Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumpat01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Denton, TX
Im not sure where this post should go, so I'm just going to put it in this thread.

I am going to be creating a web page that will host only old apple keynotes speeches and special media presentations. What I need from you guys is your videos. Right now I only have MWBoston 1997, MWSF 2000, and a short clip from what i think is a WWDC where Steve gives OS9s funeral. Any videos that you all have would be greatly apreciated. Please email me or contact me on AIM (both are in my profile) and we can begin to work out how to transfer these things. As soon as I get the first few uploaded and the site created (using iWeb of course), I will post the link or at least, give it out to those who ask. Thank you to anyone who wishes to help.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Ok, until we get anything more permenant sorted, heres my thing I'll be doing. :) This will get the videos to the OP, and mean we can all enjoy some Keynotes.

Here's the guide.

If you have *any* keynotes, or Apple Events which may be of interest to other MR readers and Apple Fans, and feel like being a very very very nice person, then this is for you to read. This is how to share your Apple Keynotes. :D

The Uploaders Guide

1. Head over to http://hosted.filefront.com/MacRumors
2. Have a look, and see if the Keynote/Apple Event you have has already been uploaded. If not - continue to step 3 - we want your Keynote! If yes - sorry, but someone else has already uploaded what you were gonna upload. Thanks anyway.
3. On the top bar at FileFront you should see a login box. You need a username and password for this box. The username is MacRumors. PM me for the password - this is to stop just anyone uploading anything.
4. You should now return to the same page, logged in as MacRumors.
5. Now your logged in, visit http://uploadhosted.filefront.com/ On the right hand side of the page, you should see this:
FileFront%20Begin%20Upload.jpg

Choose your file, and upload away! Don't refresh or close the page!

The Downloaders Guide

1. Visit http://hosted.filefront.com/MacRumors
2. Browse around the keynotes, and hit the download button to get any you want.
3. Watch, and enjoy! :)

I hope some other people upload their Keynotes, and we can get a partially comprehensive downloadable area with Keynotes.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I have a few knocking around on my HD, I could perhaps start with the WWDC 1998, (shortly after the iMac was announced, so this marks the turning point).

Are we keeping to QuickTime though, or can we upload other formats too?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
steve_hill4 said:
Are we keeping to QuickTime though, or can we upload other formats too?

I think you should keep them to QT .mov format. Upload them to the site XIII posted...no use using someone's bandwidth when they're giving it free on filefront!

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
ITASOR said:
I think you should keep them to QT .mov format. Upload them to the site XIII posted...no use using someone's bandwidth when they're giving it free on filefront!
I agree. As soon as I et the password, I'll screen what I have, filtering non-QT and then checking quality too. While it is okay having them up there, no point if the quality is very low.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
ITASOR said:

I thought we should probably just get everything we can up first.. its up to the uploader if they want to. :)

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I was starting to upload MAcWorld Boston 1997, but it's already up there. It's a brilliant Keynote, as the first, (I believe), keynote by Steve since returning to Apple.

Just listen to the booing when he talks of working with Microsoft, and cheers when he talks about how you change the default browser from IE and that the stock bought by Microsoft is non-voting. Also, check out Bill Gates reaction as he live links to the stage and there is some clapping and a lot of booing and hissing. Bill even says some of the best work he has done has been with Steve on the MAc, (pre 1984 and I guess in the short time before the keynote).

A must for all fans of Apple.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Completely agree.

As a new Mac user, ive been going through some of the older keynotes and just learning the history of the company. That Boston keynote seemed like a massive bundle of energy had just been swept through the company. It was surreal.

I just finished watching the 99 Keynote in New York. They unveiled the iBook and Airport. It was hilarious, much more light hearted than the more modern Stevenotes, although the presentation wasnt as slick. The Quicktime TV stuff was incredibly boring, but it was funny to see how amazed people were with the Airport/Wireless thing. Amazing to think how far we've come when we take this technology for granted.

Did anybody back then like the design of the iBook? Could be the benefit of me being a youngin speakin with hindsight, but its just a hideous looking laptop. Looks like one of them VTech things we used to get as kids. I do remember our school getting an iMac in the late 90s and I thought they looked cool, so I presume the response to the iBook was the same. But today, it just seems so.....wack.....seriously lol.

I also checked out the iPod introduction. That was amazing. One poignant quote came from Ives, who said "we designed and built something we hope one day will become an icon...". I mean, how much more visionary can you get? While it was undoubtedly far better than rival players at the time in terms of aesthetics, the current iPod looks like its from a different planet to the 1G. Its been refined beyond belief, to the point where it looks like the perfect product. So sleek. You only realise when you compare it to the older iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.