PDA

View Full Version : Hacking EFI on an Intel Mac can get you a dead Intel Mac

MacBytes
Jan 24, 2006, 08:39 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Hacking EFI on an Intel Mac can get you a dead Intel Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060124093955)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

LimeiBook86
Jan 24, 2006, 08:50 AM
Well...now I won't be playing around with that on my New iMac. That's a very big risk, and I wouldn't want to mess that up :eek:!

baleensavage
Jan 24, 2006, 09:02 AM
This article definitely falls into the "well, duh" category. And Apple definitely won't be covering that in their warranty...

jerrybrace
Jan 24, 2006, 09:03 AM
The guys on this site have been working hard at trying to get Windows installed on the Intel iMac. Some have rendered their Mac useless - check out the comments on the site to see progress AND find steps on how to FIX your Intel iMac: http://nak.journalspace.com/?cmd=displaycomments&dcid=407&entryid=407

~Shard~
Jan 24, 2006, 09:15 AM
See, this just isn't worth the hassle and risk for me. I'd just let other people use their Intel iMacs as guinnea pigs... I love playing around with things like this, just to see if it's possible, or if I can do what technically shouldn't be able to be done (hey,I am an Engineer after all!) but by jeopardizing your system itself in doing so, that's where I'd draw the line. That being said, I'll definitely be following this topic intently out of sheer personal interest. :cool:

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2006, 09:17 AM
The guys on this site have been working hard at trying to get Windows installed on the Intel iMac. Some have rendered their Mac useless...

What? You mean they've actually got Windows up and running then?

Fender2112
Jan 24, 2006, 09:27 AM
hehehe that's funny :D

Fiveos22
Jan 24, 2006, 09:34 AM
The guys on this site have been working hard at trying to get Windows installed on the Intel iMac. Some have rendered their Mac useless - check out the comments on the site to see progress AND find steps on how to FIX your Intel iMac: http://nak.journalspace.com/?cmd=displaycomments&dcid=407&entryid=407

Crap, the discussion on that page is ridiculous (as in I am not a computer techie). That Dave Schroeder guy from UW is really taking charge of this task. There must be pride on the line.

jerrybrace
Jan 24, 2006, 09:35 AM

Haha - nice one - if you meant having Windows running on your Mac makes it useless. They're getting close to figuring it out. I wouldn't mind having the option to boot Windows if I ever need it for something. C'mon MacBook - get here soon...

~Shard~
Jan 24, 2006, 09:41 AM
Haha - nice one - if you meant having Windows running on your Mac makes it useless. They're getting close to figuring it out. I wouldn't mind having the option to boot Windows if I ever need it for something. C'mon MacBook - get here soon...

No, I think she meant she was surprised that Windows, in general, regardless of the platform or circumstance, was up and running itself. Many would argue Windows XP is not "up and running" no matter how you look at it. :p :cool:

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2006, 09:47 AM
No, I think she meant she was surprised that Windows, in general, regardless of the platform or circumstance, was up and running itself. Many would argue Windows XP is not "up and running" no matter how you look at it. :p :cool:

No, I think I meant what I said. Some people got the joke, as obvious as it was.

iJaz
Jan 24, 2006, 10:00 AM
Crap, the discussion on that page is ridiculous (as in I am not a computer techie). That Dave Schroeder guy from UW is really taking charge of this task. There must be pride on the line.

Of course, glory to the winner and death to the losers (or at least to their computers).

redAPPLE
Jan 24, 2006, 10:11 AM

imagine if these people or others have enough pride to create the first official mac os x virus. that would be scary.

isgoed
Jan 24, 2006, 10:33 AM
I once had crippled my PC by overclocking the bus to 200mhz from 133mhz by changing a BIOS setting. The system would crash instantly on startup. However, removing the internal battery reset the system to its default values. I think the claim that the system becomes unbootable is exaggerated. Moreover since Dave (the blog owner) already posted a solution (something with disconnecting power), this statement is just false. You need to have hardware failure before a system becomes completely unbootable.

ajbrehm
Jan 24, 2006, 10:57 AM
This article definitely falls into the "well, duh" category. And Apple definitely won't be covering that in their warranty...

Why not? Using EFI is part of using a computer. There is no golden rule that says that you must not use the EFI interface.

