PDA

View Full Version : Use an iPod, go to jail

MacBytes
Jan 25, 2006, 12:35 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Use an iPod, go to jail (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060125013524)
Description:: Misleading headline and article, implying that iPods endanger us and are a boon to criminals simply because they are portable data storage devices.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Doctor Q
Jan 25, 2006, 01:38 AM
If you store personal data on your iPod, and it gets stolen, criminals could have your personal data! Unlike other portable memory devices. :eek:

iPods can be used by criminals to store information! Unlike other portable memory devices. :eek:

Shame on Apple for endangering us all. I'm glad this danger doesn't apply to keychain flash drives, CD-R's, or any other format on which you can store data.

Gee, what a "brilliant" article. How did this guy get to be a "senior editor", anyway?

nagromme
Jan 25, 2006, 03:45 AM
Well they can't have MY personal data... it's on my iPod on an encrpyted DMG :)

suntzu
Jan 25, 2006, 07:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't a MAC address be changed? I know that it's possible to spoof a MAC address so that you can intercept information on a network. Seems to me if you're going to commit some kind of big crime with an iPod you'd have the skills to change your MAC address.

mkrishnan
Jan 25, 2006, 08:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't a MAC address be changed? I know that it's possible to spoof a MAC address so that you can intercept information on a network. Seems to me if you're going to commit some kind of big crime with an iPod you'd have the skills to change your MAC address.

I'm pretty sure you can even do this on a Mac or other unix computer just using ifconfig (i.e. you don't even need special software to do it). But if you spoof on a wired network at work, I guess you would typically need to spoof another registered MAC address, that was not being actively used. If it's a wireless network, you'd need to not only spoof the MAC but also crack the network, AFAIK. I.E. at my home, you'd have to crack the WPA encryption as well as spoof my MAC address to packet snoop me.

It seems to me that there is nothing particularly special about the iPod... it's just the fact that relatively big HDs have gotten very small.

And P.S. ....on what planet is the writer living that he can get by with a 40GB hard drive and not have trouble with space? I wish! :eek: :( I have a 40GB hard drive too, but I literally cannot wait for my iMac to arrive so that I can offload things from my iBook, because I need more space. :(

shamino
Jan 25, 2006, 07:08 PM
On a typical Windows drive, deleted files aren't really deleted, they are taken out of the master boot record, but the files themselves remain on the hard drive.
The master boot record? Well, here's one journalist that doesn't know the tech about which he writes. A directory structure is not an MBR. The MBR is what contains the partition table and pre-boot software.
The deleted files aren't accessible by users, but the space used can be and often is overwritten by new files. This can cause uneven wear on the drives.
What kind of crack is he smoking? Writing disk blocks does not cause wear, uneven or otherwise. Someone should show him a statistic of how often swap-files and swap-partitions are overwritten on desktop PCs. Flash memory blocks wear out with repeated write cycles, not hard drive sectors.

If the iPod tries to distribute writes across a hard disk surface, excessive wear is not the reason why. It's probably to try and prevent file fragmentation (which would cause excessive head motion, and shorter battery life.) Or it's because the flash-file-system code is being used on both flash and HD models.

But this level of idiocy is what I've come to expect from CNet's reporters.

shamino
Jan 25, 2006, 07:09 PM
How did this guy get to be a "senior editor", anyway?
He's the oldest.

2nyRiggz
Jan 25, 2006, 07:17 PM
He's the oldest.

Thats the only way i see it happened.

Bless

maya
Jan 25, 2006, 07:19 PM
Well they can't have MY personal data... it's on my iPod on an encrpyted DMG :)

Even if you data is encrypted it can be hacked, its only a time barrier these days. ;) :)

False sense of security. :p

ReanimationLP
Jan 25, 2006, 09:05 PM
Own a Zen, Go to Jail.

Own a Dell Jukebox, get your ass laughed at.