Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

new_flashlogo_3.jpg
Apple today posted an updated support document noting that it is now blocking older version of the Adobe's Flash Player plug-in due to a major security issue present in older versions.

In a posting to its security mailing list, Apple notes that users must upgrade to the latest 14.0.0.145 version of Flash Player if possible. For those users running systems incompatible with Flash Player 14, Adobe has made available a 13.0.0.231 update that addresses the security issues.
APPLE-SA-2014-07-10-1 OS X: Flash Player plug-in blocked

Due to security issues in older versions, Apple has updated the web plug-in blocking mechanism to disable all versions prior to Flash Player 14.0.0.145 and 13.0.0.231.
The high-priority update was released by Adobe on Tuesday to fix an issue disclosed in a proof-of-concept exploit by Google engineer Michele Spagnuolo. A number of major sites including Google, YouTube, Twitter, and Tumblr were vulnerable to the issue, although they quickly addressed the issue on their ends. With Adobe's update to Flash Player itself, users will no longer be vulnerable as long as they update their plug-ins, a move Apple is now strongly encouraging by blocking all older versions of the plug-in.

Article Link: Apple Forcing Users to Upgrade to Latest Adobe Flash Plug-In Due to Security Issues

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sure. I'll let everyone know that your willing to redesign their sites for free. I'm sure you'll be receiving calls shortly.

Not just websites, he's willing to rewrite all of those quick and easy flash games. He's a nice guy.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Sure. I'll let everyone know that your willing to redesign their sites for free. I'm sure you'll be receiving calls shortly.

Not just websites, he's willing to rewrite all of those quick and easy flash games. He's a nice guy.

Personally, I cannot wait to see his port of Homestarrunner.com! Bloody Flash; who needs it, anyway? What's it ever done for us besides revolutionize the way we consume content and share videos?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The block is for older versions of Flash in Safari, as it would have been helpful for the article to have pointed out. On other browsers on the Mac, who knows?

Geoadm

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
I haven't installed flash since 2011. Cant say I've missed it. Most video plays in HTML5 these days and anything else is just noisy, flashing, CPU hogging crap. If a website doesn't support no flash I skip it.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Personally, I cannot wait to see his port of Homestarrunner.com! Bloody Flash; who needs it, anyway? What's it ever done for us besides revolutionize the way we consume content and share videos?

Sharing content such as cartoons or adding low bandwidth animated vector content to pages is where Flash excels. It's video support is joke. It's nothing more than a pathetically unoptimised wrapper for existing codecs like H.264 that have GPU hardware acceleration without Flash. How it became the standard for Internet video is baffling. The first thing I do with any flash video is rip it with download helper and rewrap it as an mp4 with MP4tools.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
What I don't like about flash updates are the pop up windows look like generic malware windows. I always update flash by going to adobes web site.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks for that extra but of info, IJ.

I'm glad that we are moving to open standards that can replace flash, albeit slowly. It arrived DOA on mobile, largely thanks to Apple's unwillingness to budge. However, on the desktop it's still a necessary evil for some, even though it's being used in ways for which there are superior technologies (I.e.: video playback).

Personally, I run without the plugin, only using chrome when flash is required and safari the rest of the time.

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
I remember when Flash was a 768k (or there a bouts) stand-alone installer, it was good, it did most things that people wanted of it. There is a good reason Macromedia sold it, they could see its end just a few years down the track, its the buyer, Adobe, that flogging a dead horse...

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Has there ever been a piece of software which had more security flaws or was a bigger malware magnet?

Web site uses Flash? Go somewhere else. Eventually, site managers will learn or go out of business.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I deleted flash. Too many security alerts and UPDATE-NAOW warnings.

Now I run chrome which has its own flash player, auto-updates itself, and seems to have better security. I also run ad-block and set chrome to click to run plugins, which helps a lot.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
The only place I use Flash any more is on the BBC news website. I really can’t understand why they're still using it.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I deleted flash the last time this issue came up. The only problem is that now on my Mac every website that uses flash tells me I have a missing plug-in. So I use my ipad instead. Does anyone know if there is a setting that I need to adjust so that safari on my Mac will work like safari on my ipad? Thank you. I feel silling asking, but it appreciate those that will be patient and kind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.