Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Hi all,

My daughter forgot the pin on her iPad, so she locked herself out completely. She got the 'iPad is disabled" error, with no way to unlock it. OK, no problem, this isn't the first time this has happened.

I plug it into iTunes, wipe the thing, unplug it, then go into Settings to "Erase all Content and Settings" on the iPad so I can restore the device's iCloud backup. Well.. the problem is, the iPad must have backed up while it was disabled, because when I restore the iPad's iCloud backup, the iPad is disabled again.

Does anyone have any ideas? She will be crushed if she lost all her pictures. Thanks!

RichP74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Just to follow up - I hit "show more backups" when doing the iCloud restore, and was able to find one that had been performed pre-lock. So she's back in business!

RichP74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
And no doubt a big sigh of relief for you.

Perhaps you can convince her to write down her pin # and either give it to you for safekeeping or place it in a safe location she'll remember? :)

Well, I told her if she forgets it again she's going to lose her iPad for a week, so she has extra motivation to either a) not lock it, or b) be very careful with her passcode. The funny part is she actually thinks her brother cares what she posts on Instagram, and is the whole reason for locking it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.