Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
How do I go about getting permission to post URLs? I often find relevant things that I know would help someone, but can't link it - turns to a bunch of stars.

Also, using Google URL Shortener triggers the stars as well, but I really like to use it to keep my posts more concise.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You don't need permission to post a link, however new members who start posting links raises flags, but its not prohibited.

Personally, while not against the rules, I'd avoid link shorteners, some of them are not permitted because spammers used them and so you will see ****** when using one that is been prohibited.

Just click on the insert link icon, add the url, or just paste the url into the post
mr_links.png

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
This will normally happen when you use a URL that we have blacklisted due to abuse.

We also commonly block URL shorteners due to abuse. This is because they can be used to bypass our blacklists, can mislead people or hide malicious content, and because there is almost never any advantage of using them over the original URL. If you want to make the text of your post shorter, you can specify some link text, for example: MacRumors forums (generated by: [URL="https://forums.macrumors.com"]MacRumors forums[/URL]).

If there is a URL that is blacklisted that you think shouldn't be, you can send us a message with the Contact form and we will review it.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
You don't need permission to post a link, however new members who start posting links raises flags, but its not prohibited.

I'd like to add to this to say that the reason we ask that only established members post links is that experience has shown that new accounts or accounts with few posts that posts links, are almost always spam or shill accounts. So in the end, it's safer for members who haven't posted here much to avoid posting links right off the bat.

I realise this isn't exactly what the OP was asking about, but thought I'd mention it for clarification.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone. So to be clear - are only specifically white listed sites allowed to be posted, or is it everything is allowed unless black listed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.