PDA

View Full Version : Is Apple losing interest in the enterprise market?

MacBytes
Jan 23, 2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Is Apple losing interest in the enterprise market? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060123102511)
Description:: Is Apple is losing interest in areas such as the enterprise market? Depends who you ask.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

longofest
Jan 23, 2006, 10:51 AM
Newsflash: Apple has already lost in the enterprise market. Anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking something. I wish it weren't so, but thats how it is.

~Shard~
Jan 23, 2006, 10:52 AM
Apple plays in the enterprise market? :confused: :p ;)

stoid
Jan 23, 2006, 11:05 AM
Well, for awhile news came in regularly of Apple doing something to nose into the enterprise market. They were regularly hyping the XServe.

~Shard~
Jan 23, 2006, 11:11 AM
Well, for awhile news came in regularly of Apple doing something to nose into the enterprise market. They were regularly hyping the XServe.

Yeah, it seems like they've laid off that for a while now. The thing is, Woodcrest is not going to be available until the end of the year, (and even that's pushing it IMO), so what will they do with the line until then? Leave it stagnant for effectively a year? I sure hope not. Apple will probably put in one of their top of the line dual core G5s in the Xserve in the near future and let that attempt to tide people over until the Intel Woodcrest Xserves are out.

SiliconAddict
Jan 23, 2006, 11:17 AM
Newsflash: Apple has already lost in the enterprise market. Anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking something. I wish it weren't so, but thats how it is.

++. Apple would have to make so many major changes in how they work that it's not really even an option. I've talked to several CIO's to moderate sized companies who considered Apple. One of the biggest killing points was service contracts. Apple margins are insane, worse then their hardware margins, and it's something they don't budge on either. Beyond that I've "heard" their turn around times for server support are not in any way shape or form good. All of our systems onsite are under 4 hour service contracts. The last person I spoken with, admittedly this was about 5 years ago so they may have cleaned up their act, said it took over a day to get a mission critical server back up and running. With the majority of the time spent waiting for parts to arrive. Could that be an isolated incident? Sure but I've heard similar grumblings as well.
The simple fact is Apple is more geared towards the consumer market, while disappointing, caters to Apple's strong points.

bigandy
Jan 23, 2006, 11:42 AM
apple haven't a great presence in the consumer market, no, however i do think that'll grow the minute they release the dual core, dual processor intel based system or something similar, to completely blow the Xserve G5 out the water... :rolleyes:

methinks with nothing last year, they're going for something quite big. the iPod of corporate solutions maybe :D

~Shard~
Jan 23, 2006, 12:14 PM
apple haven't a great presence in the consumer market, no ...

I think you meant enterprise market. :p ;)

BenRoethig
Jan 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
They don't really have a good presence in either, but they do own the creative professional market. Apple's innovation really doesn't fly in the enterprise market. They add too many bells and whistles (in both hardware and software) for a customer who wants a no nonsense work terminal. If Apple really wants to go after the Enterprise (and the majority of consumers), they're going to after to start a second more conventional PC brand (with some innovation like OSX and EFI added in of course) or partner with the likes of HP or Dell. Wouldn't hurt for the consumer market either.

mdavey
Jan 23, 2006, 02:31 PM
Is Apple losing interest in the enterprise market?

Well, for a start, there isn't just one Enterprise market, there are many:

* Business laptops
Apple does well in this segment

* Business desktops
With the exception of niche markets (printing, design, etc), Apple has struggled here. Intel systems might really allow inroads to be made in this segment

* Enterprise servers & storage
It seems to be a trade secret that Apple storage solutions are among the least expensive. I have no idea what their availability and reliability is like - I assume good.

* Reactive support
Others have commented on this

* Proactive support / remote monitoring
I assume that Apple doesn't provide this - I certainly haven't heard about it.

* Professional services / Consultancy
* Training
* Telecommunications grade equipment
* Critical infrastructure & life-critical equipment

Clearly Apple is a consumer company rather than an Enterprise server company. Perhaps it isn't even possible to be both without being a mega-corporation? I can't think of any other computer company that is successful at selling products and services to consumers, professionals and the Enterprise with the possible exception of Dell.

longofest
Jan 23, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well, for a start, there isn't just one Enterprise market, there are many:

* Business laptops
Apple does well in this segment

* Business desktops
With the exception of niche markets (printing, design, etc), Apple has struggled here. Intel systems might really allow inroads to be made in this segment

* Enterprise servers & storage
It seems to be a trade secret that Apple storage solutions are among the least expensive. I have no idea what their availability and reliability is like - I assume good.

* Reactive support
Others have commented on this

* Proactive support / remote monitoring
I assume that Apple doesn't provide this - I certainly haven't heard about it.

* Professional services / Consultancy
* Training
* Telecommunications grade equipment
* Critical infrastructure & life-critical equipment

Clearly Apple is a consumer company rather than an Enterprise server company. Perhaps it isn't even possible to be both without being a mega-corporation? I can't think of any other computer company that is successful at selling products and services to consumers, professionals and the Enterprise with the possible exception of Dell.

You aren't looking at the enterprise my friend. When people talk enterprise, they talk Fortune-500 or Fortune-1000 companies. Big business. Big businesses don't buy Apple laptops, desktops, servers, or anything unless a special exception is made (i.e. a media department, or a special contract requiring use of Apple equipment). In big business, Dell and IBM/Leveno rule (add in HP and Sun for the server market). You seem to be confusing professionals with the enterprise. Professionals != Enterprise. That is important to remember. There are many professionals that work outside of an enterprise environment, and there are many professionals that work in enterprise too, but then they become part of the enterprise and thus are prostrate to its procedures and whatnot. This article was specifying enterprise.