PDA

View Full Version : Jobs' new Disney role raises conflict concerns

MacBytes
Jan 25, 2006, 09:34 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Jobs' new Disney role raises conflict concerns (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060125223407)
Description:: Jobs' new role at Disney and Apple's move into video distribution--using Disney content as its first centerpiece--may put Jobs in an uncomfortable position as Apple and its rivals seek to distribute Disney and Pixar films online. "It's like sitting on both sides of the table when negotiating,"

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mr. Anderson
Jan 25, 2006, 09:40 PM
it is a concern - but I think its going to take time to see how well it works or if it doesn't.

The only thing that really worries me is what happens if something happens to Jobs? Scary thought - but if he is such a driving factor in Apple, Pixar and now Disney, he leaves a legacy that won't be capable of passing on to the next generation....

D

winmacguy
Jan 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
It is a concern which I hope is going to be beneficial to Apple in the medium to long term. I am expecting Microsoft to possibly team up with News Corp who are buying up popular websites and who also have their own content obviously but who will most likely use Microsofts DRM rather than Apple's. If Microsoft is able to come out with a decent portable hardware device of its own then I see this as potentially providing competition to the Apple/Disney combo, although I do feel that Steve has a greater more sustainable headstart this time around.

If the internet media circus was a chess board with MS in the Black and Apple on the white I'd put my money on Apple. MS has plenty of brains and time (cash)but they are no longer able to execute the right moves for the greatest effect like they were 10 years ago. It is becoming an interesting game to watch.

esaleris
Jan 25, 2006, 10:28 PM
Yes, this has me very surprised. Typically, there are rules against this. I work at a company where a Board Member recently stepped down because she assumed a role at another company that would violate conflict-of-interest regulations.

jaw04005
Jan 25, 2006, 10:40 PM
I don't see what the big deal is.

Bill Campbell is the Chairman of Intuit and an Apple Board Member. Does Quicken only ship on Apple Computers? No.

Aylwin Lewis is the CEO of K-Mart and a Disney Board Member. Is KMart the sole distributor of Disney movies? No.

Larry Ellison is CEO of Oracle and a former Apple Board Member. Did Apple and Oracle strike some exclusive technology agreement for Mac OS X? No.

The fact is, most board members of any large publicly-traded company are going to be big shots of some type (CEO, President, etc) of another company. It's acceptable and normal in the corporate world.

If you think Steve Jobs is going to be hands on with Disney's day to day activities, you're crazy—his loyalty has always been with Apple. Pixar was just an investment.

winmacguy
Jan 25, 2006, 10:41 PM
Yes, this has me very surprised. Typically, there are rules against this. I work at a company where a Board Member recently stepped down because she assumed a role at another company that would violate conflict-of-interest regulations.
My dad used to have to sell his shares in certain companies if the company he was working for was doing that companies audit, although I think this is a fairly standard practice in that you can't audit a company that you have a vested interest in.

Edit: I think it is being made out as a big deal by Cnet - to dish out dirt on Apple and because other companies might have issues about the percieved effect that Steve Jobs could have at Disney with regards to Apple getting sole and exclusive content from Disney and its subsidyaries to put onto the Music store for iPod users since every other company wants Apple to 'open up' the iPod ahead of agreements that HP, Google or Microsoft might want to set up with Disney. Even though Steve might get 'excluded' from the board room during certain discussions I am sure that the effect of his legendary RDF might linger long enough to sway the outcome of a 'sensitive' desision.

dejo
Jan 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
If you think Steve Jobs is going to be hands on with Disney's day to day activities, you're crazy...

Yeah, he's just a board member. If he starts getting very hands-on, the CEO and the rest of the Disney executive are going to get annoyed.

bousozoku
Jan 25, 2006, 11:17 PM
It might be interesting to see Disneyland/Buena Vista Records make a comeback as the un-record company selling music for less and giving more to the artists but then again, it's Disney. What am I thinking? :D

It's slightly possible Steve Jobs will have an effect on how things will work but that's very unlikely unless Mr. Iger also replaces the current corporate culture with something less plastic.

autrefois
Jan 26, 2006, 12:35 AM
I didn't realize Steve used to be on the board of the Gap. Now he's on the board of Disney. Makes sense.

winmacguy
Jan 26, 2006, 01:14 AM
I didn't realize Steve used to be on the board of the Gap. Now he's on the board of Disney. Makes sense.
I remember it being mentioned a couple of years ago that Steve was on the board of Gap.:)

solvs
Jan 26, 2006, 01:58 AM
Yeah, he's just a board member. If he starts getting very hands-on, the CEO and the rest of the Disney executive are going to get annoyed.
Well, he is one of the largest (if not the largest) shareholders now in this division. But I'll bet it's more for negotiational (what, that's a word) purposes. It is a nonissue though. Sony's music service sells stuff from other companies. WalMart sells iPods even though their music store doesn't work with it. This is the way companies work. They don't always play favorites, especially when it comes to content delivery where it's not so much of a competition.

CNET = teh suck.

fixyourthinking
Jan 26, 2006, 07:04 AM
In case the writer of this article isn't aware ... Apple sells Sony stuff in their stores ... Sony is a competitor on every level with Apple ... no conflict of interest.

Griffin sells FM radio tuners for the iPod ... no conflict of interest with them. They are sold right next to Apple's new FM radio and at a cheaper cost.

Further, when I was in Sony Metreon recently, I saw iPods ...

Point is ... business men (and retailers) make deals, sell services and products that produce cash flow ...

Any network or media company would be foolish not to join the revolution of media that Apple is bringing to Audio & Video content distribution.

I have noticed that NBC is promoting iTunes with every episode of Law & Order almost every other commercial break now ... but Disney/ABC is the one with the most content on iTunes and does no promotion.

cr2sh
Jan 26, 2006, 09:09 AM
OMG! A CEO of a computer company is now a CEO of a movie company.

On a side note, 9000 people will die from AIDS today.

24C
Jan 26, 2006, 09:20 AM
Doesn't this now mean more Disney games will play on a mac in the future ;)

svenr
Jan 26, 2006, 02:22 PM
OMG! A CEO of a computer company is now a CEO of a movie company..No, he's not. At least not if you referred to Jobs.