PDA

View Full Version : $5747 (and rising) prize for booting XP on intel Mac

UberMac
Jan 25, 2006, 11:06 AM
This (http://winxponmac.com/The%20Contest.html)site is offering a $5747 reward to the first person booting XP on a Mac!

Sweet mother of Lord! I wish my iMac would arrive, I need to tinker!

jacobj
Jan 25, 2006, 11:43 AM
Damn, I wish I knew what the hell went on in the oerating systems... that'd get me my wished for plasma.

jacobj
Jan 25, 2006, 11:56 AM
It's now at least $5,752 ;)

Winstonp
Jan 25, 2006, 12:32 PM
who are these idiots throwing down hundreds of dollars?

buryyourbrideau
Jan 25, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yea and a lot of people who have been tinkering with booting into XP have ended up with dead intel macs.

No thanks, id like to keep my Macbook healthy.

Maybe in a new OSX update with the release of Vista at the same time, maybe then we will be able to dual boot without hassle.

Until then.

Eff that :mad:

AJ Muni
Jan 25, 2006, 12:46 PM
I think its a good contest, and I'm surprised its gone up that much...IMO i would N-E-V-E-R want xp on my mac...

jeremy.king
Jan 25, 2006, 12:47 PM
While I may not be able to do it, I donated my $9.99 to make sure someone will figure it out. I must use Windows for client work, so having one machine would just absolutely make my life...

balamw
Jan 25, 2006, 12:57 PM
who are these idiots throwing down hundreds of dollars?
There are only 8 idiots, many of whom have links to their sites. The rest of the donations are less than $100. ;)

It is inherently worth $25 to me to be able to boot XP on my next Mac for a few legacy apps, custom apps I need for work and edutainment games for the kiddies. I would pay more than that for Crossover Office or VMWare which probably won't support DirectX for the games.

B

agent76
Jan 25, 2006, 01:08 PM
This (http://winxponmac.com/The%20Contest.html)site is offering a $5747 reward to the first person booting XP on a Mac!

Sweet mother of Lord! I wish my iMac would arrive, I need to tinker!

I could think of nothing worse than having the ability to install one of the worst operating systems I've ever used on my brand new computer.

I can understand that there are people who have work applications and such under the windows platform (which they will no doubt work under vista, which will most likely be an easier install on an intel imac i imagine, if that OS ever comes out) but it'll be a cold day in hell before i let that OS near my mac either.

Spanky Deluxe
Jan 25, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yea and a lot of people who have been tinkering with booting into XP have ended up with dead intel macs.

Who? I've been involved in the efforts to boot Vista and I haven't heard anyone say they've fried their macs because of it.

Gee
Jan 25, 2006, 02:10 PM
Who? I've been involved in the efforts to boot Vista and I haven't heard anyone say they've fried their macs because of it.

http://www.maconintel.com/news.php?article=110

Spanky Deluxe
Jan 25, 2006, 02:32 PM

I stand corrected.

trainguy77
Jan 25, 2006, 07:43 PM
I was at this site back when it was at $101 when it was just opened. And when he was looking for someone to re do the site because it looked like poo on a bun.:eek:

Laser47
Jan 25, 2006, 07:53 PM
Its 6340 Now.

trainguy77
Jan 25, 2006, 07:57 PM
It seams that they have found out how to fix it.:)

EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Jan 25, 2006, 11:34 PM
Why not people just buy a PC and a Mac....don't disgrace the Mac... I thought the saying was "Once you go Mac, you won't go back!" hahah :p

katie ta achoo
Jan 25, 2006, 11:36 PM
Why not people just buy a PC and a Mac....don't disgrace the Mac... I thought the saying was "Once you go Mac, you won't go back!" hahah :p

because of the extra space it'll take up, I guess.
I'd rather have one gorgeous machine boot both than one gorgeous machine boot os x and some ugly beige thing booting xp. :)

Chaszmyr
Jan 25, 2006, 11:55 PM

Why pay for 2 computers when you could pay for just 1?

DrNeroCF
Jan 26, 2006, 12:19 AM
Wait wait wait, what about BeOS? I know it has a boot loader on x86... can you get that to boot XP? I know it had to do some workarounds on a windows box because of protection that M$ used...?

Okay, I admit it, I know nothing about booting, but someone mentioned a linux boot-thingy, I'm just throwing something else out there...

janey
Jan 26, 2006, 03:08 AM
Okay, I admit it, I know nothing about booting, but someone mentioned a linux boot-thingy, I'm just throwing something else out there...
That bootloader would be GRUB - http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

At any rate, I would love to have a dualboot OS X/Windows machine - I'm not a switcher, I'm an adder (in fact, have more non-ppc boxen, but they're all running linux or freebsd) - i have apps and things (especially for school) that I NEED to have Windows XP for, and if you've ever even used MSIE in VirtualPC on a slow iBook G4....i mean, let alone something like vs .net or special software, whatever, jaws/window-eyes, lack of ownership of a Mac version of MATLAB...you get the idea. Plus, it's just convenient for testing & debugging my assignments for my classes while i'm not at home.

