Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Guys, I was considering of purchasing a keyboard to accompany my PB. Do any of you recommand any particular keyboard? I was looking at probably the Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard or the Apple keyboard. However, for those who have a logitech keyboard, I have a few questions. What function does the windows button serve as on a Mac? Does it serve as a Command button? Is there a dedicated button to eject CDs? Do all the hotkeys on the keyboard actually work on the Mac?
Many Thanks
Hui Lim

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well you can't get much better than a genuine Apple keyboard, unless you're looking for specific features like split keyboard (apple did this once, i wish they would again) or the special keys... tho the function keys can be programmed for whatever you want them to be...

expensive but really nice to have the genuine apple product on your desk :) plus apple puts a lot of time into making their keboards work just right...

:)
pnw

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The Apple keyboard works okay and looks great. I was hoping to try a Logitech keyboard as I love their mousies.

Stay away from MacAlly as they're not shielded well.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I use a Microsoft (I know...) Office Keyboard with my iBook and it works very well. The software is OSX-compatible and I like the scroll wheel. Very good for scrolling through Macrumors threads.

The Pro Keyboard is really nice, though. I like the action more than I like the action on my Office KB. Office KB was about $25 vs $60 for the Pro KB.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
I have the logitech internet navigator, and I love it. I personally like the wrist rest, apple does not include one. Also, the navigation buttons and scroll wheel are very handy, otherwise my left hand sits idle and my right does all the mousing. THe media buttons are cool, but there is a noticeable lag between pressing the button and iTunes taking action. One gripe, the F keys are defaulted to special lotitech commands, and you have to press an F lock key to use your F keys. It is essentially the same as their elite keyboard, but different color, and volume buttons instead of a volume wheel. Big whoop. This one cost less. I suggest trying them out in person, some keyboards might not "feel' right

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
guys, i have finally purcahsed an apple keyboard off ebay and it is defintely great, excellent to type on etc. Just one quick question though, how do you program hot keys (i.e. the f keys, e.g. F1, F2, F3)
Thanks
Hui

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by hui__lim
guys, i have finally purcahsed an apple keyboard off ebay and it is defintely great, excellent to type on etc. Just one quick question though, how do you program hot keys (i.e. the f keys, e.g. F1, F2, F3)
Thanks
Hui

In 9 it was easy. Alas, in X I don't think they included that option. :mad:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I use a Microsoft (I know...) Office Keyboard with my iBook and it works very well. The software is OSX-compatible and I like the scroll wheel. Very good for scrolling through Macrumors threads.

The Pro Keyboard is really nice, though. I like the action more than I like the action on my Office KB. Office KB was about $25 vs $60 for the Pro KB.

Shame on you Josh. You have an Office kb that sucks?a lot. The Pro kb's pretty nice...but if you don't have the $$ to get one (SIXTY FREAKING DOLLARS FOR A KEYBOARD my parents used to say...) there's no point in getting one. Just go down to some yard sale and pick up like 70 keyboards for the price of a Pro keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.