Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NFL Sunday Ticket, a popular sports package provided by DirecTV, will be offered as a standalone subscription for the first time in 2014, letting users who do not subscribe to DirecTV service access NFL Sunday Ticket games on their Macs and iOS devices.

Though no announcement has been made, a promotional page noticed by AppleInsider details DirecTV's new standalone plan, which provides full NFL Sunday Ticket access starting at $199.99.

nflsundayticket.jpg
Introducing NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV. NFL football for all.

Now you can access live, out-of-market NFL games without a DIRECTV satellite TV account--no matter what team you follow! NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV lets you stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console. All while keeping up with real-time player stats and your fantasy teams.
NFL Sunday Ticket has long been accessible on iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices, but in prior years, it has required a monthly subscription to DirecTV's satellite cable service and a satellite dish. Now users can get access on a variety of devices with three separate plans.

The lowest tier plan, available for $199.99, allows NFL Sunday Ticket access on computers, tablets, and phones, while a $239.99 console plan allows access on console devices.

MAX, the highest tier priced at $329.99, offers access on computers, tablets, phones, and consoles, plus access to Red Zone Channel, which shows every touchdown from every game, and access to DirecTV Fantasy Zone, offering live looks at fantasy plays. All three plans also offer real-time stats and scores along with the ability to track favorite players. Standard NFL Sunday Ticket plans for DirecTV subscribers begin at $240, going up to $324 for a MAX subscription.

The website does not mention Apple TV access, but a 2010 rumor pointed towards an NFL Sunday Ticket channel on the device, which could come to fruition this year following the announcement of the standalone subscriptions.

While DirecTV previously offered a streaming package for subscribers unable to get reliable DirecTV service and tested a console-based subscription plan last year, the new NFL Sunday Ticket standalone offerings expand the service to a much wider range of cord cutters who still want access to live sports.

The changes to NFL Sunday Ticket come following DirecTV's pending acquisition by AT&T, which is awaiting regulatory approval. DirecTV is also set to renegotiate its NFL contract later this year.

Sunday Ticket for iPad [Direct Link]

Sunday Ticket for iPhone [Direct Link]

Update 1:45 PM PT: As noted by Engadget, an FAQ on the DirecTV site indicates that the NFL Sunday Ticket subscription free plan may be limited to customers in "select areas, residence types, and enrolled in select universities." Users must enter their address information on the DirecTV site to find out if they are eligible.

Article Link: DirecTV's 'NFL Sunday Ticket' Offered as Standalone Subscription, Available on Macs/iOS Devices [Updated]

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I swear I was just talking to DirectTV today because I wanted the Sunday Ticket. I am doing this instead. Great move.

madmacmaster

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2013
This fantastic for those of us whom can not get DTV in condo units.

Hope this $199 price covers full access

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
If it works on an Apple TV, sign me up. No more finding bars nearby that have the game I want.

iabacus

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Hawaii
Great News. I don't really care about NFL Sunday Ticket, but it would be great to see more stand alone offerings. I would pay a good amount for HBO.

I hope this is the start of more entertainment packages being offered.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Possible game changer. This is a BIG deal for current and potential cord cutters.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If it works on an Apple TV, sign me up. No more finding bars nearby that have the game I want.

I'm guessing it doesn't work with AirPlay because the console tier is more expensive. Gotta pay more if you want to watch it on your TV. That's their thinking, anyway.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is huge. Of course, it keeps DTV as the middleman between the consumer and the NFL, but this could start other services being offered using the same model (and a logical stepping stone between the [eventual] direct consumer-to-service without the intervening provider).

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
They have had this for computer users for a couple of years now. I subscribed the first year they did it and the performance was terrible and I canceled and got a refund after the first week.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
appleTV

I'm sure they will not enable airplay but what they should do is just add the appleTV to the console pricing

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Not having the Apple TV on the list of supported devices is a missed opportunity on Apple's part. $99 is an impulse buy for a lot of people where $300 or $400 isn't.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Given DTV's relationships with content providers this could be the first step that gets ATT into homes and bypassing cable. It also means DTV could reach subscribers that can't get a dish. I'd gladly pay for a number of channels I currently get via cable and replace the rest with an HD antenna. Now, if TiVO and DTV expanded their relationship so a TiVO box would work with internet delivered content...

Alternatively, if Apple offered HBO/Showtime shows shortly after airing I'd buy them that way rather than subscribe via cable. I'd even trade a lower fee for adds at the start and end of show.

Once content providers can make as much or more that way cable will start to suffer; which is why the net neutrality fight is critical as CTV companies see that as the way to make up for the revenue they will lose.

----------

Yeah, it’s the same with DTV for local blackouts, it’s basically tied to your area via your billing address (though you could potentially do something creating in that capacity).

I wonder if a VPN connection would work since you would appear to be out of area? Otherwise, you'd have to do what a friend did for MLB and get the bill sent to a location that doesn't get blacked out.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Still can't watch blacked out games I'd assume.

Of course, as it states "out of market games". But as of now, as a DTV sub, they have your billing and home address, rather simple to understand where your home location is. However, using a WiFi only tablet through VPN, for instance, with maybe even a prepaid credit card to be safe, how would this be validated? I recall reading how people were able to get around this fairly easily with the MLB At Bat app.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
I welcome the move.
It does not make sense to pay to cable company and watch a bunch of commercials.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
doing back flips right now... just moved out of my hometown and was searching for a way to watch the Eagles!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.