PDA

View Full Version : Stanford on iTunes

sethypoo
Jan 24, 2006, 09:41 AM
Apple is working with Stanford University to offer all sorts of lectures and seminars given at Stanford for free. Whoa! :eek:

"Stanford on iTunes provides access to a wide range of Stanford-related digital audio content via the iTunes Music Store, Apple’s popular music jukebox and online music store. The project includes two sites:

* a public site, targeted primarily at alumni, which includes Stanford faculty lectures, learning materials, music, sports, and more.
* an access-restricted site for students delivering course-based materials and advising content."

http://itunes.stanford.edu/

The Dalai Lama at Stanford (itmss://deimos.apple.com/WebObjects/ITCSBrowse.woa/wa/Browse/StanfordPublic-1770144-1770146--1770159)

sethypoo
Jan 24, 2006, 09:49 AM
The Steve Jobs commencement! (itmss://deimos.apple.com/WebObjects/ITCSBrowse.woa/wa/Browse/StanfordPublic-1770144-1770146--1770159)

MacBytes
Jan 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: Stanford on iTunes (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060124130353)
Description:: Stanford University and iTunes team up to bring free lectures and seminars to iTunes Music Store users.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

pdpfilms
Jan 24, 2006, 01:22 PM
As it stands right now, I can download lectures as a non-stanford student. I wonder what the tuition-paying students feel about this...

Peace
Jan 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
As it stands right now, I can download lectures as a non-stanford student. I wonder what the tuition-paying students feel about this...

I agree..One would think this would be password protected.

Macmaniac
Jan 24, 2006, 01:52 PM
They have Steve Jobs Commencement Address on VIDEO!!

Downloading now;) Thank you freeness:)

SeRgIo_42
Jan 24, 2006, 02:09 PM
Hi,

Without this link, it would be impossible to discover such
thing through iTunes. Does anyone know how can
we browse this kind of files ? (lectures, speeches, for example).

I mean, try to type "stanford" or even "dalai lama + stanford"
in the search field. There are no results.

:)

angelwatt
Jan 24, 2006, 03:33 PM
They have Steve Jobs Commencement Address on VIDEO!!

Downloading now;) Thank you freeness:)

I saw the same thing, downloading now, along with the Dalai Lama speeches. Free education is lovely.

joepunk
Jan 24, 2006, 03:59 PM
Downloading now. Thanks so very much.

p0intblank
Jan 24, 2006, 05:06 PM
Hi,

Without this link, it would be impossible to discover such
thing through iTunes. Does anyone know how can
we browse this kind of files ? (lectures, speeches, for example).

I mean, try to type "stanford" or even "dalai lama + stanford"
in the search field. There are no results.

:)

Click on the link in the original post and you'll see a link sending you to the iTunes page.

rxse7en
Jan 24, 2006, 05:08 PM
I'ms gettin' me a deegreee, y'all!

gwangung
Jan 24, 2006, 05:14 PM

As an alum, I'd say "meh"

The real value of a Snodfart education is the education outside the classroom, the interaction and connections you make with other students and the relationships you have with your professors.

Of course, the really cool thing I thought about this is all the free music from the artists in residences and student groups....

p0intblank
Jan 24, 2006, 05:14 PM
I love listening to Jobs' commencement speech. :)

jamdr
Jan 24, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'ms gettin' me a deegreee, y'all!
Haha! Seriously tho...;)

mcarnes
Jan 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
Awesome. Thanks!

roadapple
Jan 24, 2006, 05:28 PM
this is going on my resume...

CubaTBird
Jan 24, 2006, 05:31 PM
this is one VERY good speech. that is all i have to say.

Thanatoast
Jan 24, 2006, 05:32 PM
I really hope someone doesn't freak out and shut it all down.

Just listening to guest speakers would be awesome, I'm assuming Stanford draws some pretty big names.

If I were an alum, I'd be proud to have my school do something of this sort. Posting on iTunes for the convenience of the students is a great idea, but keeping it free is above and beyond the call of duty. What a great opportunity. :cool:

In fact, I'm going to write my school right now and mention this program and encourage them to follow in its footsteps.

nagromme
Jan 24, 2006, 05:33 PM
Stanford has had this stuff free for the public for months.

But I didn't know until reading this article that other universities have similar programs with Apple on iTunes--just closed to the public generally.

Stridder44
Jan 24, 2006, 05:39 PM
If every college would do this....that would rock so !#$%!@ much.

/Sacramento State student

iDM
Jan 24, 2006, 05:40 PM
I'm not saying they don't exist but where are these 500 free itunes songs? Am i missing something? Do they mean the ones released on Tuesdays??

pacohaas
Jan 24, 2006, 05:43 PM
I liked this when it was posted a month and a half ago at ars: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051211-5738.html

artistry
Jan 24, 2006, 05:43 PM
This was news last year - where's everyone been? ;)

Stanford is engaging in its public duty to disseminate knowledge, and these lectures aren't the property of fee-paying students but of the intitution and their contributors (the speakers).

Most unis do public lectures, and academics' papers are published in journals and the internet (like one of mine: http://www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk/assets/AbandoningHistory.pdf). It's called research, and it's what universities spend most of their time and money on.

