

MovieCutter
Jan 26, 2006, 12:38 PM
i cant wait to see what the first disney animation is going to be with pixar as part of disney.....and it better be available on itunes :)

Hopefully one of Wonder Boy John Lasseter's first move as cretive director is to GET RID OF DIRECT TO VIDEO ANIMATION!!! And his second move is to bring back animation jobs to the U.S.. One of Disney's biggest problem in the animation department is over-saturation. Too many videos, television shows, and the crappy animation has leaked into its feature film department. The animation department needs to take all its energy and throw it into features. I remember the days of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. The animation was superb, the quality was top-notch. These days, every feature looks like it should be in saturday morning cartoons....cmon Lasseter, don't let me down!!!

neonart
Jan 26, 2006, 05:45 PM
Hopefully one of Wonder Boy John Lasseter's first move as cretive director is to GET RID OF DIRECT TO VIDEO ANIMATION!!! And his second move is to bring back animation jobs to the U.S.. One of Disney's biggest problem in the animation department is over-saturation. Too many videos, television shows, and the crappy animation has leaked into its feature film department. The animation department needs to take all its energy and throw it into features. I remember the days of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. The animation was superb, the quality was top-notch. These days, every feature looks like it should be in saturday morning cartoons....cmon Lasseter, don't let me down!!!

You got that right! I was blown away by The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. Aladdin was ok to me, and then the feces hit the ceiling fan. What are we on now, The Lion King 6: Simba's Retirement on DVD? Pffft.
Pixar has made nothing but hits that take 2 years to produce, but have all the prestige of a true Hollywood Blockbuster. Let's hope the good rubs off.

LethalWolfe
Jan 26, 2006, 05:51 PM

$20 says Disney makes bank on it's direct-to-video titles so I doubt we'll see them disappear. But that doesn't mean the animation can't improve in the theatrical releases. Just have the "A Level" guys do theatrical and the "B Level" guys do direct-to-video.

Lethal

Multimedia
May 11, 2006, 12:28 PM
It HAPPENED LAST Friday May 5 and it turned out to be over $4 Billion not $3.5 Billion. His total is now over $4.4 Billion ranking 140 among Billionaires along with former Disney mogul David Geffin. Oh the irony. :eek:

Oprah is only $1.4 Billion ranking 562.
Trump is only $2.6 Billion ranking 278.
Ralph Lauren is only $3.6 Billion ranking 185.

G wizz
May 11, 2006, 04:23 PM
I here Disney has distanced itself from offering free toys with every Macdonalds as it doesnt want to associate themselves with obesse children. Now SJ is going to be a big part of Disney, can we now expect a free "Mac" Mini with every Large BIG MAC Meal. Boom Boom.:D :D

Multimedia
May 12, 2006, 02:11 AM
I here Disney has distanced itself from offering free toys with every Macdonalds as it doesnt want to associate themselves with obesse children. Now SJ is going to be a big part of Disney, can we now expect a free "Mac" Mini with every Large BIG MAC Meal. Boom Boom.:D :DNever. Steve is vegan vegetarian. Wouldn't be surprised if the disconnect from McDonalds by Disney wasn't his idea. :)

balamw
May 12, 2006, 02:35 AM
Never. Steve is vegan vegetarian. Wouldn't be surprised if the disconnect from McDonalds by Disney wasn't his idea. :)
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=192

1) Steve eats fish and is not currently a vegan or vegetarian but is a pescatarian
2) The timing soes seem to suggest a connection, although the Cars and Pirates of the Caribbean toys will still go on this summer.

B