PDA

View Full Version : Disney-Pixar: It's a Wrap

MacBytes
Jan 24, 2006, 02:12 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Disney-Pixar: It's a Wrap (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060124031232)
Description:: The deal, which would make Steve Jobs the Mouse House's biggest shareholder, appears to be done, and it could shake up the industry

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mpw
Jan 24, 2006, 02:40 AM
I don't see how this would effect Apple in any way with the exception of it taking up more of Steve's time.

From an Apple point of view is this good news?

Analog Kid
Jan 24, 2006, 02:50 AM
I don't see how this would effect Apple in any way with the exception of it taking up more of Steve's time.

Think content.

Analog Kid
Jan 24, 2006, 02:51 AM
I have to say, I like the irony that Disney was the distribution channel for Pixar, and now Apple is likely to be a new distribution channel for Disney.:D

NAG
Jan 24, 2006, 02:53 AM
Yeah, this probably means more Disney content on iTunes.

24C
Jan 24, 2006, 03:45 AM
Yeah, this probably means more Disney content on iTunes.
More importantly for me, with the "sharing of revenues/distribution" issues settled more quality animated films are guaranteed from Pixar, so we'll get more great Pixar content :cool:

Sharewaredemon
Jan 24, 2006, 06:43 AM
Why isn't this front page news?

Abstract
Jan 24, 2006, 06:57 AM
Because other than the fact that this is (currently) slightly related to Steve Jobs, it isn't Apple or Mac related. Steve's role at Apple may not change much at all, and nobody can say it will until we wait and see what happens. If it DOES change, then it'll be Apple-related news.

macFanDave
Jan 24, 2006, 07:07 AM

I would wager that being CEO of Pixar is more time consuming than being a board member for Disney.

Also, all the publicity Steve Jobs garners is free advertising for Apple.

EGT
Jan 24, 2006, 07:18 AM

I think it's good news. There's probably something BIG happening in the background.

Truffy
Jan 24, 2006, 07:28 AM
I read somewhere, sometime, that Pixar wanted out of the Disney deal after the original contract ended. Something to do with stifling creativity? Dunno.

Anyhow, looks like that's a thing of the past ... or SJ just needs the money :rolleyes:

Other than that irony, not very noteworthy. Disney content on iT? You'll be downloading more ads than content if their DVDs are anything to go by. :rolleyes:

jholzner
Jan 24, 2006, 07:36 AM
I read somewhere, sometime, that Pixar wanted out of the Disney deal after the original contract ended. Something to do with stifling creativity? Dunno.

Anyhow, looks like that's a thing of the past ... or SJ just needs the money :rolleyes:

Other than that irony, not very noteworthy. Disney content on iT? You'll be downloading more ads than content if their DVDs are anything to go by. :rolleyes:

Steve and the old CEO of Disney (Eisner) didn't get along. He's out now and it looks like Steve likes the new guy.

iGary
Jan 24, 2006, 07:54 AM
Why isn't this front page news?

Because it is not official yet.

angelwatt
Jan 24, 2006, 08:03 AM
Well I see this as putting in an investment to the children, and thus an investment for the future. If this can used to reach children and let them see the Apple name it'll make them more likely customers when they have money in their pockets.

PlaceofDis
Jan 24, 2006, 08:20 AM
as stated many times in the other threads about all of this. take a look at what Disney owns. with Pixar being bought, if SJ gets a large shareholding in Disney and a seat on the Board, there will undoubtably be a relationship with Apple, and Disney has a lot of weight behind it.

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 08:21 AM
Because it is not official yet.

It will be a 1PM EST ;)

gbruner
Jan 24, 2006, 09:44 AM

Steve isn't that short sighted. He's the kinda guy that wants creativity and quality control, and with this merger, he'll have it! He always left all the work to others at Pixar and he focused on Apple. I think he'll have more time for Apple now than ever.

I'm thrilled that John Lassiter is going to have so much influence at Disney! I think this is a major turning point for Disney to get back to the glory days of the 90s.

What I'm really hoping is that they will also reimplement 2D animation on some of their films.

tk421
Jan 24, 2006, 09:54 AM

No, it was never about stifling creativity. The issue was that Pixar wanted a larger cut of the profits.

In the beginning, they were a mostly unknown studio (they did a few shorts and commercial stuff) that signed a deal with Disney to distribute and market their films. Disney benefited and Pixar benefited.

But now Pixar has a solid reputation for consistent quality and profitability. So they wanted to renegotiate the deal with Disney or find another studio that would give them more favorable terms. And rightly so, because they earned it.

revfife
Jan 24, 2006, 10:20 AM
Look for a new "learning center" in Disney World sponsored by Apple soon! :D

And Disney Apple Store!

miloblithe
Jan 24, 2006, 10:25 AM
As some other commentator pointed out, while this may be great for Disney content, it might present an obstacle for other content, given that Disney competitors won't want to help Disney by supporting Disney's preferred providor.

We'll see.

machinehien
Jan 24, 2006, 10:35 AM
Hmm, what does this do to my Pixar stock? Does it get converted to shares of DIS?

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 10:49 AM
Hmm, what does this do to my Pixar stock? Does it get converted to shares of DIS?