See http://www.apple.com/education/solutions/itunes_u/ for details of the 'iTunes U' service. I'm hoping to make use of it in my institution soon

tk421
Jan 24, 2006, 06:08 PM
Stanford has had this stuff free for the public for months.

But I didn't know until reading this article that other universities have similar programs with Apple on iTunes--just closed to the public generally.

What other universities have iTunes programs? I wish mine would.

iDM
Jan 24, 2006, 06:14 PM
Regardless of how long this has been out as others have posted. This is such an amazing and cool idea. I would never have known about this had this article not been posted on MacRumors so even though it might be old news for some I glad it was posted.

P.S. I am still wondering what was meant when the 500 free songs comment said. Where are they?

arn
Jan 24, 2006, 06:18 PM
um... it's mentioned in the blurb that this has been around since October 2005.

arn

iMacSE500
Jan 24, 2006, 06:21 PM
How come when I click the link, iTunes wont open. And if i click the link with iTunes already open, nothing happens?

CompUser
Jan 24, 2006, 06:22 PM
Its soo sad in the beginning.

I never knew stevie had such a complicated family.

sethypoo
Jan 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
Woohoo! I finally got to submit something! What a feeling.

PlaceofDis
Jan 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
i subscribed to some of those 'casts. thanks for posting it.

Over Achiever
Jan 24, 2006, 06:50 PM
I'm particularly enjoying the lectures on Hurricane Katrina, as a volunteer helping the cleanup in New Orleans within the past few weeks, I find certain disparities discouraging, and I hope these lectures will provide some insight, if not some dialogue.

Great find!

Analog Kid
Jan 24, 2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think they'll mind. You still can't hang a Stanford degree on your wall without footing the bill.

Most universities see some part of their role as a public service, and see some benefit from collaboration and free sharing of information.

Case in point:
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

JDar
Jan 24, 2006, 07:16 PM
Never mind the lectures, check out the music. Some of it is wonderful.

JohnStrass
Jan 24, 2006, 07:21 PM
I love listening to Jobs' commencement speech. :)
Beyond that, the Rev. Scott Sloan is now the Dean of Religion at Stanford (aka Scotty Mclennan). Even an atheist like me can enjoy his thoughtful lectures now! There are two items of his there.

xPismo
Jan 24, 2006, 07:28 PM
Wicked. This is the point of the internet. Made my day. :cool:

boombashi
Jan 24, 2006, 07:42 PM
We all need larger capacity iPods if we want to download the full curriculum of every major university :D

oh yeah and about 200 more hours in the day ;)

angelwatt
Jan 24, 2006, 07:51 PM
Can anybody find the download diploma button?!? ;) joke of course ....

gwangung
Jan 24, 2006, 08:08 PM
Apple is supplying the technology that allows these offerings.

Hm. Ya think that there's some companies that could use this kind of technology in their businesses? :rolleyes:

RBilRamZ
Jan 24, 2006, 08:19 PM
I can't believe nobody has said this yet. If iTunes becomes something used by schools across the country, that will virtually guarantee iTunes will stay dominant over every other online service. Everyone was so concerned when Microsoft announced its new store, but if college kids are directed toward iTunes for school, there is no way they will use other services.
It's great to know iTunes will hold on to it's marketshare. Go stocks go!

ibook30
Jan 24, 2006, 08:45 PM
I'm gonna get soooooo smart for free - god bless the free.

japasneezemonk
Jan 24, 2006, 08:52 PM
This is OLD news.

phgreer
Jan 24, 2006, 09:07 PM
This is an fairly new initiative Apple is doing with Universities. I recently got one of these "Apple Event's in your area" e-mail. Not sure how I got on the list, maybe it was through my local Mac User's group or something. But anyway I got all kind of handouts. The particular seminar I went to was at Furman University in Greenville,SC. I and my wife are self-employed so I registered for the event which was billed as being on Podcasting and blogging but the last part of the seminar was directed at the Furman Administration to sign up for the program. The professors have to agree to create content and I assume this would mean them purchasing a Apple computers and software (they were promoting iLife '06 big time with the new Garageband podcasting feature. They also showed how to use Apple servers. This year they did a beta test with a few universities. I know they mentioned Stanford and Duke but they may have been one or two more.

I think what the public will see on these sites is just a sampling and is intended to whet the appitite of Alumni, potential students,etc. Students will have access to a greater number of lectures and I think they will restrict it so that to access some podcasts you have to be signed up for the particular class. In the first quarter of this year I think they will only accept 100 schools but will increase the number over the year so they are not overwhelmed.

They didn't make anyone sign an NDA so I guess it's ok to mention all this as if anything I am a private educator (both my wife and I offer private instruction in music and technology) and they didn't screen anyone from the general public from getting in.

Let's hope most universities sign up for this as it will be a win-win situation for Apple and the Universities. As far as I know the registration for the Universities to sign up for iTunesU is on a first come first serve basic provided they are quick to provide content. From what I remember this program will be rolled out and offered the Universities in the U.S. over the next two years.

Guess they have found a creative way to get back into the higher education market.