Plus, I hate PPC linux, I would love to also have the ability to use Knoppix LiveCDs on a Mac, and things like that.

edit:
I feel half of you guys are just bashing Windows for not so many good reasons...no offense, but please leave the Mac evangelism to csma (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy), and be real. Everyone has different needs/demands, and Windows is a decent OS if it's right for your needs. Please understand that before you start flaming an OS that's frankly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Just my 2 cents.

gekko513
Jan 26, 2006, 03:38 AM
When RedHat makes Linux run on the new Intel Macs, vmware should let you run Windows in Linux on a Mac at native speed. I don't think vmware supports 3D acceleration, though.

janey
Jan 26, 2006, 03:55 AM
When RedHat makes Linux run on the new Intel Macs, vmware should let you run Windows in Linux on a Mac at native speed. I don't think vmware supports 3D acceleration, though.
is there some reason why I cant just use any plain old vanilla x86 Linux distro? (my favourite two being gentoo and ubuntu) i mean, with elilo it should be possible..

and yes, already know about vmware, use it on my PCs, :)

gekko513
Jan 26, 2006, 04:42 AM
is there some reason why I cant just use any plain old vanilla x86 Linux distro? (my favourite two being gentoo and ubuntu) i mean, with elilo it should be possible..

and yes, already know about vmware, use it on my PCs, :)
I don't know. I know that RedHat has made a statement that they will make their distro run on the new Macs. That seems to imply that any old distro won't run. It may be because old distros don't support EFI? Or is elilo an EFI bootloader?

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2006, 07:08 AM
I did $50 and right now they are at $6702 as of midnight CST. :D 10,000 by the end of next week!

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2006, 07:10 AM
I'd rather have one gorgeous machine boot both than one gorgeous machine boot os x and some ugly beige thing booting xp. :)

A-freaking-men. Thanks but I'd rather not carry around 12-13lbs worth of laptop hardware (two laptops.) because someone is being arrogant about their freaking platform.

balamw
Jan 26, 2006, 03:01 PM
I know that RedHat has made a statement that they will make their distro run on the new Macs. That seems to imply that any old distro won't run.
No, there are various 64 bit distros using EFI, inluding Debian.

The statement from Red Hat is encouraging, since it says that they intend to make it happen, but that's all it means. They are willing to spend the effort to make it so.

B

Arcus
Jan 26, 2006, 03:32 PM
Id be happy with MS doing a good version of Virtual PC. I only have one thing that I really need my PC for at home and that a game I play. Its 8 years old and it almost runs playable on my iBook G3 700 in VPC so I expect on the iMac it will be fine.

yankeefan24
Jan 26, 2006, 03:36 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but what exactly does microsoft have to do to get VirtualPC running on the new intel macs? The guy at the apple store told me that VirtualPC was an emulator for an x86 chip and then runs windows on top of OS X. Now that they don't have to emulate an x86 chip, i think it could be pretty easy for microsoft to do this. I can't believe that no one has figured this out yet. Apple must have done something really special to prevent this. I realize that their is the EFI-BIOS difference, and i don't know how that works, but an experiened hacker should be able to get around that. I can't help but wonder how apple made it so hard to get this done.:rolleyes:

balamw
Jan 26, 2006, 03:45 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but what exactly does microsoft have to do to get VirtualPC running on the new intel macs?
VPC is a Microsoft product, since they bought Connectix, and they already make a version for Windows http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/virtualpc/default.mspx. Basically it allows you to run other OSes in a sandbox so you can check for app compatibility etc... e.g. You can use VPC to run Windows 98 or Linux in a virtual machine on a machine that runs XP natively.

There just aren't too many people that have played with the EFI boot process out there yet, give it time.

B

Xephian
Jan 26, 2006, 03:55 PM
Never knew it'd be this hard.

MacRumorUser
Jan 26, 2006, 04:00 PM
Never knew it'd be this hard.

The longer you play around with it, the harder it gets ;)

Maestro64
Jan 26, 2006, 04:16 PM
Well I am betting Apple did something in the hardward to not allow it. Come on Apple has come out publicly and said that they did not mind if people attempted to install windows on a machine. If that is not a defiant challenge I am not sure what is.

It was like go ahead and try, but you will not be successful.

FFTT
Jan 26, 2006, 04:58 PM
The Pot Grew!

$7115

huck500
Jan 26, 2006, 05:08 PM
I could think of nothing worse than having the ability to install one of the worst operating systems I've ever used on my brand new computer.

Really?:confused: Dead puppies is worse...isn't it?

More options is usually a good thing, even if you don't take advantage.

bodeh6
Jan 26, 2006, 06:59 PM
I am surprised that this is so hard to do. I mean with all the hackers and programmers out there should, they should have figured it out. I mean everything except the motherboard is shared with PC/Windows (CPU, GPU, audio, network card). Apple must have did something really special to stop this from happening. I mean we have XBOXs running Linux, PCs running OS X, PSP running something, hackers can do anything.

