Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacSpeedZone posts their benchmarks for the Dual Core Intel iMac and claims that Macworld's initial test were misleading:

This is where the Macworld "First Lab Tests" article falls a little flat ... obscuring the processor capacity vs processor usage problem inherent with mutiprocessor machines (or multi-core ... same difference). Using Macworld's logic we could argue, given the data above, the Quad G5 Power Mac is only 14% faster when running some of Apple's own applications. We think that this is misleading, as we pointed out.

They post a comparison chart, taking into account percentage of processor usage as a guide.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Well I have my 20 in Duo waiting for me at home with 256 VRAM and 2 GB of RAM and I'll be picking it up tomorrow so I'll see first hand how it stacks up to my Rev B iMac. One thing I found somewhat interesting was the game performance. The Duo had 2 more FPS, not really impressive, unless the game was running under Rosetta. If that's the case there may be a huge jump once the game is Universal. I can't wait to see how WoW will run on my new iMac once it's Universal. If the test done earlier are true then I may have a hard time turning WoW off (not that I don't already:eek: ;) ).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The G5 is still a great CPU (while we await Intel's next generation chips this summer/fall) but it's important to be intelligent about comparing speeds. The article makes a good point about that, and about possible software bottlenecks that are making Intel Macs test slower than they might. (And no, they're not REALLY saying a Core Duo rivals a quad G5.)

"old applications, that do not run natively on the Intel processor, run about half as fast as they would run on a G5 machine"

Sounds like an older-that-a-year-ago G4 user like me will have few gripes during the (temporary) Rosetta phase :)

"There are precious few applications that take complete advantage of multiple processors"

True--but ALL apps take "INcomplete" advantage: if nothing else, OS X will give the current foreground app a CPU to itself, moving the OS, other apps, and background processes to the other CPU(s). And many single-CPU apps call on OS X features that themselves ARE multi-CPU aware.

But I like seeing consumer machines go dual core: it means app developers (and Apple) have incentive to do even more with multiple CPUs, for even more kinds of app.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Josh396 said:
One thing I found somewhat interesting was the game performance. The Duo had 2 more FPS, not really impressive, unless the game was running under Rosetta.

InsideMacGames and TheMacObserver have had some game tests lately, and other reviews have mentioned games too. Results vary, but it sounds like across the board--from older games right up to Doom 3--Rosetta delivers 75%-85% of G5 speed. That ain't bad, and it means older games can run smoothly without ever needing to be ported.

It also shows the better GPU found in the new iMacs. Given that, a straight comparison can't be made to the G5 iMacs. (But comparisons can be made to Rosetta games vs. updated Universal versions.)

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
One thing i never understood if im doing something processor intensive

i might only see it at 80% usage or something but it takes a long time. why doesnt it use 100% and get it done faster

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Josh396 said:
Well I have my 20 in Duo waiting for me at home with 256 VRAM and 2 GB of RAM and I'll be picking it up tomorrow so I'll see first hand how it stacks up to my Rev B iMac. One thing I found somewhat interesting was the game performance. The Duo had 2 more FPS, not really impressive, unless the game was running under Rosetta.
From the website:
Scores in dark orange are from applications that run natively on both Intel Macs and G5 Macs
The game benchmark is in white, so I guess that means it was run in Rosetta.

What's striking to me is that all but two of the native apps are at least twice as fast on the Intel and a couple are nearly 3x faster. One is close to 2x (90%) faster and one is 67% faster. So perhaps Stevie-boy didn't lie after all.

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
adamfilip said:

i might only see it at 80% usage or something but it takes a long time. why doesnt it use 100% and get it done faster
Could be bottlenecked by the hard drive or RAM.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
When running the QuickTime encodes the Power Mac Quad G5/2.5GHz took 86.25 seconds.The Intel iMac Core Duo 2.0GHz took 176.60 seconds

The article is rubbish - they start out comparing the intel iMac Core Duo 2.0GHz against the Power Mac Quad G5/2.5GHz. Now I thought that this was interesting, until you get down to the actual comparisons at the bottom and they are then comparing the timings between the iMac G5/1.8GHz and the iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz.

What the hell happened to the Power Mac Quad G5/2.5GHz that the article started out with. It should have been this that they used in the comparison chart at the bottom of the article and not the iMac G5/1.8GHz.

jope76

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2005
simie said:
The article is rubbish - they start out comparing the intel iMac Core Duo 2.0GHz against the Power Mac Quad G5/2.5GHz. Now I thought that this was interesting, until you get down to the actual comparisons at the bottom and they are then comparing the timings between the iMac G5/1.8GHz and the iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz.

What the hell happened to the Power Mac Quad G5/2.5GHz that the article started out with. It should have been this that they used in the comparison chart at the bottom of the article and not the iMac G5/1.8GHz.

Why? They are comparing two different versions of the same computer that sells for the same price. It tells us what the switch to intel did for the iMac.
The Quad G5 was just to prove their point a little more.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
jope76 said:
Why? They are comparing two different versions of the same computer that sells for the same price. It tells us what the switch to intel did for the iMac.
The Quad G5 was just to prove their point a little more.

