Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akhilleus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Am I alone? I feel like everyone's all about CASE CASE CASE, but the thing is designed to be pretty sleek and simple as-is. Plus I hate the extra bulk of an already hefty phone. I've dropped my 3GS and 4S countless times and the things keep ticking.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
You're not alone. Cases are for scatterbrains, so live free or die trying.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I don't use a case either, I hate the bulk it adds and the fact that it kills the look of the phone... I do own an apple leather case which I have used on occasion when I am doing something that may increase risk of dropping the phone, but this has been very rare. But I do think Most people use cases... not just on this site but overall from what I see in the streets.

This is why I find it so funny that there are countless threads of people complaining about the thick lines in the back of the upcoming iPhone 6, the majority of those complaining will just slap a case on their phone and never see them.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
I make cases, and I don't care if you're case-less. You're not everyone.

Not every case is for ULTIMATE PROTECTION for people with butter hands. Not every case is "IS THAT A GIANT EAR? HAW HAW" or "I take my iPhone diving" or "I need a TASER and bottle opener on my phone."

There's other stuff out there. I make some of it.

No matter what you hold dear, there is someone out there vehemently opposed to it; the idea that you would find it dear in the first place confuses and enrages them.

Solution? Keep on keepin' on.

So rock that iPhone with no case, and I will continue making cases. We can totally high five over our respective decisions! :D

This is why I find it so funny that there are countless threads of people complaining about the thick lines in the back of the upcoming iPhone 6, the majority of those complaining will just slap a case on their phone and never see them.

I welcome those who desire an escape from Jony Ive's big ol' lines! ;)

akhilleus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014

This x100.

RafixPhoenix

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
We'll pardon us, but maybe some of us WANT our phones to be in the same condition they were the day we got them for when we decide to sell them and make more $$$.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Just use a smart leather sleeve case. It provides reasonable protection in the pocket (vs keys etc.) but when you use it or take it out at home or when at a bar keeping an eye on the score (or whatever), there it is in all its uncased glory. Simple! Best of both worlds...

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
Cases aren't for everyone. Nobody's a fool for being with or without a case.
I've gone caseless off and on.

For me I at least will always have a glass screen protector. As tough as the glass is I almost always find fine scratches inevitably without them. Screen scratches can be annoying when watching a movie - most times it's hardly noticeable but impossible to ignore when you do.

Also the coating wears over time as a greasy spot. I like swapping the protector and have the new glass feeling. Hey, it's worth it for me.

The caseless 5s is very light and slippery. The cases I like add some grip. I'm not crazy about adding bulk, though. Magpul feels prefect in the hand. If they made a Magpul textured shell I'd order one in a heartbeat.

Some cases do look nice, though. Sometimes it's nice to change the look for fun.

I've seen enough folks using iPhones with cracked screens to make me paranoid.

I like tough and weatherproof electronics. My laptop is a Getac v110 which is tough as laptops get and I love it. Naked iPhone seems a little delicate for me.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
For me I at least will always have a glass screen protector.

I got a glass screen protector for a little over 4.00 us and it's amazing. I can't tell it's there by look or by feel. My phone will go to one of the kids when I get another so I try to keep it as good as possible and a glass protector is like having nothing on it. We don't have 1st world problems of having too much money laying around here.

I also use a spigen tough aromor case as I have big hands and the phone just feels too small and hard to hold without it. Having Rhumatoid arthritis doesn't help (especially with big hands), and I dropped it several times before the case (5c with slick, thin edges).

Imhzw

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Yesterday my 5c dropped from the bed and the corner sinked in.

Then I plan to buy a 5c case. But later I think that impacts feeling.

So I plan to change the battery and shell at the next year.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Always have and will use a case for protection. Also because I tend to be clumsy at times. I wish I was as brave and careful as everyone.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I always use a case. I don't think I've ever gone case-less in my years of using iPhones.

My relatives have gone case-less, dropped their phone, and shattered their screens. I don't want to have that happen to me, and I like the piece of mind.

That being said, cases aren't for everyone. Apple designs their products to stand up to daily wear-and-tear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.