Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xadin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Are there issues with compatibility between accessories for the fourth gen ipod and connecting them to a third gen? My comp doesn't recognize the 3rd gen iPod when I connect it using a USB cable for a 4th gen iPod.

If there are compatibility problems between these two accessories, do I have any optinos to updating my 3rd gen ipod, other than buying a USB cable for a 3rd gen?

Thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmmm, I don't think there's any difference between the cables. There's some funny business going on if your iPod isn't being recognized over USB. Dock connector accessories are supposed to be interchangeable, and the 3rd gen supports USB, so you shouldn't have this issue....

Have you checked to make sure you're using the latest iPod software (i.e. use the iPod software updater to update the software on the iPod?)

By fourth generation, also, you mean clickwheel iPod, right? Just checking, since sometimes people mean something different. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.