Apple should rather design their computers in a way that such usage cannot break them.

nagromme
imagine if these people or others have enough pride to create the first official mac os x virus. that would be scary.
I'm sure LOTS of people have had enough pride for that for years, and have been trying but giving up (so far). This Intel iMac project won't HELP that effort, though.

But, since we're taking potshots, you could say Windows will BE the first virus on Mac OS X :p

SiliconAddict
They found a work around. . .

By following these steps, the iMacs that had difficulty with certain EFI modules appear to have been restored to a functioning state:

1. Disconnect the internal hard disk

2. Disconnect the iMac from AC power

3. Plug in AC while holding the power button

4. Power up the iMac and zap NVRAM (cmd-opt-P-R)

The hard disk can be reformatted and the operating system restored.

SiliconAddict
Jan 24, 2006, 11:06 AM
I'm sure LOTS of people have had enough pride for that for years, and have been trying but giving up (so far). This Intel iMac project won't HELP that effort, though.

I don't think so. Just like getting Windows to run on Mac hardware - It requires enough of a brain trust to get the ball rolling. Once there is a critical mass of new users on the Mac you very well could see a mail virus\Trojan. Its just the amount of damage that it could really do is questionable. As an example you donít need administrative rights to permanently delete files in your home directory and Iíve always wondered can you Apple Script an automator action? If so you could then forward the virus on to your contact list via a generated automator action. Iím sure someone can figure out something malicious without needing to crash the system. Just like real life viruses it doesnít pay to kill off the host too soon before youíve infected other computers\people.

In regards to Windows on Mac hardware right now we are in the discovery stage of things. Once the root cause of the problem is determined. (And I mean something more detailed then EFI and Windows doesn't like one another.) A solution can be worked on. All good things guys. All good things.

TheMasin9
Jan 24, 2006, 11:11 AM
ill stick with vpc for a while, rather than frying a new intel computer

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 11:20 AM
They found a work around. . .
By following these steps, the iMacs that had difficulty with certain EFI modules appear to have been restored to a functioning state:

Tearing apart a new iMac is a workaround??

:eek:

~Shard~
Jan 24, 2006, 11:42 AM
No, I think I meant what I said. Some people got the joke, as obvious as it was.

Ah, well there I go reading too much into things again... :o ;)

Randall
Jan 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
This thread is no longer true, as you can restore your iMac to a working state by doing the procedure mentioned above. Good luck with the dual boot project everyone. It's up to $4,034 for the winner of the contest. http://www.condoski.com/The%20Contest.html From now on if anybody asks why they would want to dual boot with Windows XP, just point them in the direction of this website. While we all have different reasons for trying to achieve this, remember that money talks and ******** walks.

LimeiBook86
Jan 24, 2006, 12:08 PM

Well that's better than having a dead brand-new Intel iMac :D

steveh
Jan 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
Why not? Using EFI is part of using a computer. There is no golden rule that says that you must not use the EFI interface.

Tell that to the courts; don't be disappointed by uncontrollable laughter aimed in your direction.

You'll not be getting any compensation, much less sympathy, for breaking your system.

Apple should rather design their computers in a way that such usage cannot break them.

*That* is hilarious!

Wait. You're serious, aren't you?

You have *waaaaaaaaaay* too little faith in humanity. And coming up a bit short in understanding the consequences of mucking about with the new iMac's firmware; the system turns out to not be unrecoverable.

Read the whole comment string on Nakfull Propoganda.

steveh
Jan 24, 2006, 12:19 PM

Disconnecting the power cord is "tearing apart a new iMac"?

Orlando Furioso
Jan 24, 2006, 12:19 PM

Ahhhh.... you are lovely. =)

Nermal
Jan 24, 2006, 12:25 PM

No, but unplugging the hard drive is.

LimeiBook86
Jan 24, 2006, 12:42 PM
Well you have to tear it apart to disconnect the internal Hard drive...:rolleyes:

EDIT: Damn beat me to it! :eek:

But, yeah I wouldn't wanna open my new iMac,...........not yet anyway.....;)

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 12:45 PM

No..Disconnecting the hard drive is..
You try it without removing faceplates etc..

you guys are too fast!