GoCubsGo
Jan 24, 2006, 09:11 PM
This is OLD news.

Old news yes. But not old news to new people. MacRumors gets new members every single day. Just because you were around long enough to see the original post does not mean that there is not value in re-posting it today. If you dislike old news then you need to start going to all of the "hot threads" of way back when and bumping them up so that people like myself and the original poster can check these out.

Who in their right mind would come to MR and do a search for "Stanford on iTunes" threads? Perhaps it takes space that could be used elsewhere, but so do the threads "which iPod, black or white" and then the 15 other threads that are a revision of that "currently my iPod is white, is black better?" "I want a black iPod, but should I get white?"

Get it? The original poster took time to post something that others apparently find worthy, can't we just let him be?

And to the thread starter...thank you! I think I was around when this broke out, but I'm glad you reposted it. Sorry others find it unnecessary.

trainguy77
Jan 24, 2006, 09:15 PM
Never mind the lectures, check out the music. Some of it is wonderful.

Now i have to find all the songs i like.....this could take awhile. Well i am getting started:eek:

sw1tcher
Jan 24, 2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks.

Just watched the commencement speach. Gotta love how Steve was promoting/mentioning Apple every chance he got. ;)

Nice words of wisdom too.

johnpaul191
Jan 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
I don't think they'll mind. You still can't hang a Stanford degree on your wall without footing the bill.

Most universities see some part of their role as a public service, and see some benefit from collaboration and free sharing of information.

Case in point:
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

yes! the MIT one is a perfect example. i am under the impression the students think it is great. what makes a school great is the school itself (professors, facilities, students etc) not their notes.

i know for a fact Apple reps are working with a lot of universities to do this special iTunes hosting of lectures and special content. i randomly had a chat about it with an Apple rep a year or so ago. anyone that went to college knows that just listening to a lecture does not come close to granting you a degree, or a passing grade.

sw1tcher
Jan 24, 2006, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying they don't exist but where are these 500 free itunes songs? Am i missing something? Do they mean the ones released on Tuesdays??

It doesn't say 500 free songs. It says 500 free tracks, as in "lectures, speeches, debates and other university content."

trainguy77
Jan 24, 2006, 10:07 PM
It doesn't say 500 free songs. It says 500 free tracks, as in "lectures, speeches, debates and other university content."

Well there are free songs on there but only ones made by people who go there.

AngeredTree
Jan 24, 2006, 10:11 PM
As a current Stanford student, I can tell you that we all got an email in October about this, but that most people either didn't read the email, or checked out the Stanford iTunes section and never went back.

Most of the music is already easy to get on campus from friends, and although I found the commencement address interesting, most people have already heard enough of it from the school paper.

Frankly, the only way Stanford could generate more interest in the service would be if Class lectures were offered on the store in podcast format, similar to what is done on the Stanford TV channels that we get for free here on campus.

Super Dave
Jan 24, 2006, 10:53 PM
I agree..One would think this would be password protected.

ha! (I'm laughing in an amused but polite way) Has anyone ever seen a security guard at a university lecture? Maybe things are different down in the US…

David

gwangung
Jan 24, 2006, 11:07 PM
As a current Stanford student, I can tell you that we all got an email in October about this, but that most people either didn't read the email, or checked out the Stanford iTunes section and never went back.

Most of the music is already easy to get on campus from friends, and although I found the commencement address interesting, most people have already heard enough of it from the school paper.

Frankly, the only way Stanford could generate more interest in the service would be if Class lectures were offered on the store in podcast format, similar to what is done on the Stanford TV channels that we get for free here on campus.

Heh.

It's not for YOU guys. It was specifically tapped as an alumni outreach tool.

Damn good one, too. Biggest problem for alumni/development groups is to get people's attention and to supply interesting content where the alumni is. This solves a lot of problems as a "cutting edge" internet device....Portable Stanford in a Pocket....

mlrproducts
Jan 25, 2006, 02:51 AM
Anyone notice you can "preview" the whole song, not just limited to 30 secs???

jinzo012
Jan 25, 2006, 04:19 AM
Looks like someone screwed up this one...

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3599/picture16qn.jpg

lol

zac4mac
Jan 25, 2006, 06:39 AM
This is quite cool - did a little digging and found online class info from MIT, Cal Tech and Texas A&M too. Hmmm free knowledge :D

Either direct learning or for reference, this is getting good.

BTW, Fish.avi plays fine in iTunes - not really my style, but the file works...

Z

MacPhreak
Jan 25, 2006, 09:52 AM
This is quite cool - did a little digging and found online class info from MIT, Cal Tech and Texas A&M too. Hmmm free knowledge :D

Care to share? :D :D

jmcma2sy
Jan 25, 2006, 02:59 PM
It's a good idea, but it's quite unethical to crap on all the people who don't have iPods by only offering the service through iTunes.

musiclover137
Jan 25, 2006, 05:59 PM
It's a good idea, but it's quite unethical to crap on all the people who don't have iPods by only offering the service through iTunes.
Anyone can download and use iTunes. The iPod isn't needed unless you want to take the stuff with you. So unethical? No. Good business? Of course.