PDA

View Full Version : Finder Software Engineer job opening

MacBytes
Jan 26, 2006, 10:24 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: Finder Software Engineer job opening (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060126112451)
Description:: The Finder team is seeking an energetic, motivated software engineer to help develop next generation versions of the Finder, the notorious file browser for Mac OS X.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

sunfast
Jan 26, 2006, 10:43 AM
I hope they find a good one - finder is in real need of some love and attention....

me_94501
Jan 26, 2006, 11:01 AM
Does anyone else find it funny that they describe the Finder as being "notorious"?

"The Finder team is seeking an energetic, motivated software engineer to help develop next generation versions of the Finder, the notorious file browser for Mac OS X."

szark
Jan 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I burst out laughing when I read that. :D

However, it makes me concerned that they might not have improvements completed before the release of Leopard.

Then again, Steve can be a very effective slave driver. :cool:

ppc_michael
Jan 26, 2006, 11:15 AM
Does anyone else find it funny that they describe the Finder as being "notorious"?

That made me laugh too. I guess notorious doesn't have to mean bad, just well-known. My guess would be that English is not the writer's first language. ;)

Doctor Q
Jan 26, 2006, 11:23 AM
They want an experienced C++ programmer who knows the STL and Boost libraries.

But why does it say "shipped shrink-wrapped products" under the preferred experience? It certainly doesn't mean that this programmer will be assigned to hand-package Finder.app in boxes for retail stores. But what does it mean? That they want somebody with the experience of delivering a finished product commercially? Why would that be part of the job?

darh
Jan 26, 2006, 11:33 AM

But why does it say "shipped shrink-wrapped products" under the preferred experience? It certainly doesn't mean that this programmer will be assigned to hand-package Finder.app in boxes for retail stores. But what does it mean? That they want somebody with the experience of delivering a finished product commercially? Why would that be part of the job?

finder for windows!! :p

guifa
Jan 26, 2006, 11:54 AM

That means that they want someone who has worked to create a product for a major software producer eg one that does physical sales, not just on-line. It doesn't mean that they want someone who has actually done that themselves.

nagromme
Jan 26, 2006, 01:16 PM
Of course they'll keep working on the Finder, that's no surprise, but it's good to see them so openly and directly addressing what is needed. (Actually... I'm not sure how being THAT open helped the job posting :p )

Interesting coincidence: a person just appeared on Monster.com listing "Finder Software Engineer" as his experience. (j/k)

Jimmni
Jan 26, 2006, 01:22 PM
They have a Finder team? What exactly have they been doing for the past 3 years? Playing with Interface Builder?

mvc
Jan 26, 2006, 04:26 PM
They have a Finder team? What exactly have they been doing for the past 3 years? Playing with Interface Builder?

"Team", in this case, is clearly a euphemism for a dead goat, a deranged newt and 3 colourblind guinea pigs trapped in a soggy cardboard box inside the parking garage at 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino.

shadowfax
Jan 27, 2006, 01:55 AM
"Team", in this case, is clearly a euphemism for a dead goat, a deranged newt and 3 colourblind guinea pigs trapped in a soggy cardboard box inside the parking garage at 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino.
I always wondered why they changed finder to metal, and now I know....