Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
for a while now i have been thinking of a good way of adding a journal page to my website.

i still havent figured it out.

heres what i want to do... i want to create a journal page on my website using the existing layout (one ive created)... i want to be able to go online somewhere and type in my journal entry... and after i post it ... it be mirrored (updated) onto my journal page somehow. i want to know if this is possible. i want to try to eliminate having to rewrite the html for the journal on my puter and uploading to my site...etc. etc. (i know how to do this by using dreamweaver). or is there a better way? help me out if possible.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by MacBandit
Just being honest. I've not had any desire to keep a log or journal of any kind in my entire life but it doesn't mean I don't know about these things. I just don't know how to implement it.

nah its cool... i know what you mean.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Kross, since the last time you asked, I've moved my web journal over to Movable Type (movabletype.org). It does exactly what you're describing, although it can be a bit of an annoyance to set up the templates if you don't know/use CSS. At any rate, I've gotten to be quite handy with it, and if you decide to use it, let me know and I'd be happy to help you set it up.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by cleo
Kross, since the last time you asked, I've moved my web journal over to Movable Type (movabletype.org). It does exactly what you're describing, although it can be a bit of an annoyance to set up the templates if you don't know/use CSS. At any rate, I've gotten to be quite handy with it, and if you decide to use it, let me know and I'd be happy to help you set it up.

alright... really it does exactly what im looking for?!! cool. yeah ill seriously look into that... and ill give you a holler for some help/questions... etc. thanks a lot for you help thus far.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
im not sure.. hmmm

i looked at the sample sites that use this and all of them have thier main page using movable type. i just want a certain page on my website to use it... not all the pages. i think it should work but im trying to figure it out.

i mean i assume its the same thing as when i used something online for creating a "sign my guest book" kinda thing... dont have it anymore.
something called webtools or something. im assuming now... not sure.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
It is free, if you install it on your server yourself (which can range from blissfully simple to absolute hell), or you can pay them to install it on the server for you. I had no trouble doing it myself. Also, once you've got it up and running, you can choose to donate $20 and in return get a key that pings the movabletype.org site when you update your journal. But it can be totally free, if you want.

In terms of flexibility, you basically can do anything you want. Archives, complete HTML control, comments, whatever. I have mine set up as a pretty standard blog, but I've seen people do some really creative stuff with it, too. You can post from the web or from a third party app (I use KungLog), and they have these cool things called bookmarklets that are basically javascript bookmarks that you click when you want to blog about a site you're currently on and it opens a new window with the url already linked. Pretty cool stuff, I have to say!

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Originally posted by krossfyter
im not sure.. hmmm

i looked at the sample sites that use this and all of them have thier main page using movable type. i just want a certain page on my website to use it... not all the pages. i think it should work but im trying to figure it out.

That's not a problem at all... by default it publishes to index.htm, but it's just a matter of typing in another file name.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Or write your own.

Do what I did, and write your own. Its simple. Create a table in a database with a few fields, like date/time, Title, Entry, and Posted By, then write a simple script to select the desired records from the database, and display the output. This can easily be done with PHP and MySQL, and if anyone is interested, I can show them how.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.