Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinningplates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2002
i saw this thread about a month ago recommending "get info" from bare bones, but my demo has expired. why are files stuck on the desktop in the first place? "The item 'a' is being used by another task right now." Does anyone know the source of the problem and know how to fix it? Any software that doesn't expire?? I'm a mac newbie and would appreciate any help you can give. thanks.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
this happened to me once
i had a bunch of files stuck on my desktop and couldn't get them off. what i did was i rebooted into OS 9 and went onto my OS X desktop and dragged them into the trash.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
If you need to delete it they use either the sudo command or get one of those 'delete' programs that do it for you.
Look for 'Delete It' for one of those progs.

If you want to move it there is a command but you should just boot into 9.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
i had this problem as well. the easiest thing to do, as bennetsaysargh said, is to go into OS 9, locate your OS X desktop folder (its in your user folder) and to just drag the files into the trash.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
or you could use the "top" command in the terminal to find the pid number (in the far left column) of "a" and use the "kill" command to quit it

hit q while running top to quit it and the syntax for the kill command is "kill" and then a space and the the pid number of the process that you want to end

after doing this you should be able to do whatever you want with the file (assuming you have permissions)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
if you're an admin user, open up Terminal.app and type in:
Code:
sudo rm -rf
with a space after f. Then drag the file or multiple selected files into the terminal window. Enter your admin password.

Gone.

spinningplates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2002
thank you so much! terminal.app did a wonderful job! what relief! the files are gone! freedom! thanks again!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by macfreek57
or you could use the "top" command in the terminal to find the pid number (in the far left column) of "a" and use the "kill" command to quit it

hit q while running top to quit it and the syntax for the kill command is "kill" and then a space and the the pid number of the process that you want to end

after doing this you should be able to do whatever you want with the file (assuming you have permissions)

a lot of times stuck files are due to permission problems and not processes accessing the files. you should be able to put a file that's in use in the trash, and a reboot should then make the file inaccessible to the program. doesn't always work like this, and messing around with killing processes can be very bad to your system...

pnw

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
be careful with rm -rf though :)

rm -rf can be dangerous if u dont use it cautiously :) u can delete entire hardrive if u drag a wrong icon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.