I know what you are saying and I agree with you but the article states at the top.

We are pleased to report that our testing results show that the new Dual Core Intel iMac, which clocks in at 2X 2.0GHz is almost as fast as the current high-end Power Mac that has two Dual Core G5 processors running at 2.5GHz.

Surly the comparison should have been against iMac G5 - Intel iMac and the Quad. We would then not only see how much faster the Intel iMac is over the G5 iMac but also how fast it is against the G5 quad.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
To even BE comparing an Intel iMac to a Dual G5 is amazing in itself..

But the article confirms my own benchmarking I've been doing between my Intel iMac and my Dual G5..
Sorry folks,when all apps have been ported to Intel taking Rosetta out of the picture,the new Intels indeed will stand up on their own right..

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Peace said:
To even BE comparing an Intel iMac to a Dual G5 is amazing in itself..

But the article confirms my own benchmarking I've been doing between my Intel iMac and my Dual G5..
Sorry folks,when all apps have been ported to Intel taking Rosetta out of the picture,the new Intels indeed will stand up on their own right..

Have you posted your benchmarks somewhere? If not, please do!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
simie said:

If you think about it, you'll realise they were doing that to point out the problems in the macworld benchmarks - using the same methodology, they could show that the Quad was only 14% faster than the Intel iMac, which was patently wrong.

See, it's like this - the Quad has 2x the cores in the Intel iMac, the Intel iMac has 2x the cores in the G5 iMac. Doing something that taxes only one of the Intel cores and comparing it to the G5 is the same as doing something that taxes only two of the cores on the Quad and comparing it to a dual core machine.

Then they go on to do the real comparisons, with the previous version of the iMac. Everyone is comparing the new iMacs with the G5, so doing so is perfectly fine.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
nospleen said:
Have you posted your benchmarks somewhere? If not, please do!

Keeping with my scatter-brained way of doing things my benchmarks have been posted all over the place :)

But if I can be shown a topic where benchmarks ONLY are posted I would be happy to do so..

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
adamfilip said:

It's mostly the software that doesn't use it completely. Once the software is optimized we should see those iMacs surpass the 2.5GHz Powermacs. And when Merom comes (at that time the software will most likely be optimized) those apps should be at least 150% as fast as the current G5 Powermacs. The Conroe and Woodcrest cpus will probably beat the G5 by 200-250% in speed.
Now who was saying again that Apple should've stayed with IBM? :rolleyes:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
D'OH! I just noticed the title of this topic!!
I work a lot a just had my first cup of java..:D

Here's a couple benchmarks.Keep in mind my way of benchmarking is tuned more toward the average user experience..

Intel iMac Dual-Core 1.83 w/2gigs ram X1600 video w/128megs..HEY! it was free from the ADC :) vs my rev.B Dual 2.3 G5 Powermac w/4 gigs ram Radeon 9650 video card.

I copied a 3.03 gig zip of .WAV files.180 minutes,14 songs ,from a DVD to the desktop..

Approx 8-10 minutes for each machine.

Unzip the file..
Approx 5 minutes for the G5 and 4 minutes for the iMac.

I set iTunes to encode AAC 128kbps as the default.

Drag and Drop the songs to iTunes library

Approx 3 minutes for each machine.
Convert to AAC 128kbps.
Approx 3 minutes @ 30X for the Dual G5
Approx 5 minutes @20.5X for the Intel iMac.

Thats one..

iMovie :
Connected a Canon optura 60 and recorded 2 minutes worth of wide-screen native .dv

Export to .dv :
G5 took about 3 minutes as did the Intel iMac
here's the interesting part
Export to iPod
G5 took about 5 minutes
Intel iMac took about 3 1/2..

More later since I'm moving various systems around the house..

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
It's hard enough to compare to processors with each other, but two incompatible processors coupled with different numbers of available cores? I think it resolves down into a perception argument.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Finally!

Geez, you'd think benchmarking was rocket science because no one seems to know what they're doing. I expected MacWorld to do a good job, and they seem be be technically accurate, but MacSpeedZone makes some excellent points that you'd expect a good magazine staff to know.

The iMac Duo has two processors, and at least some tests need to take this into account. For example, I currently have iTunes, Safari, Quark 6.5, Entourage, InDesign, Photoshop, iBiz, iCal, Address Book, Word, Excel, Preview and Firefox open. While I'm waiting for Quark to output a postscript and distiller to make a PDF, I often switch to Entourage to check my email accounts, and then switch over to Photoshop to check a file. There are no benchmarks for what I expect is pretty typical usage, but I know from experience that dual processors (or cores) make a big difference in speed and responsiveness.

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Please let's try to be smart before posting

:rolleyes:
simie said:

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Have you heard about this little thing called sarcasm?

;)
simie said:
I know what you are saying and I agree with you but the article states at the top.

Surly the comparison should have been against iMac G5 - Intel iMac and the Quad. We would then not only see how much faster the Intel iMac is over the G5 iMac but also how fast it is against the G5 quad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.