PDA

View Full Version : First Look: QuarkXPress 7

MacBytes
Jan 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: First Look: QuarkXPress 7 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060123180833)
Description:: For much of the last year, Quark has been releasing tidbits about the forthcoming version 7 of its flagship product, QuarkXPress. At the same time, rival page-layout application Adobe InDesign has seen significant adoption among professional designers.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jan 23, 2006, 05:09 PM
yeah yeah InDesign is better than Quark blah blah blah etc etc.

Anyone used the beta of QXP7 yet? I signed up, but never got info on a file download.

Blue Velvet
Jan 23, 2006, 05:14 PM
Anyone used the beta of QXP7 yet?

Yep. You can read my truncated review here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2042169&postcount=17) and here. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2051315&postcount=19) Haven't spent much time with it again recently because of work but hope to look into it again soon.

In short, much improved — should have been v6.
Brilliant if it's cheap, a flop if it's pricy.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. I'm also registered to go to one of their schmoozy (free lunch) roadshows here in London on Fri in Hammersmith although I'm not entirely sure whether I'll make it.

winmacguy
Jan 23, 2006, 05:30 PM
yeah yeah InDesign is better than Quark blah blah blah etc etc.
I'm loving that comment Mudbug :D
Personally I wouldn't buy it on principal but that is not to say that I could end up using it at some time in the future depending on where I may be working. At this stage I prefer to stick with InDesign

Edit: Interesting review there Blue Velvet. I was thinking when I read the initial comments on MacWorld prior to posting the article that immitation is the greatest form of flattery. Quark is to InDesign what IE is to Firefox. They don't get improved unless they are getting their asses kicked by the competition.

decksnap
Jan 23, 2006, 05:47 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm taking the Intel switch as an opportunity to ditch Quark once and for all. We no longer have any vendors who won't deal with InDesign, and if I'm going to have to buy new software suites anyway, I think I'll skip Quark altogether.

redAPPLE
Jan 23, 2006, 06:04 PM
Edit: Oh, I forgot. I'm also registered to go to one of their schmoozy (free lunch) roadshows here in London on Fri in Hammersmith although I'm not entirely sure whether I'll make it.

"aaaahhhh.... free lunch," homer thought.

bousozoku
Jan 23, 2006, 06:14 PM
Reviled and revered, I'm glad to see what they're doing with it, finally.

Should have been version 6? No, it should have been there when version 5 was released.

Price is such a big deal. You'd think that, since they've still got the majority of the DTP market, they wouldn't be charging $300 per seat.

BWhaler
Jan 23, 2006, 06:32 PM
As a long time Quark user who got sick and tired of Quark's anemic and expensive updates, and their not-so-subtle pushing of the PC platform, I happily switched my company to Indesign.

For the past 3 years--gee has it been longer--I have happily been using Indesign and been pleased with being an Adobe customer. I've authorized 180 licenses of the CS suite and recently another 150 of the CS2 suite.

But now I am nervous. It looks like at first brush that Adobe may be the new Quark. Salty with Apple, dragging their heals on the universal code, and no public commitment as to when a universal binary is coming and whether or not they are even going to make one.

We plan on upgrading all of our hardware to the Intel chip late this year, maybe sooner depending on what Apple announces. At that time, I hope Adobe has a firm ship date and a strong public commitment to Apple, or we may switch back.

I understand Adobe's position. They hate what happened with the pro video apps, and Aperture had to anger them and scare them a tad bit.

But they need to remember their customers first. Not Apple. And 50% of their customers buy and use Macs, and that number is climbing.

I really want to stay an Adobe customer--the last years with Quark were too disgusting to give them our money ever again. I just hope Adobe doesn't do something stupid and not customer centric.

TwitchOSX
Jan 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
First look.. and last look.

Buh bye. Its Xpress 4.1 with transparency YAY!

bousozoku
Jan 23, 2006, 07:33 PM
As a long time Quark user who got sick and tired of Quark's anemic and expensive updates, and their not-so-subtle pushing of the PC platform, I happily switched my company to Indesign.

For the past 3 years--gee has it been longer--I have happily been using Indesign and been pleased with being an Adobe customer. I've authorized 180 licenses of the CS suite and recently another 150 of the CS2 suite.

