Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacharee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so forgive me if I am wrong.

I have a hackintosh set up, working pretty much perfectly, with Windows and Ubuntu as other OSes. A little while ago I did some partitioning in Windows which, of course, messed up the Mac installation. When I next tried to boot into mac I got the "Still waiting for root device" message, which meant my startup disk couldn't be found. After searching around on Google for a while I was able to boot into Mac by specifying my Startup Disk before boot (rd=/dev/disk0s7). When I got into Mac I noticed that my other Mac install wouldn't mount unless I did it through Terminal (sudo mount -t hfs /dev/disk0s3 /), and that all of my HFS+ partitions on the drive were recognized not as HFS+, but as strings of random numbers (their global ids), which meant they couldn't be checked, except through the terminal. (Sorry for the run-on sentence).

Currently, the only way I can boot into Mac is by specifying my startup disk and what I would like to know is if there is a way to fix my filesystems so that they show up as HFS+ again and are mountable through disk utility.

My main startup disk's filesystem shows as this in disk utility: DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A1A6-BFD50179D6AC.
From looking that up in Google I found that that global id is for a Windows recovery partition, even though the partition is actually HFS+. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if any of this is confusing. I will give any more information that is needed, if asked.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.