That depends on how the buyout is done..
If Pixar becomes a subsidiary there will be Pixar stock.
If it melds into Disney your Pixar stock will become Disney stock..

I think :)

saurus
Jan 24, 2006, 11:00 AM
Back in 1998, Disney was reluctant to jump into the DVD bandwagon and made a serious dent in how fast DVD became accepted as the medium of choice (remember Divx?). I don't think the other media companies are going to forget that fact, since Disney controls so much of the Children/Family entertainment market, and many of their movies are classics that most familys want to keep instead of rent.

So if Jobs does indeed have as much clout on the Disney board as we've heard, and really wants to kill Microsoft's medium of choice, this could be the best way to see it fail.

Oh and yes, more Disney medium on iTunes is a given.

nagromme
Jan 24, 2006, 11:15 AM
I'd say it IS big news for Apple.

Not because Steve Jobs will become less involved with Apple--he won't. He'll be involved with Disney instead of just Pixar, but Apple won't suffer.

Rather, it's big news because Disney owns a LOT of movie and TV content beyond just "Disney" stuff. The question of Apple getting access to that content, as they expand iTunes/iPod, will go from a question to a near certainty.

Ugg
Jan 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
It seems as though everyone's forgetting ABC, ESPN, Miramax and A & E amongst others. That is a lot of content and could lead to a lot of sales through iTunes.

MacSrvant21
Jan 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
Heres the link to that story:
http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article340377.ece
for anyone whose interestd
:)

winmacguy
Jan 24, 2006, 12:21 PM
I hope the market reacts positively to the news, I see Apple's stock price is dropping steadily at the moment, which I think is more due to the depressing news from all of the tech stocks on the market to date rather than specific bad news about Apple.:(

Edit: Hopefully the current rate of decline is related to some profit taking prior to the announcement which will then be followed by a steep climb again.

LethalWolfe
Jan 24, 2006, 12:45 PM
As some other commentator pointed out, while this may be great for Disney content, it might present an obstacle for other content, given that Disney competitors won't want to help Disney by supporting Disney's preferred providor.

We'll see.

W/Apple in the position it's in right now in terms of internet distribution there's really no viable alternative (at least not yet). Remember when ABC shows were the only shows on the iTMS? And even though other networks announced similar type deals those plans were quickly ditched and now their content is up on iTMS too.

Like you said, we'll see. But I think studios/networks would rather play along than miss the boat (the record labels aren't really happy that they can't bend Jobs to their will, but I haven't seen them bailing out of the iTMS).

Lethal

winmacguy
Jan 24, 2006, 01:09 PM
Heres the link to that story:
http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article340377.ece
for anyone whose interestd
:)
Error mentioned in the article
"crash evening lectures on emerging computer technology at a local firm called Hewlett-Packard"

Steve 'crashed' the lectures on caligraphy at Reed college which is where he got his interest and understanding of type from and where the ideas for the fonts and type spacing on the Mac GUI from the classes. He worked on the production lines at HP and as we all know eventually got himself and some of the guys from Apple 'invited' to Xerox PARC to see an amazing new computer GUI that was being developed at the time. :cool:

redAPPLE
Jan 24, 2006, 02:12 PM

imo, in a way. imagine. SJ won't have to think about removing firewire, or the modem (from the iBooks) etc.

redAPPLE
Jan 24, 2006, 02:14 PM
I think it's good news. There's probably something BIG happening in the background.

will the bluetooth enabled mighty mouse be called mickey mouse? :D

granex
Jan 24, 2006, 02:20 PM
If this ends up mirroring the NeXT takeover of Apple (and do you think that the heads of Pixar are not going to takeover the animation division of Disney?) and if Steve ends up the eventual CEO of Disney, then econ textbooks are going to have to reserve and entire chapter on how to "Jobs" a company.

The writing is on the way. NeXT simply had all of the best people in the industry, but couldn't get market share traction. Pixar clearly has the best people in their industry. The big difference is that Disney is much more diverse in entertainment holdings with respect to Pixar than Apple was with their core products with respect to NeXT. That, and the whole history of Steve's connection to the company.

iGary
Jan 24, 2006, 02:32 PM
No official news yet?

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 02:43 PM
No official news yet?

They may be waiting for the market to close..

EGT
Jan 24, 2006, 03:04 PM
will the bluetooth enabled mighty mouse be called mickey mouse? :D

:D

Novelty Apple products! iMacs with big Mickey Mouse ears! :eek:

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 03:09 PM
NEWS THAT WALT DISNEY Co. is likely to buy Pixar, headed by Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs, has prompted a flurry of speculation. What role would Jobs play in the Magic Kingdom? How would the purchase change Disney's Internet strategy? And would Dopey and the other dwarfs get their own iPod?

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-disney24jan24,0,7772703.story?coll=la-news-comment-editorials

mpw
Jan 24, 2006, 05:09 PM
:D

Novelty Apple products! iMacs with big Mickey Mouse ears! :eek:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/12/09/inside2-baig-disney.jpg
I like the idea of the stylus in the keyboard....kinda'

EGT
Jan 24, 2006, 06:18 PM
I like the idea of the stylus in the keyboard....kinda'

Steve should show something like that at the next keynote, or WWDC maybe. Just to see how people react.

"Only joking, it's not really the new iMac ... introducing the Mac Pro!"