But now I am nervous. It looks like at first brush that Adobe may be the new Quark. Salty with Apple, dragging their heals on the universal code, and no public commitment as to when a universal binary is coming and whether or not they are even going to make one.

We plan on upgrading all of our hardware to the Intel chip late this year, maybe sooner depending on what Apple announces. At that time, I hope Adobe has a firm ship date and a strong public commitment to Apple, or we may switch back.

I understand Adobe's position. They hate what happened with the pro video apps, and Aperture had to anger them and scare them a tad bit.

But they need to remember their customers first. Not Apple. And 50% of their customers buy and use Macs, and that number is climbing.

I really want to stay an Adobe customer--the last years with Quark were too disgusting to give them our money ever again. I just hope Adobe doesn't do something stupid and not customer centric.

Good luck. 3 or 4 years from now, you may see Adobe CS for Apple + Intel. They've got to undo 15 years of slopware design.

decksnap
Jan 23, 2006, 10:15 PM

But wait it gets worse! For those of us who used Macromedia products for web development and Adobe products for print, now we've got all our eggs in ONE basket with the buyout.

settledown
Jan 23, 2006, 11:05 PM
Isn't CS2 (primarily photoshop) a deal breaker for the Mactels? Photoshop in rosetta is not good enough, right?

Unless Adobe ships CS2 for Intel, Apple is up a creek, or we must re-embrace Quark in liu of InDesign.

If Adobe drags its feet, what is the replacement for Dreamweaver or Photoshop on Intel?

narco
Jan 23, 2006, 11:37 PM
Really wish Quark could be mentioned without it being an InDesign vs. Quark argument.

I agree with BlueVelvet -- it better be cheap or it'll flop. This should be 100% OBVIOUS since that's the #1 issue people bring up in the ID vs. Q argument.

And I don't care if it's there or not, I won't use transparencies. I know most printers I work with frown on them big time.

Fishes,
narco.

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2006, 12:22 AM

It's just a little more than that. :rolleyes:

But then I wouldn't expect a web designer to offer anything of value to say about a print design tool who's main strengths are for the designing of books.

If composition zones are workable, then I can see that being a huge attraction to some which InDesign does not have. Nor synchronised layouts.

And a universal binary just around the corner... this game isn't over as much the fanboys would like you to believe. Various estimates put InDesign at only a 20-30% market share, not the crushing majority that is often the perception.

Personally, I couldn't care less. Adobe aren't perfect and have dragged their heels often before and we are looking at InDesign closely but it's good to have some real competition in the market again.

winmacguy
Jan 24, 2006, 12:28 AM

LOL (and then he falls of his chair) :eek:

backupdrummer
Jan 24, 2006, 08:22 AM
I bounce back and forth between both Quark and Indesign now and I must say there are a lot of about InDesign that I like but the biggest deal breaker is how it handles linked files specifically excel files.

I work for an asset management firm and I am always trying to look for a situation to switch over but this keeps holding me back.

I can work fast in Quark but it is just visually ugly and just looks cheap and is clunky at times especially when compared to InDesign. The improvments they look to be making in 7 maybe enough to make htis a debate again.

TwitchOSX
Jan 24, 2006, 10:45 AM
Who cares if Adobe has CS whatever working in universal binary? Nobody uses iMacs for professional design.. and not as much on Powerbooks as you might think. Its all about the powermacs and Apple doesnt even have an intel powermac out. So.. until Apple does, I am not complaining. I have a DP 2.5 g5 at work that seems to be pretty happy and will be for the next couple years.

winmacguy
Jan 24, 2006, 02:58 PM
Who cares if Adobe has CS whatever working in universal binary? Nobody uses iMacs for professional design.. and not as much on Powerbooks as you might think. Its all about the powermacs and Apple doesnt even have an intel powermac out. So.. until Apple does, I am not complaining. I have a DP 2.5 g5 at work that seems to be pretty happy and will be for the next couple years.
I have seen a number of boutique Auckland design studios using G5 iMacs and or G4 eMacs for design. Admitedly the studios are not as big as some studios in the US but they are still pumping out creative funky designs :cool:

decksnap
Jan 24, 2006, 05:47 PM

These days, an iMac is plenty for a lot of print designers. The software hasn't changed all that much in the last few years, yet system performance grows by leaps and bounds. I spent years on a 450 mhz G4... wish I had the new iMac back then!