Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today re-released its EFI Firmware 2.9 update for 2011 MacBook Air models after the original EFI update appeared to be causing trouble for many MacBook Air users.

The update, originally released on July 15 to address sleep/wake issues, caused some MacBook Air machines to shut down completely for several hours. On other machines, the update simply refused to install. Today's re-released software, labeled 2.9.1, presumably fixes these issues, allowing the update to be properly installed.

efiupdate29.jpg
The MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.9.1 is available in the Mac App Store for 2011 MacBook Airs and can also be downloaded from the Apple Support site.

Article Link: Apple Launches New EFI Update 2.9.1 For 2011 MacBook Air to Solve Installation Problems

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
So weird, even though updates generally mean bugs, I'm always jealous when there isn't an update to my specific piece of hardware. :D

blue-fireball

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2014
Updated the firmware. System Information now reads as Boot ROM Version: MBA41.0077.B11 meaning that this is the same firmware that was supposed to be released in update 2.9 and it is only the installation process that has been fixed.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your face is inaccurate! :eek: ;) :D

You are one of the first to actually notice that. :)

For a proper fake edit signature, there shouldn't be a hyperlink in it. Only the editor of the post can see the hyperlink. Still nice to know that the fake edit signature has a few followers.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
For a proper fake edit signature, there shouldn't be a hyperlink in it. Only the editor of the post can see the hyperlink. Still nice to know that the fake edit signature has a few followers.

Ahh... haha thanks, didn't realize that. Here I thought I was clever.

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
It worked (!) on both an 11 and 13 inch MacBook Air. Now reading a Boot ROM of B11.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
So who's going to be the guinea pig for this one?

I'm wondering myself. I have some slight, but not much hope it will do something to alleviate my mid 2011 MBA CPU from getting so hot I'm worried it will melt the keyboard and the fan from spinning so fast it's damaging my hearing.

It did none of these things before Mavericks, and still runs ice cold under Win7 and Debian. They're doing it on purpose.

Oh FSCK IT. I'll be the stupid pig. Here goes...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I went ahead and did it and I'm not bricked. I absolutely LEFT IT ALONE 'till it came back up to the regular login screen, as was pointed out in the instructions. I'm too tired to test it out much though. Maybe someone else can do that. My fan is quiet now though, heck it would already by spinning up before I could finish this post so maybe they got a clue from some of my previous venomous posts directed at Apple.

chekk

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
Works a treat!

This update immediately fixed the slow-to-wake issue I had since buying my MBA. I am finally getting the 'instant on' performance Jobs bragged about when he announced the 2nd-gen MBA in 2010.

I bought my MBA in 2011, and while I love the machine (it's still my daily driver), I have always been disappointed in the wake-from-sleep times. Even after the screen turned on and displayed the password prompt, I would have to wait another 5-15 seconds before the password field surround turned blue. Even then, sometimes some keystrokes would get lost and I'd have to re-enter my password. Based on some forum reading back in the day I had attributed it to having FileVault turned on.

While I wish this had been fixed earlier, I'm sure glad that Apple is still pushing out updates to machines that were purchased years ago!

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Updated on my 13" i7

Works like a charm, like it always did.

Maybe it is because I had a crappy PC for so many years, but this computer is blazingly fast since day 1, 3 years ago.

Heck, the OS will eat RAM as much as it can, and that's ok because swap is always minimal (thank you mavericks!), and I feel no difference in performance when all RAM is being used.

Great machine. Best laptop ever, indeed. I believe that it will take me more 5 years to update to a new MBAir, but Apple clearly gained my trust and admiration because of this computer.

Attachments

• Captura de tela 2014-08-01 14.43.44.png
    Captura de tela 2014-08-01 14.43.44.png
    469.9 KB · Views: 200

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
I threw caution to the wind and upgraded.

Boot ROM now reads B11, but I don't see much difference.

MBAir is still slow to wake from sleep when it's been on battery, although it may be a little faster than before. It still takes approx 15 sec to wake up and allow me to enter my password.

More annoying is that it STILL wakes up with no wi-fi selected, although it doesn't happen all the time now.

Wifi speed from my bedroom is still slower than before 10.9.4.

So, it's a little better than before the firmware upgrade, but not by much.

Much WORSE than before 10.9.4 and the original 2.9 firmware fiasco started.

Not very happy with Apple right now :mad:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I threw caution to the wind and upgraded.

Boot ROM now reads B11, but I don't see much difference.

MBAir is still slow to wake from sleep when it's been on battery, although it may be a little faster than before. It still takes approx 15 sec to wake up and allow me to enter my password.

More annoying is that it STILL wakes up with no wi-fi selected, although it doesn't happen all the time now.

Wifi speed from my bedroom is still slower than before 10.9.4.

So, it's a little better than before the firmware upgrade, but not by much.

Much WORSE than before 10.9.4 and the original 2.9 firmware fiasco started.

Not very happy with Apple right now :mad:

It's almost like they are trying to force people to upgrade by deliberately slowing older machines down ;)

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It's almost like they are trying to force people to upgrade by deliberately slowing older machines down ;)

I agree. I think middle-upper management has a hand in either deliberately doing this - or they just don't care when they accidentally break older machines a bit and don't put very much effort into fixing to try to encourage upgrading.

That being said, this EFI update seems to have fixed my fan from screaming like a jet engine all the time, and has also sped up waking from sleep considerably so I'll throw a "thank you" out to the engineer at Apple who managed to fix this - while having to deal with his pointy haired boss who was hindering his every step.

If they really want me to upgrade, they need to throw me a bone. A specific bone: rMBA. Nothing else will satisfy.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
Ok, I couldn't wait any longer. Although I couldn't tell much difference, the update went without a hiccup. :)

I didn't have the slow wake or fan issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.