Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reese2147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Hi everyone...

Earlier today, I wrote an email from my iCloud.com email account via the iCloud web interface on a PC. Later in the day, I responded to the same thread via the mail app on my iMac.

So when I open up my mail on my iPhone, there are two separate email threads for the same message.... with the second one starting when I emailed from my iMac via the mail app in osx.

Also, it seems like anytime I reply to a message on the icloud.com mail, it creates a new thread within the ios mail app, even though its all part of the same email string.

Any ideas?

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I tested this and verified the same behavior.

The icloud.com email web interface does not thread messages. Which is ridiculous in this day and age. There is definitely a lack of consistency between presentation of emails on iOS, Mac and web. Threading is just one example. Another is filters - which are extremely limited on icloud.com - you can only delete or move messages. This lacks the functionality of OS X Mail, and certainly iOS. Coloring of flags, messages, etc., are all out of whack. The general look of the web interface also seems to be a cross between the iPad's look, and OS X Mail. True integration means I see the same thing (within the limitations of the web), whether on the web, or an Apple client.

There is MUCH work to be done. Steve Jobs said during his 2011 keynote, months before his death, that they create products they want to also use. How many Apple employees rely on, love and are fans, of iCloud email? Rhetorical question, but I bet under 10%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.