PDA

View Full Version : The Bug in Microsoft's Ear

MacBytes
Jan 26, 2006, 05:30 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: The Bug in Microsoft's Ear (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060126183043)
Description:: The software giant is mulling its own digital device that adds gaming to music and video, in an effort to compete with Apple's iPod empire

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

macnulty
Jan 26, 2006, 07:26 PM
MS is dusting off its ugly stick for an unimaginative wma player with every conceivable feature with a one pound battery that will last a month between charges.

It is interesting speculation considering that MS was unable to get a sweetheart deal from RIAA during recent negotiations.

24C
Jan 27, 2006, 02:47 AM
I think MS will have to look at this strategy, because the other media players are scrabbling with bit part market share, and there is no unifying force.
Recent stats like ITMS/iTunes is taking x % of internet traffic from nothing in a short period of time and the linking of the 5G iPod with video content from others outside Apples' immediate influence, like Viacom, who had allied themselves to other schemes. The 'always in the news' Steve Jobs, who now has a slice of Disney (more desirable iPod content), must be sending alarm bells to MS HQ.

LethalWolfe
Jan 27, 2006, 03:29 AM
It is interesting speculation considering that MS was unable to get a sweetheart deal from RIAA during recent negotiations.

Many places in Hollywood have been leery of M$ because they are afraid of losing control/being held hostage if they get into bed w/M$. But I think that attitude is slowing shifting as M$ is starting to be more compromising as it sees other companies (Apple, Google, etc.,) start to pass them up.

Lethal

SiliconAddict
Jan 27, 2006, 08:21 AM
MS is dusting off its ugly stick for an unimaginative wma player with every conceivable feature with a one pound battery that will last a month between charges.

Umm dude Microsoft's hardware is pretty damn good. I've used their routers before. I have a Microsoft keyboard, mouse, and force feedback sidewinder. Apple SHOULD be nervous about this because up til now Microsoft was content to let other's dabble in the hardware market. If they are going to enter the hardware market I fully expect that we are about to see the Microsoft Music Store start to get promoted heavily. My guess is this device could launch around the same time as Vista. No software installs necessary. If you have Vista plug it in and go.

ITR 81
Jan 27, 2006, 10:56 AM
Umm dude Microsoft's hardware is pretty damn good. I've used their routers before. I have a Microsoft keyboard, mouse, and force feedback sidewinder. Apple SHOULD be nervous about this because up til now Microsoft was content to let other's dabble in the hardware market. If they are going to enter the hardware market I fully expect that we are about to see the Microsoft Music Store start to get promoted heavily. My guess is this device could launch around the same time as Vista. No software installs necessary. If you have Vista plug it in and go.

I haven't used a MS router but I thought Linksys made them under the MS logo.

I do remember the MS mouse being a Logitec product for sometime...not sure if it still is. I think I have a few old MS mice lying around and they all have Logitec written on the bottom of them. I have no idea who makes their sidewinder I just remember how bad it was when it first came out...might be alot better now. But I still prefer CH joysticks.

I owned both the orig sidewinder gamepad(barely worked) and joystick(worked abit better but felt like it was always going to break). This was back in my old Win95-Win98SE days.

impierced
Jan 27, 2006, 10:56 AM

Really? Never did much care for their keyboard and mice, they feel clunky and oversized. Though I'll admit that I don't like Apple mice either and always purchase Logitech mice.

Microsoft makes routers? I did a quick Google and the first link on "Microsoft Router" search was a tech forum bashing their routers. The first review I found rated them 10, in a 1-10 for the top routers:

Top 10 802.11g Wireless Broadband Routers for Home (http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessrouters/tp/80211ghome.htm)

You're making comments about a completely unreleased product on an unreleased OS buying from an unreleased store as if it were the best experience anyone will ever have. IF true, Microsoft will eat its own and it's Real and Napster should be nervous.

macnulty
Jan 28, 2006, 07:50 AM

Dude, mice keyboards and routers? products that haven't shipped yet? we're talking coolness, fashonable and available. Let's face it, MS has Pod envy, yet the problem is if iPod sales trend continue there will be little room for a MS wma player regardless if it is as cool as a keyboard or router. To compete with Apple it would have to crack the bond between iPod and iTunes (one reason why Apple will keep a death grip on iPod/iTunes). If MS can't do that, Creative is screwed.

My initial comment concerned the penchant of many companies (including MS) to load up on features and sacrifice aesthetics. Features and ugliness do not necessarily forego quality, e.g. Woody Allen.