PDA

View Full Version : Switched - Love It!

jes13
Jan 14, 2003, 01:47 PM
Hi people, Finally got my new Mac (G4) I love it BUT it doesn't come with a 'how-to' booklet :( How to setup, (had to figure out the address book) - should come with virus protector right? Do I have to us 'finder' to 'find' everything I want? Soooo many questions don't know where to start - NOT sorry I switched yet - - - now I know what you mean by 'it just works'! I LOVE that and the nice 'helpful' popup boxes - don't 'panic' you like (I hate Windows) Windows... Anyway also just letting you all know and IJon thanks for YOUR help... Jeanne :rolleyes:

vniow
Jan 14, 2003, 04:03 PM
Don't worry about viruses, most of them are .exe files (which only Windows can read). There are far fewer viri for OSX than there is for Windows so the majority of Mac users can get away without virus protection software.

Happy switching!http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/grinning.gif

medea
Jan 14, 2003, 06:41 PM
Glad to hear your happy so far, I doubt that will change. As far as viruses go there arent many around for the mac, but if you buy a .mac account you get Virex with it which is a good virus program, you can also buy it seperately and another one is VirusBarrier from www.intego.com

Catfish_Man
Jan 14, 2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by jes13
Hi people, Finally got my new Mac (G4) I love it BUT it doesn't come with a 'how-to' booklet :( How to setup, (had to figure out the address book) - should come with virus protector right? Do I have to us 'finder' to 'find' everything I want? Soooo many questions don't know where to start - NOT sorry I switched yet - - - now I know what you mean by 'it just works'! I LOVE that and the nice 'helpful' popup boxes - don't 'panic' you like (I hate Windows) Windows... Anyway also just letting you all know and IJon thanks for YOUR help... Jeanne :rolleyes:

I'm working on a tutorial, but I don't know if I'll ever finish. I'll post at macrumors if I do.

Cursor
Jan 14, 2003, 06:55 PM
Remember-there's always the "Help" header. And help files on apple's website.

pilotgi
Jan 14, 2003, 07:14 PM
The finder is a good place to "find" files and applications. If you want specific answers to specific questions, just ask. We'll all be happy to help.

Welcome to the world of Macintosh. Have fun!

iJon
Jan 14, 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by jes13
Hey Jeanne, it's Jon.
I'm glad you made the swich. But just like the guys said earlier, no need for Virus protection. But for the paranoid people, I sell .Mac instead of AntiVirus of some sort. You get a lot more with .Mac. They also have a special going, buy a mac and get .Mac for like 60 or 70 dollars. hope you stay happy, youll love it.

iJon

rainman::|:|
Jan 14, 2003, 08:27 PM
The Finder is just the program that lets you interface with the system-- it's PC equivilant is Windows. If you want to search for files, go to the File menu, then Find Files, or do command-F. The Finder has a rather deceptive name; it's simply the front-end user interface.

There's no manual because Apple feels it's intuitive enough to not need one. But their Help system is designed to field all sorts of questions and problems. It can be hard, being used to Windows, to get used to the Mac, but not in a bad way-- sometimes change is really, truely 100% good :)

The main things you really need to know about OS X are: System Preferences, the location of your Applications and Documents folders, what your Home directory is and what it does... And it's contents. That's about it. The more you learn, the more you can customize it, but with hardly any knowledge of the system, you can use it totally efficiently.

Welcome to Macintosh.

:)
pnw

e-coli
Jan 14, 2003, 08:55 PM
"HELP" in the menubar should answer almost every question you have.

Enjoy! Welcome to our world.

Catfish_Man
Jan 14, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
The Finder is just the program that lets you interface with the system-- it's PC equivilant is Windows. If you want to search for files, go to the File menu, then Find Files, or do command-F. The Finder has a rather deceptive name; it's simply the front-end user interface.
pnw

Actually, its equivalent is Windows Explorer. The equivalent to Windows is Mac OS X.