Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Yeah, following some weird event in which a comment was somehow down-voted, voting of any kind seems to have vanished. Funnily enough, you can still view top comments and their up-votes, which are otherwise invisible.

Edit: voting seems to live… but for how much longer, nobody knows…

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
It disappeared for me for a bit (around the time this was posted) but is back now. Must have been a glitch or a short-lived accident.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
sorry.... we've been making some changes. Let us know if anything remains broken.

downvoting may return in some form

arn

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
sorry.... we've been making some changes. Let us know if anything remains broken.

arn

I know the chances are slim that you're willing to divulge too much information, but will it involve posting specifically linked comments in place of down-voting, allowing users to read disparaging remarks responding to potentially overrated comments? :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Bummer to see any further implementation of any voting buttons.

Voting buttons, as a whole, are nothing more than a waste of space. It has been shown on this very site that quality posts can be down-voted because they show a poster who does not stand in agreement with the masses. Similarly, up-votes are received even if posts bring nothing to the conversation but may be funny.

I just cannot see the point of any voting buttons. The average age of folks here is young. If you want to like a post, head to Facebook. I don't see the point of setting it up here unless I can actually filter out certain posts. Again, that does no good because I've seen well-known members get up-votes for truly inane and misguided responses.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

This would be a great move. Having just an up vote button is... well, it's one-sided.

Not having buttons at all wouldn't be great either - there are times where it's fully appropriate to have a mechanism to let the poster know that they've done or said something silly without having to compose a response post.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This would be a great move. Having just an up vote button is... well, it's one-sided.

Not having buttons at all wouldn't be great either - there are times where it's fully appropriate to have a mechanism to let the poster know that they've done or said something silly without having to compose a response post.

right now down-vote is back if you have > 100 posts.

arn

I actually liked that down voting was removed, for the very reason in the top quote: it removes the need for actual discourse, it becomes a mechanism for “drive by negativity”. Oh it’s user X <downvote>, oh they said Samsung <downvote>, etc. I like that silly comments either went ignored, or had to be responded to with some thought. This just creates a way to penalize a comment without any clarification as to the intent, etc., ... it’s like a photo ticket.

Just my $0.02 :)

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Upvote should at the very least be displayed separately from the downvote number. Personally, I think if there is to be a downvote, there should be some sort of choice where the voter must provide/select a reason for it – like a pop-up menu, perhaps that categorical entries can be added to.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I can't see why the community shouldn't be able to judge a user's posts. I think this practice should be encouraged. We could have contests, with top down- and up-voted posts and threads!
Along this line, we could also value the random aspect of votes even more. For instance, a rule could be added, where a user has to upvote any funny or nice posts encountered in the forums.

As a suggestion, posts with more than 2 down votes could also be automatically deleted from the system after some 24 hours, thus allowing only what the community sees as acceptable, and fun. This should help with the quality of the responses.

Keep it up guys!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
May I ask Arn what was the rationale in bringing it back even with the 100 post minimum cap ? Thanks

because many of us like the feature and asked for it.

upvotes w/o downvotes results in a lopsided indicator of popularity -- and post popularity is the purpose of a voting system. why should a troll get a few dozen upvotes when there may be a hundred people who would downvote him?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

arn

In agreement with GoCubsGo, I would also suggest that both buttons be removed. There are so many reasons why a post might receive up or down votes, many having nothing to do with the quality or usefulness of the post, that the whole concept seems flawed. The meaning of any voting is enigmatic and, therefore, of little informational value.

I would suggest that if one has a response to a post...then write it. It would make clear what ones thoughts are, rather than the difficult to interpret voting. And if one is not sufficiently motivated to take the time to write a response...then pass the post by.

As "I agree" or "+1" responses are a Rule violation, I would not anticipate an increase in such posts...and they would likely be reported and removed, as they are now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dang. I don't know whether to up vote or down vote that comment of yours :)

The choice is obvious :p
dowvote.png

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California

arn

Look, I'd like to be nice about it, but I don't think I can.

Down voting is just plain a stupid idea that asks for trolling whether or not you have a hundred or a bajillion posts.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This thread is a good example:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1755267/

"I would love to live in one of those houses right there next to it” has -3 votes. So do people dislike the comment? General anti-Apple downvoting? Think it wouldn’t be a good idea?

On the last question, another user made a reasonable reply:

"I have no idea why....traffic would be terrible.” and is at -1

Retaliatory down vote from the user he responded to? Someone who loves traffic?

Just seems like a lot of _noise_.

Upvote should at the very least be displayed separately from the downvote number. Personally, I think if there is to be a downvote, there should be some sort of choice where the voter must provide/select a reason for it – like a pop-up menu, perhaps that categorical entries can be added to.

I do like seeing the total / up / down (like on Ars). It gives you a sense of whether your comment didn’t really strike a chord, if it was extremely polarizing, etc., and may make you rethink your position, do additional research, etc. There’s a difference in a 2 that’s 2 up votes vs. a 2 that’s 100 up votes and 98 down votes.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
How about rationing? You get 3 up votes a month and 1 down vote.

No rollovers.

Please, no. Just get rid of the down vote and make everything peaceful the way it was.

If you are in disagreement with someone, posting a reason makes much more sense than simply down-voting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.