Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Just looked at the Back to School promo they are having and the pair of Beats headphones does not say "beats by dr. dre" anymore; instead it's just "beats".

bts-guide-hero-m-2014

I guess the "new employee" doesn't get his name stamped on a product anymore.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're wrong.

If you click on the picture to be taken to the store you get all kinds of reference to "Dr" Dre.

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 8.40.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 8.40.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 8.40.31 AM.png

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Just looked at the Back to School promo they are having and the pair of Beats headphones does not say "beats by dr. dre" anymore; instead it's just "beats".

…

I guess the "new employee" doesn't get his name stamped on a product anymore.
I think they are actually doing that for quite a while now. At least some of the more recent models even don't have that "beats" text at all.

Apart from that, at least in the German Apple Store, all beats headphones are still listed as "beats by Dr. Dre".

mrbib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
You're wrong.

If you click on the picture to be taken to the store you get all kinds of reference to "Dr" Dre.

View attachment 480666

View attachment 480667

View attachment 480668

I know pages within the store still have Dr Dre in the products; I just think this is a precursor of things to come. The "by dr dre" is going to be taken out of future products. No other products in the Apple line recognizes a person in such a way. "iPhone by Sir Ive", "iTunes by Eddy Cue", "Macbook Pro by Steve Jobs". Besides the acquisition deal has not been finalized yet so Apple doesn't have authority to rebrand any products until then.

Through the marketing genius of Jimmy Iovine, the Dr Dre name was only put on to legitimatize an unknown product when it was first introduced. Now, that the brand is well known, what is the purpose of having the Dre name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.