Phat_Pat
Jan 26, 2006, 06:59 PM
damn over 7k

and if no one gets it it goes to charity

everyone wins!:D (well someone will)

LGRW3919
Jan 26, 2006, 07:12 PM
someone should make a "winxponmac.com $ total" widget!

NeuronBasher
Jan 26, 2006, 07:15 PM
Apple did not do anything "special" to restrict people from installing Windows, but neither did they go out of their way to make it easy. The crux of the problem is that they used EFI and not a traditional BIOS. On top of that, they did not include (because they didn't need it) the optional BIOS compatability mode with their EFI implementation. Nor did they include an EFI shell.

I could go into more detail, but there are far better descriptions of the current situation than I could give. People are working on it, and some progress is being made. It's hard to say how long it will take at this point, and whether or not it will require Vista which has some EFI support in latest builds.

jsfpa
Jan 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
Rather than running a full blown version of Windows, I'd like to see an emulator that will utilize the intel chip but only run "Windows" software in a window under OS X. Just for the the few peaces of software that I can't get for the Mac. I rather not have to dual boot.

Just a thought.:D

yankeefan24
Jan 26, 2006, 07:39 PM
someone should make a "winxponmac.com $ total" widget!

good idea. If i had any clue how to make widgets i would. If someone does make that let me know. I want one.

yankeefan24
Jan 26, 2006, 07:42 PM
Rather than running a full blown version of Windows, I'd like to see an emulator that will utilize the intel chip but only run "Windows" software in a window under OS X. Just for the the few peaces of software that I can't get for the Mac. I rather not have to dual boot.

i don't think that would happen even though it would be cool. With that, you have both OSs running if you want/need them up. Also, if your not using it, its still up (in the backround), and if you don't want to use it, its there anyways.

having it up takes up performance speeds. I would prefer dual boot (or fast os switch) because there are only a few applications i need and alot of games that i want for windows. And if windows would run in the backround, then developers might stop making apps more OS X, and we dont want that.

matperk
Jan 26, 2006, 07:42 PM

http://www.openosx.com/wintel/index.html

Spanky Deluxe
Jan 26, 2006, 07:47 PM

What, you mean like Darwine (http://darwine.opendarwin.org//)?

jsfpa
Jan 26, 2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.openosx.com/wintel/index.html

Has anybody tried this on the Intel machines? I tried it on a G5 a while back. Paint dries faster.

jsfpa
Jan 26, 2006, 07:56 PM
What, you mean like Darwine (http://darwine.opendarwin.org//)?

Looks interesting.
Thanks for the link.

DrNeroCF
Jan 27, 2006, 12:18 AM
Wait, someone's got bochs running universally full speed on an intel mac?

How is this not winning?

Screw dual booting...

RichP
Jan 27, 2006, 09:27 AM
A-freaking-men. Thanks but I'd rather not carry around 12-13lbs worth of laptop hardware (two laptops.) because someone is being arrogant about their freaking platform.

exactly!

NeuronBasher
Jan 27, 2006, 12:31 PM
Wait, someone's got bochs running universally full speed on an intel mac?

How is this not winning?

Screw dual booting...

Bochs is slow. Very, very slow.

slb
Jan 27, 2006, 02:16 PM
In addition, you lose hardware acceleration in virtualization. I want the full shebang.

kgarner
Jan 27, 2006, 02:34 PM
In addition, you lose hardware acceleration in virtualization. I want the full shebang.
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you only lose hardware acceleration if the program has to emulate the hardware? Since the Intel Macs are running on Intel processors, wouldn't that mean that they don't require hardware emulation? And wouldn't that meant that you could run a virtual machine (VPC, VMWare, what have you) at full speed? Personally, I would rather be able to run it in a window under OS X than have to close everything down and reboot. Just my opinion.

Of course, until the virtual machine programs are ready, I hope that they find a way to dual boot. Not that I would use it, but I think the ability would be great.

balamw
Jan 27, 2006, 02:41 PM
Correct me if I am wrong
Consider yourself corrected ;)

The main reason you lose hardware acceleration is that the virtualized machine doesn't actually have direct access to the hardware (mainly the GPU). When it writes to the virtual "video card" it is in fact addressing the VM software. The VM itself is generally told (by the VM software environment) that it is running on fairly generic hardware without acceleration, and uses plain-jane video drivers.

There might ultimately be ways around this with clever use of CoreImage and DirectX type technologies, but this has been an issue with this kind of software since the beginning.

B

kgarner
Jan 27, 2006, 03:27 PM
Consider yourself corrected ;)
I stand corrected then.:D

But I still think that a virtual system will be more useful for a majority of the applications out there. At least any of the ones I think I might need to use. I guess for gamer's a dual boot is the best option.

balamw
Jan 27, 2006, 03:35 PM
But I still think that a virtual system will be more useful for a majority of the applications out there.
Agreed. Most users will be fine with a VM.

Besides gamers, CAD users (a group who have long been neglected on Macs) would greatly benefit from native performance on raw metal. There are also other technical apps that require good 3D performance besides games.

B