Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
So now I've decided on my forum software (going for vBulletin), the same client has asked for a real-time chat facility to be set up, of the type you sometimes get after tv programs where someone in the show will be on-line and available to chat for say 30-60 minutes.

Has anyone done this before? If so, what host did you go for? My usual hosts (1and1) say that this type of activity puts a heavy strain on the database and as such is disallowed.

Suggestions very welcome

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Tried shoutboxes?

Anyway, an IRC channel would also be good, but shoutboxes tend to be more convenient (plus, you don't have to worry about maintaining the irc channel)

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
janey said:
Tried shoutboxes?

Anyway, an IRC channel would also be good, but shoutboxes tend to be more convenient (plus, you don't have to worry about maintaining the irc channel)

:confused:
I'm showing my inexperience here, but I've no idea what an IRC channel or a shoutbox is...Could you elaborate a bit?

many thanks!

L

littlejim

londonweb said:
Has anyone done this before? If so, what host did you go for? My usual hosts (1and1) say that this type of activity puts a heavy strain on the database and as such is disallowed.

Suggestions very welcome

1and1 support is truly hopeless. I use them and love their prices but hate their support - phone and email.

I don't know if it is suitable and I've never used it, but all oneandone Linux hosting packages offer a ready made chat room facility.

If you already have a oneandone package, log in to the control panel and go to the 'Applications' area. You can set it up from there and see if it's suitable.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
thanks folks. 1and1 support is indeed hopeless, but I like their interface and have found them to be generally reliable. I used to use Hostway but I find their interfaces truly horrendous and they caused me a hugely embarrassing screw up whereby one of my clients ended up having their credit card debited for a different client's web hosting. They got the boot...

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Chat

It is true that some chat scripts strain server load, especially if the server has many shared accounts. most C-Panel host offer a chat program called entropy free with your hosting package. It is by no means a slick program but it works. To get a really decent chat program, you would need to run a chat server, which would need to be installed on a server, and cost a bit more than shared hosting.
E-mail if you want some recommendations.
Good luck,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.