Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixelpeeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I have a chance to buy a 3 year old 15" powerbook g4, 867, 512, combo, 40 gig for 800.00. Said was throwing in extras. Also I am looking for a notebook that can handle photoshop. I know it could probably use a ram upgrade to be better. This notebook is in good condition, and supposedly has 7 months of apple care left on it. Is this a good deal considering that I can get a 12" refurb for 1099.00?

BlueT

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
That's a terrible deal. I'd say a fairer price is $500-600. But considering the laptop's age and unknown history, it's cheaper to buy a new one. Just think how much it'd cost to replace the logic board, hard drive, or battery on a 3 year old machine and add that to the offer price (because one or all three will fail soon). That's the real cost of buying that machine. In addition, a refurb from Apple includes iLife 05, Tiger, and a guaranteed 1-3 year warranty.

pixelpeeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Thats kind of what I was was thinking. Hard to buy or sell used. The typical it is worth more because they have it,, But if it were yours, it isn't worth crap syndrome. I wouldn't be so hesitant if it were more like what you said 5 or 600 tops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.